It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:57 pm 

Gramma6 wrote:
A Z9574? Never knew such a model existed! Full of surprises GEC eh?  ;)

Re: The Eleco GR200 / GEC Z9574 (180W SOX).
I was interested to read about the above Eleco lantern, also being a product of the GEC.  Anyway, I came across this leaflet whilst having a sort through my old streetlighting bumf, which does indeed prove such a product existed or was at least publicised! Although there is no date, I would suspect it is late 80s, as it indicates 131W SOX-E lamps. Was this simply "badge engineering" or a case of producing under licence? Whilst slightly off topic, Manchester Corporation were huge users of both the iconic GRs and Revo Hyperions, especially in conjunction with their new "standard" column of the 60s - the hexagonal Adastra from "Poles Ltd". These were to be found on the majority of Group A roads, mainly replacing former MCT traction poles. In the name of progress however, all these "new" installations were swept away by the Amey PFI around 2007. It is fair to assume that subject to the purchasing policy of the council, some of these GR200s may well have been of GEC heritage.

Attachments:
GEC Z9574.JPG
GEC Z9574.JPG [ 252.99 KiB | Viewed 14906 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:26 am 

GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:
Gramma6 wrote:

What a great find, quite amazing seeing the catalogue entry.

I think it was me that raised the subject initially, as I have one of these GEC/GR200's in my collection. The lantern is currently in an inaccessible place, but when I can eventually get to it, I will get some pictures, if I haven't already posted some.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:43 pm 
Random avatar

GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:
Gramma6 wrote:

I was interested to read about the above Eleco lantern, also being a product of the GEC.  Anyway, I came across this leaflet whilst having a sort through my old streetlighting bumf, which does indeed prove such a product existed or was at least publicised! Although there is no date, I would suspect it is late 80s, as it indicates 131W SOX-E lamps. Was this simply "badge engineering" or a case of producing under licence? Whilst slightly off topic, Manchester Corporation were huge users of both the iconic GRs and Revo Hyperions, especially in conjunction with their new "standard" column of the 60s - the hexagonal Adastra from "Poles Ltd". These were to be found on the majority of Group A roads, mainly replacing former MCT traction poles. In the name of progress however, all these "new" installations were swept away by the Amey PFI around 2007. It is fair to assume that subject to the purchasing policy of the council, some of these GR200s may well have been of GEC heritage.

In the specification write-up in the above catalogue page it states that the lantern's optical system is made to BS589 Part 2: 1987.  The 01 dialling code for London was changed in May 1990 according to Wikipedia if that helps in indentifying the date of the catalogue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:53 pm 

Derbyshire County Council has today approved a £23m loan to upgrade 68,000 columns to LED

Most conversions so far have involved installation of new columns as many are old concretes, so it's likely we'll be seeing a lot of sleeved Stanton 7s disappear, and of course most of those 68,000 units will be currently running SOX.

More details at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Council ... story.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:44 am 
Site Administration

And in nearby Leicestershire, Leicestershire County Council plans £25m LED street light spend.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:53 am 

Found via the Tulip Radio website under news, weather and travel.

Lincolnshire County Council has planted a column in someones tree and is expecting the homeowner to maintain the tree when in fact it was the council who had installed the said column in the branches.

http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news/community/environment/lamppost-was-planted-in-my-conker-tree-1-6537876

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:12 am 
Site Administration

Another case of "hysterical" headlines. The column isn't new, and hasn't just been installed.

The council are correct. If the tree is in a garden and overhangs the footpath, then the householder is responsible.

Whilst columns are usually situated away from trees it may not always be possible if other utilities are in the way or if moving the column will affect the column spacing too much.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:48 pm 

According to Highways Magazine, central government has announced funding for street lighting improvements in Leicestershire:

Quote:
The conversion of all Leicestershire’s street lighting to LED lamps (combined with the introduction of a ‘Central Management System’) and the de-illumination of traffic signs on bollards.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:48 pm 

In September 2013, mazeteam wrote:
Here's one from Tipton I forgot to post the other day...
No less than 8 Alpha 1's... but I think it's actually 9!

Well it's sad news for the Sandwell Council area...

Sandwell Streetlights to get a new LED overhaul

As with neighbouring Dudley, Sandwell is currently a heavy user of the Alpha One, but they may all be gone by Christmas.

Yet another town once worth a trip out with the camera is in danger of crossing itself off the list.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:09 pm 
Site Administration

2 examples of the rare cut-off version of the  GEC Z9454 (Z9454C) at an over bridge at Peterborough railway station.

Profile  Personal album