It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: South Coast PFI
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:25 pm 

Here's a story that has managed to slip me for several months:

Transformation to 2021 Street Lighting LED Replacement Project

At a meeting on 10th March 2020, recommendations were agreed for a relatively small LED street lighting replacement programme in Hampshire. The proposal is to spend £3.2 million replacing approximately 12,000 SON lanterns with LED, and suggest that principal routes in Hampshire feature approx. 32,500 SON lanterns, so LED upgrades would equate to about 37% of this stock.

Interestingly, whilst the report suggests there are approx. 32,500 high pressure sodium lanterns on principal routes, the facts and figures page on the council website suggests there are only 22,167 high pressure sodium lanterns in the county. The report also suggested expenditure along the lines of 40% this year, 40% next financial year, and 20% in 2022/23, though I've not seen any newer articles to confirm the replacements, nor have I seen any evidence of replacements yet in the county. Also, the preference appears to be "highest power first" as priority for replacement. Replacement of 12,000 would easily kill off the largest size Iridiums with 250W SON lamps. However, I do wonder if they would take the opportunity to replace large Iridiums with 210W CDM Elite lamps and any other lanterns such as decorative lanterns with these higher powered light sources.

The LED replacements are proposed as an alternative to further extending dimming or part night regimes in the county, which are already very intensive, and this LED upgrade is expected to yield nearly double the cost savings in comparison. If more funding opportunities were available in the future, there is indication Hampshire would look to extend LED roll out, potentially as far as the entire lighting stock of the county.

I'd previously mentioned that I thought the South Coast PFI may have run out of Hampshire green CosmoArcs. I have a feeling they have also run out of black CosmoIridiums and CDM Elite Iridiums, as casual replacements in Southampton have appeared to be with Hampshire green SON Iridiums (new, or second hand from replacement schemes?).

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:10 pm 

In Lee-on-Solent, a few residential streets near the seafront have recently had their Libras replaced with what appear to be Luma gen2 LED lanterns. This includes roads such as Monserrat Road and Richmond Road, which were the first roads to have new columns installed as part of the PFI replacements in April 2010, and as these two streets originally had Southampton black Libras followed by Hampshire green Libras, the new LED fittings represent the third generation lanterns on the "new" columns.

This came as a surprise to me, but doing a web search revealed this article:

Quote:
New energy efficient streetlights lighting up Lee-on-the-Solent

Dozens of streetlights in Lee-on-the-Solent will be replaced as part of Hampshire County Council’s drive to reduce energy consumption and improve its carbon footprint

Dec 10 2020

A total of 75 lamps in the town will be replaced with energy efficient LED lights, with the first phase of work starting in the New Year.

Hampshire County Council’s Deputy Leader and Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment, Councillor Rob Humby said: “By replacing our older streetlights with LEDs, we are not only reducing costs but also saving energy which reduces Hampshire’s carbon footprint. By doing this we will be reducing energy consumption of Lee-on-the-Solent’s streetlights by 66 per cent, and not need to replace these lights for at least 25 years. It is important that we continue to find green solutions as we press ahead with our ambition to become carbon neutral by 2050.”

The new LED lights only use 12W – compared to the current lights which use 37W, this marks a 66 per cent energy reduction.

Earlier this year the County Council committed to replacing 12,000 high-powered lamps with more energy efficient LEDs, as part of a £3.2m investment which will also save the Authority £500,000.

The work will take five to ten days to complete. The first roads to benefit from upgraded LED lights will be Richmond Road, Victoria Square, Montserrat Road, Osborne Road, Kings Road, Nottingham Place and the southern section of Swanage Road.

Find out more about street lights in Hampshire: www.hants.gov.uk/transport/roadmaintena ... etlighting
Find out more about Hampshire County Council’s Climate Change Strategy: www.hants.gov.uk/landplanningandenviron ... matechange

This is an interesting development, which comes on top of the previously reported replacement plans for main roads. Also, 12W compared with 37W is quite a saving, though it's worth noting the existing Libras were only 37W when operating at 100% power, which they were never programmed to do, but even so, it's still an energy saving over a dimmed Libra. Perhaps they are testing the waters for a wider rollout at some point?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:16 pm 
Site Administration

The small town of Stockbridge in Hampshire, had a number of parish maintained columns at the west end of the town, which still utilised SOX and SON. The south coast PFI left these untouched.

All of these has now been converted to LED - I have yet to see the new lanterns in the daytime to get a visual ID.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:12 pm 
Site Administration

I have now managed to get some pictures of the LED parish lighting in Stockbridge. They are Venture Lighting VSoldier lanterns.

This example on a new bracket replaced a Beta 5 on an Eleco aluminium column with matching 7 bracket.

A top entry Philips Mi50 was replaced by this VSoldier lantern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:03 pm 

Near my parents' house, a column with an Arc recently got replaced, possibly due to crash damage. On top of the new column sits a Schreder Axia 3 in Hampshire green; the first Axia 3 installation I have seen in Hampshire.

