It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:14 pm 

Hi All,

I have never seen the revo festivals in Birmingham working, I wonder if they are fluorescent or LED?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:33 pm 
Random avatar

They run fluorescent lamps. The columns were repainted in 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:18 pm 
Site Administration

In Watford, this CU Highway X and Eleco GR100 has succumbed with a new post top sleeve and LED retrofit.

In the village of  Aspley Guise, Bedfordshire, an aluminium column with GEC Z5590, still running mercury survives.

Nearby another one on a cast iron column.

Also a steel column with a Beta 4.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:01 pm 
Random avatar

(I've posted this here, as when I posted about North Lincolnshire getting an LED lighting scheme, it was put into this thread, and I live in North Lincolnshire).

I decided to take an early morning walk half an hour ago and the road around the corner from where I live had all but two SOX lights replaced with LEDs last week. As I get back up this road again on my way home, I notice one of those cherry picker machine vans parked up next to one of the last remaining two SOX lights. The guy in the van then proceeds to open the covering on the lamppost and starts making adjustments.

I'm stood watching from a safe distance, (across the road) then I can hear him say f off to someone. He then approaches me and demands to know what I'm waiting for. I said I was watching the new light getting installed, and he said, "Nope, not whilst you're watching". I then go around the corner to another road to watch but he shouts "I suggest you move it before I call the police!"

I then retorted "I didn't know changing street lighting was top secret!" then went back home again.

I wasn't even taking any pictures, just merely watching!  :lol:

Has anybody else here ever watched street light work getting done and had abuse off anyone just for watching?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:29 pm 

Speaking to a member of the public like that is a disciplinable matter, if not a sackable matter, as it makes bad a company's name. Most companies have very strict guidelines on how to deal with the public, including if a member of the public approaches, be polite but avoid answering questions and direct them to contact the company's customer services.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:44 pm 
Random avatar

Sadly LED has wiped Though Peterborough and Sleaford in Lincolnshire with Peterborough having mostly All OrangeTeK.

Roundabouts using 400W SON-T are gone. Sleaford being my nearest town has had retrofits for the Deco lanterns. With around only a few Thorn Beta 2 55W,  Philips Mi 36 55W and 35W Phillips Mi26 and the odd Beta five left, the replacements being  TRT Aspect, Aspect Eco and a few TRT Aspect Mini.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:31 pm 
Formerly Paspie

Until very recently, the village of Aldbury in Hertfordshire was lit entirely with old top-entry mercury lanterns from utility brackets, possibly fitted with SON lamps by the end. The latest GSV images suggest that the upgrade programme have reached these this year, replaced the lanterns with Axia 2's along with new pole brackets.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:45 pm 
Random avatar

During the LED lighting rollout in North Lincolnshire, whenever a new column has been installed on a main road, they have used a column style where the top corner of the column isn't slightly curved and instead straight giving the whole column a straight L shape.

Is there any particular reason why they'd use this style of column, ie any benefits to it?

Here's an example: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Cj4FZmwVSw22XzLU7 (If you look at the 2016 street view imagery, you'll see concrete columns and a few curved at the top styled casual replacement steel columns, but look at the street view imagery taken this year, and all the concrete columns have been replaced with the L shaped steel columns).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:02 pm 

deadendwaterfall wrote:
...If you look at the 2016 street view imagery, you'll see concrete columns and a few curved at the top styled casual replacement steel columns, but look at the street view imagery taken this year, and all the concrete columns have been replaced with the L shaped steel columns).

Aside from those who would recognise the GSV image due to its locality, it is accurate to describe this streetscene of having a fairly typical UK streetlighting installation which can be found replicated in most places in the UK.

The new columns with the plain outreach comprises the most commonly used combination (and probably the most aesthetically displeasing, depending on which lantern is used). In my opinion, the best looking columns were the octagonal tapering design which were popular in the 80s. Any lantern would look good on them and they blended in with most streetscenes. I've not seen any of these installed recently though.

The curved top brackets you describe are most likely still available, but are probably more expensive to buy.

Interestingly, since the introduction of LED lanterns, the traditional 5% uplift on the outreach bracket, is seemingly obsolete by the need for the lantern to be perfectly horizontal to the road.

In the Stockport area, the 5m concrete columns which still survive are being casually resleeved to 6m with a bracket which has no uplift at all. Interestingly, the existing Beta 5 is refitted afterwards, although I suspect this is only a temporary fix until a possible LED programme gets under way.

Attachments:
IMG_2520 (2).JPG
IMG_2520 (2).JPG [ 673.75 KiB | Viewed 32274 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:07 pm 
Random avatar

Lincslighting wrote:
Sadly LED has wiped Though Peterborough and Sleaford in Lincolnshire with Peterborough having mostly All OrangeTeK.

Roundabouts using 400W SON-T are gone. Sleaford being my nearest town has had retrofits for the Deco lanterns. With around only a few Thorn Beta 2 55W,  Philips Mi 36 55W and 35W Phillips Mi26 and the odd Beta five left, the replacements being  TRT Aspect, Aspect Eco and a few TRT Aspect Mini.

Regarding what I said on my old account since then Peterborough has now started using Urbis (mainly Ampreas). But in Lincolnshire SOX still remains, side roads mainly lit by 35 & 55 Watt SOX with only a few LEDs (TRT Aspect Ecos). Most quiet and small side roads have had Blue SELC 8480 (Part Night) photocells switching at 35 Lux (on) 00:00 off 06:00 (on if required) ,18 Lux Switch off if it’s after 06:00.

With main roads and very busy side roads using general photocells (No CMS). But recently I noticed that a road not far from me has had NOS Philips XGS 103 after replacing a Thorn Beta 5 and an Philips Mi26. And from the last time o spoke to a contractor he said” SOX will remain here in Lincolnshire for many more years to come”. And the other words was “we are getting SOX bulbs, equipment  and lanterns from other counties and getting bulbs from Europe itself as well”.