It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Wales
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:05 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Great photos there, Indust - it is great to see so many surviving SOX lanterns.

Quote:
An Urbis ZX3 (150W SON) awaiting replacement next to a new LED lantern (if anyone can help with identification here). Both are currently lit!

I believe that is an Urbis Senso 2

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:42 am 

I've been told a lot of the old mercury lighting around Colwyn Bay has gone now, replaced by Sapphires.

Conwy borough might also be active, so if anybody's in the area it might be an idea to check on the mercuries around Llandudno.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:01 pm 
Random avatar

Just found this amazing survivor on Newton Road in Swansea, which I believe is a shallow-bowled Eleco SR305. There is another one a bit further down the hill. A bit further along, at the junction with Mumbles Road, is this wacky double-bracket S&L installation with Turtles. The bracket on the right is longer than the left one!

Meanwhile, Denbigh Street in Llanwrst had a couple of Alpha 1s. One was wall-mounted, the other was on an S&L column behind the camera. The wall-mounted one looks like it has been retrofitted with a grey Sapphire - not sure about the column-mounted one though. Also note the Phosco P567s installed at unusual column heights for the lantern.

Here's an even more unusual use for Urbis Sintras in Gilwern.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:23 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Some great finds there, particularly the Alpha 1.

Quote:
Here's an even more unusual use for Urbis Sintras in Gilwern.

Now they may be fairly ugly but they're quite rare for the UK - you usually only find such deep bowled variants on the continent.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:28 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
Now they may be fairly ugly but they're quite rare for the UK - you usually only find such deep bowled variants on the continent.

Yes, not the prettiest of lanterns I admit! They've been used a lot in their shallow, refractor bowled form in Redbridge though to light the wider back streets and they're quite common in a post-top, flat-glass form in Hounslow! But these ones in Gilwern are extremely unusual, being deep-bowl and fitted to S&L columns.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:25 pm 
Random avatar

I went on my annual trip to South Wales and as usual, have provided some photographs of the lighting there.

Neath is still quite a SOX haven. In the foreground is a GEC Z9554 which has lost its bowl, with an Eleco G200 on a long bracket to the right, and twin Z9564s on a large double bracket at the back.

These setups are used throughout West Glamorgan. On the left we have a GEC Z9564 and on the right an Eleco GR200, both running 180w SOX.

Approaching the M4 from Neath are a couple of these interesting 90 degree brackets holding MA60s

This part of the M4 is still lit exclusively by SOX.

An A road I photographed a couple of years ago is still lit by ZX3s on 10 metre unsleeved concrete columns with large brackets.

Barry - On the left we have a 1970s column with a ZX3 and on the right, a 1980s column fitted with a Z8526. The column on the left would have probably originally supported a GR150 as there is an example like this nearby.

Columns and retrofits galore! Including GEC Z8526s, Philips Iridiums, Urbis ZX3s and WRTL Arcs!

The columns for the bridge to Barry Island are very tall to make them suitable.

The columns are made by Stanton and are likely to have been installed in the 80s. They would have all probably held GEC Turtles from new but over time, they have diminished. Note the temporary door fitted.

I will make a further post in due course with some of the lighting from north west Wales.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:34 pm 
Random avatar

North West and West Wales.

Here are some photos from Harlech, which is in the Meirionnydd district of Gwynedd.

GEC Z9454 - These, and the WRTL equivalent are very popular in the area.

WRTL MRL90 in front of Harlech  - It has a white painted canopy.

Thorn Beta 79. These are quite rare in the area.

Davis GR70. There a few of these about.

Simplex Jupiter. There is only one remaining example in this town but there are a few more in surrounding towns such as Aberdovey. Unfortunately this example is in poor condition with both the door to the shoe being taped up, as well as one of the front clips failing.

View from the castle

Close up

1990s Thorn Beta 2, 55w SOX.

Some of the railway lighting at Harlech station includes aging flatglass Philips SGS203s, painted green! Notice the difference in bracket lengths.

WRTL MRL90s

1980s Thorn Beta 2

More Thorn Beta 2s. These are common in the area.

REVO Lucidor lighting a carpark however I think this may have been the standard fit for this area in a past. This is in private use.

As... In Barmouth, there is an identical installation! This is lighting some sort of council storage area.

ZX3s, the front example is on an interesting 90 degree double bracket.

This nearby village uses Davis GR70s and lanterns I am not familiar with. If anyone can help with an identification, I would be most grateful (the lantern on the left).

Machynlleth
Thorn Alpha 4s are fairly common in Mach, which is in the county of Powys. There is evidence in the form of postcards which show Eleco GR100s on the columns previously, but they are unlikely to be original to the columns.

Thorn Alpha 8s are also common in the area, both flat glass and bowled examples exist. This example is on an S&L column.

Last edited by Indust on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:06 am 

Some nice pics there.

A comment about postcards from the past reminded me that the lighting columns on the bridge to Conwy are not original... older photos show S&L 25ft columns with Z9454s fitted.

I have reason to believe, through photos on Flikr, that the glass Acorn-Bowled GEC Z5560s going up the Great Orme in Llandudno have been replaced by Beta 2s - the concrete bracket simply cut back with a Stihl saw.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:47 am 

Indust wrote:
Philips MA30. There is only one remaining example in this town but there are a few more in surrounding towns such as Aberdovey. Unfortunately this example is in poor condition with both the door to the shoe being taped up, as well as one of the front clips failing.

This nearby village uses Davis GR70s and lanterns I am not familiar with. If anyone can help with an identification, I would be most grateful (the lantern on the left).

The first lantern is a Simplex Jupiter Major rather than a Philips MA30.

The unidentified lantern is one that I have wondered about previously, as I have trawled through the internet trying to identify it. Another collector has one in his collection, and it was labelled Holophane, although did not appear on their website. The lantern name began with 'A', but I cannot remember what it was.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:03 am 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
Some nice pics there.

A comment about postcards from the past reminded me that the lighting columns on the bridge to Conwy are not original... older photos show S&L 25ft columns with Z9454s fitted.

I have reason to believe, through photos on Flikr, that the glass Acorn-Bowled GEC Z5560s going up the Great Orme in Llandudno have been replaced by Beta 2s - the concrete bracket simply cut back with a Stihl saw.

Cheers MT. Llandudno was always somewhere I wanted to visit, and I maintain that I will get there one day but when I was at uni in Aber, the only suitable route of getting there was by train which went all the way to Shrewsbury before going up to North Wales and I remember it was quite expensive!

sotonsteve wrote:
The first lantern is a Simplex Jupiter Major rather than a Philips MA30.

The unidentified lantern is one that I have wondered about previously, as I have trawled through the internet trying to identify it. Another collector has one in his collection, and it was labelled Holophane, although did not appear on their website. The lantern name began with 'A', but I cannot remember what it was.

Ahh, thanks Steve. I'm not as familiar with other types of Turtles. After going on google I have to say the MA30 is much sleeker than the brutish Jupiter Major! As for the Holophane lantern, a quick search on Google found nothing... Can you remember the collector who has one? The village these are in has a fair few examples and they look fairly recent.

Profile  Personal album