It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:19 am 

mazeteam wrote:
the-gog wrote:
the council's recycled streetlight pile at the depot. It might be visible on Streetview. Look for Kirkhamsfield depot on Pool Road, and it's on the left hand side of the site right next to the main road.

All I can see are some bollards, two feeder pillars, some column brackets, and some barricades.

It must be quite out of date, then. In recent months as I've driven past, there's been quite a pile of redundant lights.

Post subject: Re: Wales
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:51 pm 
Random avatar

A quick update, LED lighting has appeared in Carmarthen, just off the Pensarn roundabout, where road improvement works near the McDonalds have taken place. They are quite unusual in that when lit there are two distinct 'areas' of LEDs, side-by-side, with a definate gap inbetween.
Back in Bridgend, a drive about Cefn Glas earlier this evening has revealed two previously unknown post-top mercury burning lanterns.
The Cefn Glas area of Bridgend has seen vast quantities of CDM burning lanterns installed recently, as seen here.
http://goo.gl/maps/k7zVU

The two mercuries found were a nice surprise, this example looking very ill at night, very dim, and so has not seen a lamp change in a long time.
http://goo.gl/maps/BAmyh

This Z5670 was in much better condition, with a very bright lamp lighting up the area around it very well, so much so I would think a 125w lamp was installed!
http://goo.gl/maps/67RSZ

Always nice to stumble upon things like this, even when you think there is little hope of finding anymore MBF with so much replacement of other lanterns going on in the area.

Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:17 pm 
Random avatar

Looking on Streetview around Tenby, I can across this fantastic looking installation. Looks to be GLS, and with refractor!  :shock:
Anyone know what it is?

http://goo.gl/maps/25OaC

Im down that way next week so will swing by and see if its still there.

Mike.

P.S. What on earth are these things?!
http://goo.gl/maps/WNXMZ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:26 pm 

gwilisandt wrote:
P.S. What on earth are these things?!
http://goo.gl/maps/WNXMZ

The closest match I can find is a Thorn Gamma 9, but the base doesn't look quite right. Whatever though, there's a lot of them on that street though! :shock:

(The proportions of the base casting/spinning look about the same as on a Little Chef lantern)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:11 pm 
Random avatar

I've finally got the internet in my house now so I thought I'd start by updating the situation in Aberystwyth. Since coming back after summer, a lot of LED lanterns have been present. A lot of the SON lanterns (i.e. K-Luxs and ZX1s) and some Induction lanterns (Arcs) have been replaced by LED Sapphire 1s. I'm really not a fan of these, I find them very glary and the lighting distribution is quite patchy.

WRTL Lumas at 10m have replaced a vast amount of MA60s on 12m columns and although I'm sad to see the SOX go, the Lumas do a much better job than the Sapphires seem to do.

Also, the bus station is currently being done up and there are "parent and child" LED lanterns on the same columns, replacing a mixture of SGS203s, CosmoIridiums and SONIridiums.

My street this year is lit mainly by LED Sapphires, although there are also two Induction lamped Arcs, one Induction lamped K-Lux and two SOX Gamma 6s. The main road by my street still retains many Eleco GR150s however there are a lot of outages and red burning SOX lamps so it wouldn't surprise me if replacement of these are imminent. Link

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:37 pm 
Random avatar

Fire up the flux capacitor folks!
After finding the superb 'Remembering Bridgend' page on facebook, I looked through the photos for streetlighting interest, and here are some of the photos that caught my eye. I can identify some lanterns, but some are a mystery to me. I hope those here can help.
Quarella road, 1970's. CU 2D columns, a favourite around bridgend. Alas most all gone.

The saucer on the right I have not been able to identify with any certainty.

These post tops also are a mystery to me, look like they could be fluorescent.

A fantastic looking Holophane 370, pity its long gone.

Tall fluorescent here at the side of the post office. (Gamma 1?)

Possibly a GLS Eleco Welwyn on a converted gas column?

These always look massive dont they? lol!

I have no idea what these are, but a column remains outside the station. All the rest gone. http://goo.gl/maps/881eQ

A favourite amongst SOX fans, a Beta 3.

Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:00 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Wow fantastic photos!! I particularly like the last picture of the Beta Three

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:24 am 
Site Administration

From the top:

GEC 9480 on CU 2D concrete column.
Gamma 8.
Revo "Eastbourne" or GEC Z8455
Gamma 1
GEC Z8370 series for the twin 5ft fluorescents
The "turtle" maybe a Revo Jupiter

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:22 am 
Random avatar

Just thought I'd make a contribution to this page as it's been a few months since anybody has posted on here! I remember when I was on my way to a field trip to the Gower Peninsula back in March 2011 I saw some very interesting golden oldies!

