It is currently Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: South Coast PFI
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:25 pm 

I've not seen any further information relating to Lee-on-the-Solent, but evidently there is something going on, because why would bulk lantern replacements occur otherwise?

Axia 3 is definitely the preferred lantern of choice at present for casual replacements, whereas on recent schemes I've seen Luma Gen2s.

As for other news, there was a meeting on 10th March 2022. The timeline for LED replacements (which was approx 12,000 higher powered units, i.e. on main roads) has shifted to 2022, 2023 and 2024 financial years. However, they note that there could be further delays, and have not ruled out scrapping the idea but potentially proceeding with smaller scale projects in the future.

It seems the recent changes to dimming regimes link in with all this. They've dimmed lighting further as a mitigation, as a way to make savings which didn't materialise due to delays with the LED project. Interestingly, they have calculated that dimming residential lighting further would save £291,509 per year, whilst dimming main roads further would save £202,706 per year. I say that's interesting, because consider how many residential lighting units there are compared with main road lighting units. Ignoring gear losses and assuming percentage dimming is proportional to power consumption; going from 45% dimming to 65% dimming on a 36W Libra would be like going from 20W to 13W, whereas going from 25% dimming to 40% dimming on a 150W Iridium would be like going from 113W to 90W, so typically you might estimate that dimming a typical main road lantern would save three times the power compared with dimming a typical residential lantern. But as I say, these are crude calculations.

Profile  Personal album