It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:19 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Fantastic find there! I'm surprised they've managed to survive so long; probably on the grounds that they're relatively inaccessible.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:40 pm 

A few have gone as they're building housing on part of the grounds. I think the ones in the industrial estate will remain but two are still in the housing area. I will ask the workers when on my lunch to see. They only have demolition plant so not sure of they could save the fitting but will see.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:13 pm 

Found a Revo / Simplex Diadem on Fir Tree Grove in Boldmere (near Sutton Coldfield). Don't know what these are running as haven't seen them at night. There are a couple more in the private grounds of a block of flats. Been a while since I've seen these fittings in use.

Attachment:
revo - boldmere.jpg
revo - boldmere.jpg [ 657.77 KiB | Viewed 24975 times ]

Attachment:
revo - boldmere1.jpg
revo - boldmere1.jpg [ 195.18 KiB | Viewed 24975 times ]

https://goo.gl/maps/sWBYXbZMLJ42

Chris

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:03 pm 

Looks like Derbyshire CC are starting to replace the vintage SOX lanterns around Glossop. I wonder if those Alpha 1's that I saw around the New Mills area are still hanging on?

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/council/news_events/news-updates/2016/april/news_items/work_to_replace_street_lights_in_glossop.asp

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:38 pm 
Site Administration

A few Alpha 3s still exist on the A45 Small Heath Road in Birmingham, including this twin bracket example.

In Tamworth, a real gem Thorn Alpha 5 on Stanton and Staveley concrete column.

Further Stantons, but with Philips MA50s, gear in body versions.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:53 pm 
Random avatar

Although widespread replacement of lighting stock with LEDs has not reached many of the villages in Nottinghamshire as yet, casual replacements seem to be always with Holophane V-Max (single arrays).  Happily SOX lives on in many corners of the county, such as here in Besthorpe (nr Newark) where Thorn Beta 5s light the A1133;

Attachments:
Besthorpe Notts (800x400).jpg
Besthorpe Notts (800x400).jpg [ 168.69 KiB | Viewed 24311 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:13 pm 
Site Administration

Back in September 2012 Phosco152 wrote:
How about this 1/2 mile stretch of 1980s Stainton 8m columns with gear in shoe MA90s in Lincolnshire on a dead straight road. Not a single casual replacement of lanterns or columns and the only non original change is the fitting of SELC electronic photocells.

Since that time there was one replacement column installed, but in the last year the Street Lighting Transformation Project has swept through Lincolnshire. Basically main road lanterns have been replaced with LED and side road lanterns made part night.

The LED lantern is the TRT Aspect.

In my original post, the Stainton columns shown in GSV, have had their brackets cut back and the LED lanterns fitted. Sleeved concrete columns seem to have retained the original outreach sleeves but retrofitted with the Aspects.

Fortunately 35 and 55W SOX (and some CFL) remains for side road lighting.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:08 pm 
Site Administration

Derbyshire still retains a surprising amount of SOX lighting even on main roads.

There has been some conversion to LED, and new schemes are also LED but on the whole, legacy lighting (SOX and SON) seems to be largely left as is, with LED just being used for casual replacements. Concrete columns are still widespread, although sleeved.

In the Derwent valley west of Ripley is this fine stretch of 135W SOX on 10m columns with an Alpha 4 and GEC Z9554Ms.

These
sleeved CU concretes would have had twin brackets originally but are now sleeved.

Crich is one village where there has been conversion to LED with Phosco P852 lanterns, but many lanterns have been missed with Beta 2s and 5s still about. Even better are these Thorn Gamma 3s in the village square.

Sadly the weather was very overcast and telephone wires abundant. They have inline/column mounted Royce Thompson P42 photocells.

Nearby, is this cast iron column, with AC Ford control box and Thorn Beta 5.

It has for some reason escaped LED conversion, but could do with some fresh paint!

Further along the valley are some private installations of note.

At this industrial complex outside Ambergate is a
GEC ZD10839

At this old petrol station an Alpha 3 and GEC9532 share the same bracket to the right of the canopy.

In the market town of Wriksworth is this low wall mounted Beta 5.

Plenty of main and side road SOX in this village as well.

Meanwhile further east in Codnor, this pub is flanked by GEC Z5643 "China hat" post top lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:26 pm 
Site Administration

Matlock in Derbyshire, still has several Mk2 Alpha 8s as well as few later Mk3s.

2 wall mounted here, although the one on the right has lost its bowl.

Close up.

Gear in body Philips MA90s with an Arc in the background.

Another pair of Alpha 8s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:55 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Matlock in Derbyshire, ...

Gear in body Philips MA90s with an Arc in the background.

If I remember correctly, Atlas / Thorn products were very popular around Matlock and the surrounding areas. Alpha 1s were extensively used, being a feature here for a long time until SGS203s saw them off in the early 90s.

The Mk2 Alpha 8s were also used in Buxton mounted on the existing S&L columns (I suspect some still remain, looking at GSV). I think the Alpha 8s replaced GEC Z8427s which presumably burned mercury lamps. I certainly remember seeing one of these back in the mid 80s on the junction of Bakewell Road (A6) and Spring Gardens (A53) in the town centre. What was interesting was that the integral canopy / bowl had unclipped itself and was swinging from its "shoe".

Towards Chinley and Whaley Bridge, the main roads were once lit with Alpha 5 SLi lanterns, on sleeved concrete columns. All long gone now of course, however a short stretch of Alpha 9s on the A5004 / Buxton Road still survive.