It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Surrey PFI
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:13 pm 
Site Administration

The Surrey PFI has reached Haslemere... :shock:  :?

In the last 3 weeks, Wey Hill/B2131 has got new Surrey green Mallatite 8m columns and Cosmo Arcs with RF nodes - practically all of which were day burning this afternoon. These replace 1980s columns with remote gear MA90s.

The work has been very swift (compared to the south coast PFI) with all the old columns gone, new columns installed and working and even all the pavements reinstated.

The Daleks haven't been touched, yet.....

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:50 pm 
Site Administration

Phosco152 wrote:
The Daleks haven't been touched, yet.....

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Further exploration, and side road replacements have taken place. All of these are no more...

A total of 8 Daleks and their brackets lost forever.  :cry:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:55 pm 

How many are left of 'Haslemere's Finest' (well what I call them) columns left Phosco? Its a shock to see these quality columns and lanterns go forever, what I still can't believe is that the contractor decimated one exisiting 'harp' bracket to produce a rather destroyed mess. If you could get a photo of it please, then that would be great.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:47 am 
Random avatar

A real shame none of these were saved. When I was a kid I always thought I'd seen a harp bracket with longitudinally-mounted sodium lantern but after a while began to imagine I'd dreamed of such an installation until I first saw these pictured on here! A sad day  :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:50 pm 
Site Administration

I have been sent this link by a fellow enthusiast of a time lapse video showing column replacement as part of the Surrey PFI.

Several things are of note, not least the tree surgery and dragging a bus stop sign up a brand new painted column.

The crew in question found themselves in plenty of hot water when their bosses watched the video.....

- No PPE
- Not enough safety barriers
- And the biggest safety breach, was pulling the service cable out of the old column and feeding it into the new column.

The service cutout was brand new for some reason in the old column, but the contractors are not permitted to touch the service connection - the crews have a dedicated jointer working with them to do the service transfer.

Another point of note is the "one out - one in" approach to remove/install the column - possible when there is a dedicated jointer although this crew should have waited for theirs. This also explains why the work is so swift in the Surrey PFI region.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:32 pm 

I bet they used a Junior Hacksaw to cut the tree branches off! I can't see any chainsaws being used anyway.

they didn't put the barriers back in place, and for some reason tht HIAB left a big bag of sand behind.... bit of a mickey mouse operation if you ask me.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:48 pm 

I'd add a 4th one to the list:

- Use of incorrect type of saw.

With the dragging of a bus stop up the column is asking for trouble as with one deep gouge of paint and the paint job won't last rendering the column for an early replacement. Its happened to one outside my workplace and you can see where bare metal on the column is showing and the column has only been there since early Christmas 2010. It'll be replaced come 2014.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:45 am 
Site Administration

The PFI has moved slightly out of Haslemere and now progressed down the A287 west of the Hindhead traffic lights. In the last 2 weeks this has seen the remaining 3 or 4 Daleks on this stretch of road also replaced with 55W Libras as well as various columns supporting mostly Beta 5s. In all around 15 new columns have been installed, but yesterday afternoon they were all day burning.

Given the very hilly and wooded landscape this road passes through, it will be interesting to see how well the RF switching works in terms of signal strength. There are a few more new columns than they replaced but is very much rural lighting - so only bends or turnings are lit.

In Haslemere itself, the day burning Cosmo Arcs on Wey Hill are now all operating normally. I wonder if it is the contractor policy to day burn new installations for a short period to identify cable/gear/lamp faults before programming the RF switching to operate normally?

The plan today will be to see how many of the Daleks I have found on GSV still actually exist. The remaining ones I photographed 5 weeks ago were still there yesterday, so today's discoveries will be "new" ones.

Simon Cornwell has some history on these installations here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:19 pm 
Site Administration

A wander round Haslemere showed that 10 Daleks visible on GSV are sadly no more - with me missing photographing them before removal probably by days. One of the Daleks was actually being replaced when the GSV car pictured it.

Slightly better news is that I have located another 15 examples and have pictures of those, although I suspect they will be gone by the end of the month.

I also came across this sad scene.

The column is leaning so I’m not sure if that is old age or a collision, the damage looks like vandalism though. This must have happened prior to the PFI which claimed others nearby, as the replacement column is a non PFI type, which has been retrofitted with a Libra.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:54 pm 
Site Administration

2 weeks on, and there has been another cull of over 10 Daleks. They may all be gone by the end of the month. Take a look at these shots taken this evening - soon it will be a sight gone forever.

Switch on:

Close up:

Twins:

Profile  Personal album