It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Wales
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:26 am 
Random avatar

Quote:
The M4 between Port Talbot and Swansea is still completely unspoilt, just endless MA60s, no SON lanterns whatsoever. However, at least 1 in 5 lamps were out at night so a relamp must be around the corner soon!

That was the M25 until a couple of years ago - several seemingly endless stretches of gear-in-shoe MA60s! But very soon the M25 will be mostly Sapphires when all these widening schemes that are currently taking place are completed!

Quote:
Swansea, GEC Z9564s. These are still popular. The road further down is being refurbished and this lighting further up has fallen into disrepair, with over half of the columns being cut and capped.

It's about time something was done with all those cut and capped columns! It was like that when I passed along that road back in 2011 and can't believe it's taken over 2 years to try and sort it out!

Quote:
Leaving Swansea towards the M4 sees more 180w SOX on a different dual carriage way. On the left we have an MA60 with an interesting shoe, and on the right is a Z9564.

That looks like a Thorn Alpha 4's shoe to me! In fact, when I first saw it, I thought it actually was an Alpha 4!  :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:11 pm 
Random avatar

Rojojnr wrote:
It's about time something was done with all those cut and capped columns! It was like that when I passed along that road back in 2011 and can't believe it's taken over 2 years to try and sort it out!

Yes, I even suspect the lighting has been in a poor state for longer. To be honest, a lot of the street lighting in or around West Glamorgan  (Port Talbot/Neath/Swansea) has been/is in a shocking state, to completely spalling 8 metre concrete columns to lanterns that have turned upside down and lost their bowls - Some sort of scheme is being carried out there now though seeing a lot of Urbis Aresas being installed on side streets, which means a lot of the quirky and old lighting which is still in good condition will probably be swept away sooner rather than later :(

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:11 pm 
Random avatar

I kept to my word, and here is part II of South Wales.

REVO Dalek on S&L column. Daleks are quite common in this area of Port Talbot.

Revo Dareks on old traction poles. Very impressive to see these still surviving. They look amazing in the flesh!

Close up of bracket and lantern.

Close up of a different example.

View of the road. It's actually crazy that this time warp exists in 2013! Even the lighting on the M4 is SOX in the form of MA60s!

Two Eleco HW745s survive on the roundabout junction just after the eastbound slip roads! They are on rusty columns but this is the better example.

The second example. An excellent survivor on quite a busy roundabout. However, the column does appear to be heavily corroded and is leaning forwards...

Close up, showing the rusted bracket and lantern, which is in a remarkably clean condition!

REVO Dalek on another traction pole. I suspect there used to be more but now this is the only one in this area and looks a little unusual!

Close up; spectacular installation.

Thorn Civic 2s have been popular in Neath Port Talbot and West Glamorgan for a couple of years now. They are still being fitted too.

Swansea next up. Unfortunately the weather was not its best so I've since had to play with a couple if images to make them clearer, but here are a twin installation of very rare GEC Z9504s. These were originally designed for SOI lamps but somehow, these were retained and converted. There are only four examples of these on this road now, one of them being taped up (as pictured)

A different example. The majority have been replaced by Eleco GR150s years ago, but casuals also exist from Sapphires, GEC Z9554s and MA50s.

Full installation. Look at that bracket!

GEC Z9564s. These are on borrowed time. GR200s also exist.

The columns and/or the brackets are in very poor condition on most examples.

Eleco GR200s, the left hand one's bowl has broken away, leaving just the back, meaning that the lamp is now exposed.

More GEC Z9564s. These are getting rare all over the UK now, but can still be found on dual carriage ways around Swansea. These examples are in quite reasonable condition compared to other examples in the area. Over half of the columns have been cut and capped in the last three years. I suspect replacement is imminent, although road works have not hit here yet.

Eleco GR200s, 180w SOX. These are still in good condition.

Philips MA60s appear for a short stretch of the carriage way. I expect the carriage way was given a face lift when a new Tesco store opened adjacently. Even though they look in good condition, I can tell some aren't lit as I saw a few lamps had smashed and pieces were lying in the bottom of the bowl.

I can not stress enough, if you are thinking of going to see this lighting, go sooner rather than later whilst it's still there!!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:37 am 
Site Administration

Quote:
View of the road. It's actually crazy that this time warp exists in 2013! Even the lighting on the M4 is SOX in the form of MA60s!

Wow what a picture! Those S&L columns are now getting quite rare and what a great unspoilt installation apart from the sole MA90 in the back ground.

Quote:
Full installation. Look at that bracket!

Very impressive and the bracket is at least in good condition unlike some of the others you have pictures of.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:05 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
Very impressive and the bracket is at least in good condition unlike some of the others you have pictures of.

Swansea council appear to still be retaining the brackets at lantern replacement time too, there are new twin Sapphires on an identical bracket at the beginning of the road, just behind the camera.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:09 pm 
Random avatar

Unfortunately I was unsuccessful in saving the Swansea Mazda open SOX lantern, given the run-around at the council and saw it was gone last weekend. Don't know weather it has gone for preservation or scrap.

Mike.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:40 pm 

This unknown relic lies outside of Ystradgynais.
clicketh
Needless to say, it doesn't work!

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:51 pm 
Random avatar

So here are some photos from my recent Welsh escapades.  :D

Briton Ferry

Phosco P157 with deep bowl on 8m unsleeved CU column - These are surprisingly common on the area and can be found dotted about the village where previous replacement schemes have failed to remove them.

Showing a full installation. Damaged clips and/or hinges has caused many lanterns to be taped up, as this one is.

Three in a row here! Rather randomly there was also an Alpha 9 on one of these columns on this road - I've never seen any Alpha 9s in this part of Wales before!

More Phosco P157s, most of these are group switched but a few have two-part cells.

Another three Phosco P157s, with MA90s in the background.

A very rare GEC Z5640 - This is due to be replaced soon!

Another Phosco P157, showing that old lighting will always lead the way! Army of MA90s behind. This example has a damaged bowl.

Urbis Aresa - These are the new order of the day for side roads in West Glamorgan, with Urbis Evolos being the choice for the main roads.

Penarth

WRTL 2601 - Quite a rare lantern but good for casual replacements of older top entry lanterns. I am unsure as to the lamp type here.

WRTL 2015 - These are used as casual replacements.

GEC Z9481 - These are also quite common. This example has a very discoloured bowl!

AC Ford 730 - These are really quite common in Penarth, which is fantastic news in 2014!

These are controlled by two-part cells.

WRTL 2601 and AC Ford 730.

There are also a few new LED installations. I'm not too sure of their identification.

Last edited by Indust on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:54 pm 
Site Administration

Excellent pictures!

P157s are getting rare and the deep bowl ones were always less common. Thanks for recording these before they too are lost forever.

I take it the Penarth AC730s are now SON or are they still mercury? Some wonderful old cast iron columns as well.

The LED lanterns are Urbis Axias.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:12 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
I take it the Penarth AC730s are now SON or are they still mercury? Some wonderful old cast iron columns as well.

The LED lanterns are Urbis Axias.

Thank you - It's hard to keep up to date with these new LED lanterns!

Erm, I'm not too sure about the Penarth AC730s - Not a single one was dayburning! Due to the sheer volume of them in Penarth, I'd guess they were now SON, but it wouldn't surprise me if a few were still MBF.

Profile  Personal album