Acacia Cat wrote:
I was in wales recently, and I found some interesting examples

here

here

here

here

here

A mix of lights including MA50s, civics, lucidors, MRL90s and probably more

Thank you for pointing out these - I found the Darleks on streetview some time ago so I'm glad they are still surviving. I am planning on going to Port Talbot and Swansea respectively to hopefully photograph these:

It's not just a SOX mecca around there, it's an old SOX mecca! But hurry if you want to photograph anything from the Neath/Port Talbot area, as Thorn Civics and Urbis Aresas are replacing older installations at quite a fast speed!

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Wales
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:04 am 

Indust wrote:
Llandudno was always somewhere I wanted to visit, and I maintain that I will get there one day but when I was at uni in Aber, the only suitable route of getting there was by train which went all the way to Shrewsbury before going up to North Wales and I remember it was quite expensive!

Yes the rail network is a it hit and miss round Wales. From the west coast to Llandudno involves more or less coming back itno England and heading north via Chester... it takes about the same length of time doing that as it does to get to Llandudno from York!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:26 pm 
Random avatar

I've noticed the past week that the days are finally numbered for the famous open SOX Mazda lantern on the 2D column on Glyncollen Drive in Swansea. New tall stainless steel columns sporting LED lanterns have sprung up along the road. Passing Friday night only one end of the road had been changed over, the rest still running the SOX, the Mazda being one of them.
LED lanterns have been replacing others all over Swansea recently, usually on existing columns. Townhill and Mayhill are virtually all LED now, and they are spreading fast!
Whilst I've little interest in SOX, (I think LED is an improvement!) I can understand the significance of the Mazda, and open lanterns in general.
I'll make some enquiries as to if it can be saved.

Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:40 pm 

I think that would be a very wise move.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:37 am 

Indeed. Even if you have no interest in keeping the lantern yourself Mike, I'm sure Claire, one of the Simon's, or another collector will happily house it!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:14 am 
Random avatar

I found this near Llandrindod Wells when we had to take a diversion on the way to Machynlleth. Still fitted with a GLS lamp too!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:54 pm 
Random avatar

South Wales, installment 1. When I say 1, there isn't actually a 2 yet as I haven't taken the photos, but I hope to next week!

Privately owned Phosco P172 in Port Talbot. This example does not work, but the other does.

The M4 between Port Talbot and Swansea is still completely unspoilt, just endless MA60s, no SON lanterns whatsoever. However, at least 1 in 5 lamps were out at night so a relamp must be around the corner soon!

Swansea, GEC Z9545s on upcranked brackets.

Swansea, GEC Z9564s. These are still popular. The road further down is being refurbished and this lighting further up has fallen into disrepair, with over half of the columns being cut and capped.

Twin Eleco GR200s. These lanterns are also still popular and are the last examples of 180w SOX lighting before the replacements.

Twin GEC Z9564s. The MA60s in the background currently do not have lamps or bowls.

Mumbles, Eleco GR501 (35w SOX). Despite the tape, a bracket and column this badly spalled needs to be replaced!!

Mumbles. A relatively new Philips XGS104

Mumbles Pier. This row of Gamma 6s will soon be removed due to the refurbishment works.

Mumbles. Phosco P152 on cast-iron column. Quite a find!

Full installation. There was also an Atlas Beta 5 near by but I unfortunately did not know this at the time.

Leaving Swansea towards the M4 sees more 180w SOX on a different dual carriage way. On the left we have an MA60 with an interesting shoe, and on the right is a Z9564.

More GEC Z9564s. These have completely diminished due to casual replacements as you can see.

A large stretch of the M4 is lit by Thorn Pilotes, either side of the Severn Bridge. They are flat glass and surprisingly look quite clean. Notice how one Pilote is about to lose its canopy!

Retrofits including Philips Trafficvisions, Urbis Evolos, Thorn Civics, Philips SGS102 'Streetfighters', Urbis ZX3s as well as the large and small Iridium also exist.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:44 am 
Site Administration

Excellent pictures, well done to capturing those "big SOX" installations before they go. PS your P152 is actually a P153 as its side entry..  ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:07 am 
Random avatar

Thank you! Hahahaha, Phosco P152 said that it actually a Phosco P153 sounds funny out of context!

I hope they haven't all gone by the time I get back there next week. To be fair though, it has taken 2 years so far so one more week shouldn't hurt! I hope to photograph the old converted GEC SLI lanterns too.

Profile  Personal album