It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Wales
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:36 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
The LED lanterns are Urbis Axias.

That clears up the previously unknown LED lantern that was recently installed on Thornhill Road near me.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:29 pm 
Random avatar

Indust wrote:
Phosco152 wrote:
I take it the Penarth AC730s are now SON or are they still mercury? Some wonderful old cast iron columns as well.

The LED lanterns are Urbis Axias.

Thank you - It's hard to keep up to date with these new LED lanterns!

Erm, I'm not too sure about the Penarth AC730s - Not a single one was dayburning! Due to the sheer volume of them in Penarth, I'd guess they were now SON, but it wouldn't surprise me if a few were still MBF.

The AC730s are indeed SON :( I've seen them at night and not found an MBF one yet.

Funnily enough I discovered that Z5640 myself in Briton Ferry last week! As you say, a rare survivor. (but not for long)

A most welcome occurrence recently has been one of the 70w SON lanterns on Carmarthen bridge has had a lamp change, to 80w MBF! It must have been changed during January, and was a great surprise. It must be running off the SON gear, though new MBF in 2014, who would have thought it?!  :lol:

Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:55 pm 
Site Administration

The voltage/current ratings between 80W MBF and 70W SON aren't too dissimilar. If the SON gear included an external ignitor, it won't do the ballast resistor for the starting electrode in the MBF lamp much good, but the MBF lamp will still light. If the resistor burns out, the ignitor would still strike the MBF lamp. Win win really!  ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:52 pm 
Random avatar

Finally, a long awaited event is taking place on my street!
The late 1980's concrete CU columns with 70w SON ZX1s are going, to be replaced with stainless columns with LED lanterns.
Whilst obviously the loss of concrete columns is lamentable, I am certainly glad to see the back of the ugly ZX1s and SON lighting. The new order is already being installed a couple of streets away, and I popped over there earlier to get a couple of photos, with the councils own staff doing the work, no PFI here!

I was very impressed by the choice of column and LED lantern, very clean lines and looks great.

Close-up of the lantern itself, any ideas what make and type it is?

Right outside my house, all services marked up and ready to go..

I am away for a few days from tomorrow, so maybe when I'm back the deed will be done and the street will be lit by proper white light for the first time. :)

Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:30 pm 
Site Administration

I believe the columns are actually aluminium..

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:40 am 
Random avatar

gwilisandt wrote:
Close-up of the lantern itself, any ideas what make and type it is?

Looks like the Holophane Factor Small to me. :)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:11 am 

They are quite bright at night... Leeds now has some of these too.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:28 pm 
Random avatar

The LED lanterns were installed on my street a couple of days after I took those photos. The night effect is amazing, much nicer light than the SON. They are not too glary like some LED lanterns can be, and seeing the road and garden lit up like moonlight at night is great. Bring on the LED army I say!
Mike.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:20 pm 

A GSV capture of old replacing new in Abergele, looks like the place was once a haven for vintage SOX.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.27910 ... bAlSyQ!2e0

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:22 pm 
Random avatar

gwilisandt wrote:
The LED lanterns were installed on my street a couple of days after I took those photos. The night effect is amazing, much nicer light than the SON. They are not too glary like some LED lanterns can be, and seeing the road and garden lit up like moonlight at night is great. Bring on the LED army I say!
Mike.

There's an LED replacement scheme happening on a road not too far from me and I actually quite like them, they look rather like SOX lanterns (albeit ones with no bowl). The only thing that concerns me with them is I hear the cool blue light is actually quite bad for local wildlife as it disturbs sleep patterns. All we need to do is start using slightly warm white lights and I might actually start liking LED as a concept. The odd thing is they're clearly not destined for casual replacement in the town as a busted lantern in the car park across the road recently had an Arc fitted (standard for here), and I suspect the busted Phosco across from the house will also be replaced by an Arc soon. Sorry for the thread jack!