SSE PFIs have been moving towards Schreder Axia 3s, what with Dorset replacing a sizeable number of main road Iridiums with these, and the West Sussex PFI appearing to be opting for these based on the press release.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:48 pm 

In one of the parks in Southampton city centre, the existing heritage LED lanterns have been replaced with new LED lanterns. So, less than 10 years' service.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:45 pm 

I have seen quite a few casual replacements in Hampshire using Axia 3 lanterns, on column heights ranging from 6m to 12m height, and in all the sizes offered. These have replaced existing lanterns of various types and light sources, which suggests potentially they have run out of stocks of all "original PFI spec" lanterns.

I haven't seen any in Southampton yet, but I'm sure that could change.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:55 am 
Random avatar

The dimming regime in Hampshire has changed again, with the main change affecting Residential roads.

Residential roads:
Dusk to Dawn - dimming by 65% (From 45% Dusk to 23:30 & 05:30 - Dawn)

Main roads:
Dusk to 23:30 - dimming by 30% (From 25%)
23:30 to 05:30 - dimming by 50%
05:30 to dawn - dimming by 25% (From 30%)

Cosmopolis:
Dusk to dawn - dimming by 40% (No change)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:11 pm 

I knew it!

Since 1st April, I observed that the lighting outside my house appeared to be dimmer, at the "after 11pm" levels. I mentioned it to phosco152 at the time.

I messaged the PFI website, and they said they were unaware of any changes. However, the updated Hampshire County Council website appears to confirm my observations. It also appears the changes were implemented without any consultation, as I did a search on their website for meeting minutes and such but found nothing.

I wonder what savings the dimming will make. Personally, I reckon they could have made quite some savings just by stretching out the part night lighting switch off so that it is off for an extra half hour to 4.30am or hour to 5am. There are still not a lot of people up between 4am and 5am. As for the previous dimming regime, this did start at 11.30pm, but on many residential streets could have potentially been brought back to 10pm, but seems they've just gone whole hog and are dimming residential streets as much as physically possible for the whole time now. I don't think the Libras can operate below 35% (65% dimming), and it's already been stated that CosmoPolis cannot go below 60% (40% dimming). The only way to potentially save energy now would be to look at removing lighting (controversial, but if they are clever, there are the odd "extra" columns here and there that make no sense, or doing an LED rollout, which they were meant to be looking at for main roads but seemingly abandoned.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:52 pm 
Random avatar

sotonsteve wrote:
In Lee-on-Solent, a few residential streets near the seafront have recently had their Libras replaced with what appear to be Luma gen2 LED lanterns. This includes roads such as Monserrat Road and Richmond Road, which were the first roads to have new columns installed as part of the PFI replacements in April 2010, and as these two streets originally had Southampton black Libras followed by Hampshire green Libras, the new LED fittings represent the third generation lanterns on the "new" columns.

This came as a surprise to me, but doing a web search revealed this article:

Quote:
New energy efficient streetlights lighting up Lee-on-the-Solent

Dozens of streetlights in Lee-on-the-Solent will be replaced as part of Hampshire County Council’s drive to reduce energy consumption and improve its carbon footprint

Dec 10 2020

A total of 75 lamps in the town will be replaced with energy efficient LED lights, with the first phase of work starting in the New Year.

Hampshire County Council’s Deputy Leader and Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment, Councillor Rob Humby said: “By replacing our older streetlights with LEDs, we are not only reducing costs but also saving energy which reduces Hampshire’s carbon footprint. By doing this we will be reducing energy consumption of Lee-on-the-Solent’s streetlights by 66 per cent, and not need to replace these lights for at least 25 years. It is important that we continue to find green solutions as we press ahead with our ambition to become carbon neutral by 2050.”

The new LED lights only use 12W – compared to the current lights which use 37W, this marks a 66 per cent energy reduction.

Earlier this year the County Council committed to replacing 12,000 high-powered lamps with more energy efficient LEDs, as part of a £3.2m investment which will also save the Authority £500,000.

The work will take five to ten days to complete. The first roads to benefit from upgraded LED lights will be Richmond Road, Victoria Square, Montserrat Road, Osborne Road, Kings Road, Nottingham Place and the southern section of Swanage Road.

Find out more about street lights in Hampshire: http://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/roadm ... etlighting
Find out more about Hampshire County Council’s Climate Change Strategy: http://www.hants.gov.uk/landplanningand ... matechange

This is an interesting development, which comes on top of the previously reported replacement plans for main roads. Also, 12W compared with 37W is quite a saving, though it's worth noting the existing Libras were only 37W when operating at 100% power, which they were never programmed to do, but even so, it's still an energy saving over a dimmed Libra. Perhaps they are testing the waters for a wider rollout at some point?

I have spotted another rollout of LED lanterns in that area using the axia 3. For example here has had the entire estates Libras changed for Axia 3s. Also here and here have also been changed including others in the area. I do wonder if this is a trail for a full widespread LED rollout across Hampshire. Regarding the 12W trail in December 2020, they used Luma Gen 2 lanterns here. So I wonder what the reason is, because I'm pretty sure that the Axia rollout is different to the one back in 2020. Hopefully since the new dimming scheme we start to see more LEDs crop up across the county.