First though, let's start on the M4 and the A483 into Swansea! Both roads are lit with completely unspoilt stretches of MA50s (see here and here (with remote geared lanterns on the A483 slip roads. There is a stretch of Arcs around the roundabout by the Earlswood Golf Course, but the MA50s return after it. After the Gower Chemicals factory (which has some bowl-less Alpha 3s installed on concrete columns all around it, GR200s, GEC Z9564s and MA50s and 60s make an appearance.

After a stretch of black flat-glass ZX3s and these unusual installations with what look like Urbis Hestias installed, it's GR200s and MAs again, then you get these these wonderful installations with Z9564s. However, there are some big gaps in the lighting where it sadly looks as if some of the columns have suffered from corrosion and have been cut down to just above the base and capped. These have been like this for at least a year, as they were like this when I passed through in early 2011 and the Streetview is from June 2012. I'm surprised they haven't been replaced with MA50s by now!

After a stretch of post-top Sapphires around Swansea University, Sketty Lane and Sketty Park Road are all GR200s, with very few MA casual replacements.

Gower Road is the most interesting out of the lot though. At its junction with Sketty Park Road is this Z9554 on an S&L column and an extremely unconventional S&L installation with Turtles. The former installation with the Z9554 is, from what I can remember, what used to light a couple of the main roads near where I live in the London Borough of Redbridge, but with GR150s installed, before ZX3s wiped them out in the mid 1990s. From there on, Gower Road is lit with a mix of Z9554s, GR150s and MAs (with the odd Sapphire here and there) on various columns. As the road passes through Killay, Revo Hyperion Cs make an appearance. It's then a largely unspoilt stretch of Z9554s before we lose the lighting as we enter the countryside of the Gower Peninsula.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:48 pm 
Random avatar

I've been through that part of Swansea and it was very nice to see so many Z9564s, although, as you say, some of them are in poor condition and I'm not at all surprised that the capped columns have been replaced, as the maintenance of lighting seems pretty lack down there.

Here are some more photos of Aberystwyth!

Quebec Road still boasts a fine offering of Eleco GR150s with there being EIGHT in this photo (not including an SRS201 replacement at the end of the road). Sadly, this will probably be lost soon to the Luma domination, which seeks to replace columns installed in the early 70s. Many of the lanterns on this road did burn red or were out, however many have been relamped recently, but still face being removed.

Aging 1970s Eleco GR150. This one is set further away from the road for some reason.

2000s Philips SRS201 (150W SOX)

Now for a rare sight, a lantern from the 1970s retrofitted onto a much newer column (late 90s?) I'm surprised the lantern wasn't just replaced when the new column was installed. It is not clear if this will survive the LED lantern replacement works.

1990s WRTL MRL6 (250/400W SON) This must've been one of the first SON lanterns in the town, and was the only one after its neighbour got replaced a couple of years ago. This has now been replaced.

1970s Eleco GR150s, 135W SOX. The lantern in the foreground is being replaced as I type this. Note different bracket lengths.

GEC Z9554 (135W SOX). Examples exist in the town but replacement schemes have taken their toll in the past years - There are no deep bowled examples remaining now. This however, has escaped the replacement works on Llanbadarn Road, most probably as it is not as old as the GR150 installations. SOX and LED lighting contrast at night really is something!

The new order of the day in Aberystwyth! WRTL Luma running LEDs.

Close up.

An Urbis ZX3 (150W SON) awaiting replacement next to a new LED lantern (if anyone can help with identification here). Both are currently lit!

1980s Philips MA50s, gear in shoe.

Close up. Notice long bracket and seagull!

1990s Philips MA60, 180W SOX. A section of these have already been replaced by WRTL Lumas.

This one, however is fitted with a node.

Urbis K-Lux running an induction lamp.

Eleco GR151, 135W SOX. A very rare lantern and now sadly the last lantern remaining in the town. Two more did exist a couple of years ago by a level crossing, but were replaced by Urbis Sapphire 3s, which, themselves have now been replaced by Lumas.

Close up, this is not due for replacement however some columns on this road are becoming heavily corroded and are being cut and capped. This lantern has not long just received a new lamp.

Eleco GR150 on Fabrikat column, in surprisingly good condition.

Three generations of lantern in one photo! Foreground: Eleco GR150 with Philips SRS201 (135W) in the background, and then twin Iridiums. Both of the SOX lanterns were unlit until recently, although wiring for new columns has been completed and therefore replacement is imminent.

Eleco GR150, a close up of an example with a clouded  bowl!

Profile  Personal album