It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:34 am 
Random avatar

Does anyone know what that Revo lamp post is I've put in the gallery?

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=14&image_id=3239

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:03 pm 

Re: street lighting in Matlock area.

Following on from a recent discussion on the lighting I this area, I thought I would update you all on the current situation. Whilst LED continues to replace Philips SGS lanterns from the 90s, SOX is still to be found in use here in the outskirts of the town centre. A particularly nice stretch of survivors is on the A632 (Limetree Road) from Matlock to Chesterfield. here is as mixture of Eleco GR100s and Thorn Beta 8s on what I think are S&L columns from the 1960s. Nearby is an increasingly rare find - a twin arm column with its original Eleco lanterns.

Another area which still has its SOX service is Starkholmes Road, which is just outside Matlock. Here you can still find Eleco GR5011s on a mixture of steel columns. Some have plain uplift brackets , whilst others have "Zed" necks. The lanterns look to be burning 35W with some having had their bowls secured by large cable ties. Nice to see them still in use.

The only disappointing news is that it looks like the two Falks Beaufort lanterns which I noticed a few years ago on the little service station on the A6 / Dale Road North have since been removed. It might have happened a while ago, but you'll likely know which location I am referring to.

Anyway, I'll pop some more pics on in due course but for now, here is one of the columns on Starkholmes Road.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 514.81 KiB | Viewed 33461 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:45 pm 
Random avatar

£6m lighting upgrade in North Lincolnshire.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:08 pm 
Random avatar

North Lincolnshire Council appears to have started their street lighting replacement programme.

They have announced they'd be using Urbis LEDs for this programme as I've noticed on one road last night.

This road had already had two LED lights installed last year (Philips ones), and one this year (a Holophane VMAX) as casual replacements but two of these (the Philips ones) have also been replaced with the newer LEDs, even though there was no fault with them! The VMAX is still there though.

The Philips ones gave an excellent light output, and the Urbis ones look a bit dimmer in comparison.

Why would they do this?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:01 am 

Any street lighting enthusiasts visiting the Library of Birmingham, in Birmingham City Centre, would be well advised to go up to the rooftop garden and take a camera with them. The rear of the building looks down on Cambridge Street.

Cambridge Street, as viewed from the rooftop garden at the Library of Birmingham. All photographs in this post were taken last month (September 2017).

Four roads to the west of the Library of Birmingham have, very unusually, maintained an unspoilt installation of Phosco P222s to this day. These two are undrilled for photocells.

The rarely-seen top of a Phosco P222. Each of the three lamps in this one is celled individually.

The roundabout on Cambridge Street, as viewed from the ground, with the Library of Birmingham building in the background on the right. Four of the five Phosco P222s that light this roundabout are visible in this wideangle view.

The view along Cambridge Street.

There was a day-burner outside the Prince of Wales pub in Cambridge Street.

A close-up view of the day-burning P222.

This wideangle view of King Edward's Road contains ten Phosco P222s in total, and not a casual replacement in sight.

A closer view of the eight P222s on the right side of King Edward's Road in the above photograph.

St. Vincent Street in Birmingham City Centre is also populated by Phosco P222s, unspoilt between the King Edward's Road roundabout and Sheepcote Street.

On the path by the railway line which passes under St. Vincent Street, there is also a GEC ZD10606. The tubular SON lamp is visible inside.

Also unspoilt by casual replacements, Sheepcote Street is a sight to behold. There are eight Phosco P222s on the left side of the street in this photograph, and five on the right.

A zoomed-in view of the above photograph.

Sheepcote Street as seen from the other end of the road (the roundabout near Broad Street).

It is a surprise to see such an unspoilt installation of "saucers", firstly considering their age and secondly, considering their location here. Their light distribution is not ideally suited to a tightly-packed city centre residential street, as I imagine the residents of the upper floor flats would testify.

A final view of Sheepcote Street. Sadly I was only in Birmingham City Centre for a day, so I did not get to see this magnificent surviving installation by night.

If you're in Birmingham City Centre anytime soon, whether in the day or at night, a quick walk along Cambridge Street, St. Vincent Street, King Edward's Road or Sheepcote Street may be worth your while!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:39 am 
Site Administration

Excellent pictures David. Sheepcote Street had been mentioned back in this post in Feb 16, but its good to see more pictures from that location and that the lanterns are still there - given their power consumption, they may not be there for much longer.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:43 am 
Site Administration

deadendwaterfall wrote:
North Lincolnshire Council appears to have started their street lighting replacement programme.

They have announced they'd be using Urbis LEDs for this programme as I've noticed on one road last night.

This road had already had two LED lights installed last year (Philips ones), and one this year (a Holophane VMAX) as casual replacements but two of these (the Philips ones) have also been replaced with the newer LEDs, even though there was no fault with them! The VMAX is still there though.

The Philips ones gave an excellent light output, and the Urbis ones look a bit dimmer in comparison.

Why would they do this?

The Philips ones may have been part of a trial and have now been replaced with the actual chosen lanterns to be used in the area.

Or, as you noted, they may have been deemed too bright and the use of the Urbis lanterns allows a further power saving. The Vmax could also use less power than the Philips ones.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:16 pm 
Random avatar

Well some don't seem happy at all about the lighting scheme, wishing we could retain the old ones instead: http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/ne ... der-622182

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:19 pm 

Hi All,

As mentioned in another post I have recently been to Birmingham for a few days away. Whilst I was there I discovered a stretlighting gem. An area within the center has became a safe haven for the Cities Revo Festivals :)  here are some pics.

Attachments:
20171007_134220.jpg
20171007_134220.jpg [ 178.92 KiB | Viewed 33112 times ]
20171007_134217.jpg
20171007_134217.jpg [ 259.87 KiB | Viewed 33112 times ]
20171007_134213.jpg
20171007_134213.jpg [ 221.62 KiB | Viewed 33111 times ]
20171007_134209.jpg
20171007_134209.jpg [ 305.14 KiB | Viewed 33111 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:28 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
deadendwaterfall wrote:

Why would they do this?

The Philips ones may have been part of a trial and have now been replaced with the actual chosen lanterns to be used in the area.

Or, as you noted, they may have been deemed too bright and the use of the Urbis lanterns allows a further power saving. The Vmax could also use less power than the Philips ones.

The Vmax one has now also been replaced. But now the whole street looks much better with only LED lighting.