It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Surrey PFI
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:45 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
There was an article on the regional TV news about the Surrey PFI. It showed a Libra being fitted to a new column next to an Avenue 2D with a Beta 5 on. Also shown were Arcs running SON with radio nodes. The presenter also had a laptop connected to control a Libra which he dimmed and then switched off - well could of course been done from the control room and he was "staging it".

Attachment:
asurreyrepmar09.jpg
asurreyrepmar09.jpg [ 42.78 KiB | Viewed 62532 times ]

Should be possible from the laptop, but a laptop is a bit of a bulky control item, and you can get handheld radio frequency controllers.

Interesting that when they said about the orange glow of old street lights destined to become a thing of the past they showed footage of some brand new PFI-installed Arcs running SON. Hmm, yeah, the orange glow will be more of a thing of the past, but Surrey won't be 100% white light given that they will be installing 100/150/250w SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:53 am 

sotonsteve wrote:
Phosco152 wrote:
The presenter also had a laptop connected to control a Libra which he dimmed and then switched off - well could of course been done from the control room and he was "staging it".

Should be possible from the laptop, but a laptop is a bit of a bulky control item, and you can get handheld radio frequency controllers.

Hmmm... I was just thinking about that the other day. I'm wondering if Zodion do anything like it for their radio control system, as I'd like to dim my QSM with a remote control!

That picture shows how little goes into modern installations - shove up a pole and plonk the light on, bish bash bosh!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:34 pm 
Site Administration

Well with atrocious weather this morning, I took advantage of being stuck indoors to upload a bumper set of pictures to my Fotopic sight. The Surrey section has pictures of lighting in that area that will all soon disappear under the PFI. Pictures from Farnham include every last surviving GEC Clearmain lantern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:33 am 

Certainly a lot of interesting stuff there! Good luck trying to save at least some of it!

http://wessexstreetlighting.fotopic.net/p64019419.html
Strange... the canopy and neck share design feature with the Abacus Orion (obviously this is way older) - but other than that it seems oddly unique.

http://wessexstreetlighting.fotopic.net/p64020393.html
http://wessexstreetlighting.fotopic.net/p64020380.html
http://wessexstreetlighting.fotopic.net/p64020381.html
http://wessexstreetlighting.fotopic.net/p64020389.html
I'd love to see somebody get these brackets into their collection without any bits breaking off! You'd need a big box van just to transport them...
The stay bars' anchor plates seem to be cemented into the walls.

http://wessexstreetlighting.fotopic.net/p64020387.html
http://wessexstreetlighting.fotopic.net/p64020388.html
http://wessexstreetlighting.fotopic.net/p64020392.html
The column is likely of 1940's vintage... the base is pretty much the same as the Revo Monarch columns around York, which are from the 40's.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:35 am 
Site Administration

The Revo brackets would be worth saving but they are a little large for most collectors. I suspect a disc cutter will make "light"  :roll:  work of removing them from the walls.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:50 pm 
Site Administration

The Surrey PFI started back at the beginning of March so had about a 6 week head start compared to when work actually started on the south coast PFI.

When I last looked round the Onslow Village area of Guildford (basically the area bounded between the A3 and A31) back at the end of April there was no sign of PFI works. Today, 3 months on, there has been significant progress. Far more, over a wider area than has been achieved back in Hampshire, and this is only one area of the Surrey PFI, works have taken place in other parts of Guildford.

The works do appear quite "bitty" though. There are streets with only a couple of new columns and yet in others all are done apart from the odd one or 2. Often several adjacent streets have been completed but then there is a gap with a completed street surrounded by old installations.

The standard residential fit is 5m Mallatite columns in "Surrey Green" with matching WRTL Libras 55W PL-L and switched using the Harvard LeafNut RF control system.

Both columns I pictured were the only new columns in one road and were dayburning, adjacent streets were all off. Later in the day they had turned off though.

This classic pictured back on 21st April is no more, having being replaced with a Mallatite column fitted with an Arc running Cosmo, with RF switching. This was part of a small installation of "main road" columns - I didn't spot any other main road relighting nearby - again a "bitty" approach.

Just down the road was the lantern with the control node or branch node.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:07 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Both columns I pictured were the only new columns in one road and were dayburning, adjacent streets were all off. Later in the day they had turned off though.

The use of radio frequency switching should prevent lighting from switching on when it is daylight hours but the weather a bit miserable. The Lee-on-Solent RF switched Libras in Hampshire were all dayburning the other evening a couple of hours before sunset too. Is it teething troubles with the switching, or were they overridden for some reason or other? They weren't dayburning when they first started fitting the nodes.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:14 pm 
Site Administration

The dayburners in Guildford were odd, I didn't spot any branch nodes around there and all the other leaf nodes were off so I don't know why these 2 were on.

As for Lee on Solent, was it a test or a fault with the master node? They certainly weren't dayburning last Saturday so if it was a fault, it must have happened since then and Tuesday evening when you spotted it.

This is one of the problems with "group switching" when a fault occurs - large numbers of lanterns dayburn. You would have thought the monitoring software for Lee on Solent would have detected that they were on.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:16 pm 

The ballasts work on a failsafe basis - if the rf node is disconnected then the ballast will operate continually if there is power; and so presumably if the communication between the rf node and the control node fails, then the lantern will dayburn.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:58 pm 
Site Administration

In Farnham, an area yet to be reached by the Surrey PFI, a casual replacement of a 10m Corus column in Surrey matt dark green with a grey ZX3 has been installed in the last couple of weeks. Further down the A31 in Guildford where the PFI has reached, a new 8m column (possibly a Stainton) in gloss green and a grey (PFI spec) Arc, has been used as a casual replacement for an accident damaged column.

Profile  Personal album