It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:31 pm 

In Old Portsmouth yesterday I spotted that a few streets have had their heritage fittings replaced with Pudsey Diamond Dickens lanterns featuring the Varoptic LED system which mimics gas mantles. The fact that more than a single street has had renewals would suggest Portsmouth are perhaps starting to embark on replacing heritage lighting with LED heritage lighting. Amongst other things, this would see the ageing Phosco P109s replaced, of which most ran vertically mounted SON-E lamps with refractor rings, though a couple of mercury examples may still have survived.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:12 pm 
Random avatar

Tonight, while walking under my nearest main road lighting, I noticed that the original 90-degree curved brackets on some Fabrikat columns from the mid 90s have been swapped out for the staple fancier brackets that my local council loves using, which look like this. I believe this to be the last road in the borough to have its brackets swapped. The TRT Aspect lanterns have been retained.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:23 am 

I was on the 43 bus the other day and passed through Archway. In that area , quite a number of the tons of Amperas installed in that area were dayburning. To my shock, most of the LEDS have failed in these lanterns. In some cases around half or more of the LED tray had failed. I don’t know when these were installed but that’s shockingly poor. At this rate this stretch will need to be replaced in a few years, certainly not economic at all. I always loathed the Ampera anyway. Never looks good on any column. Oversized and clunky. Probably my least favourite LED lantern. On the other hand there were some shiny new LED lanterns installed when we got to the Barnet council area, all on sage green columns and painted green themselves. I don’t know what these are but they’re some of the best, most sleek looking LED lanterns I’ve seen. Some of them had a noticeable cold light to them too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:27 am 
Random avatar

Alpha3 wrote:
On the other hand there were some shiny new LED lanterns installed when we got to the Barnet council area, all on sage green columns and painted green themselves. I don’t know what these are but they’re some of the best, most sleek looking LED lanterns I’ve seen. Some of them had a noticeable cold light to them too.

They're Philips LumiStreets, they have also been installed in neighbouring Enfield and Portsmouth.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:38 pm 
Random avatar

And to add to that, Barnet as well as Enfield are pretty much all LED now, apart from the few Arcs that escaped replacement.