It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: South Coast PFI
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:50 pm 

Truvelo wrote:
But that doesn't mean everything will go in the first week will it?

No, but it marks the beginning of the end and the start of a new chapter. Street lighting will be considerably different on the south coast in 5 years time.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:46 pm 
Random avatar

Is the main road Iridium going to be specified to run white lighting or SON for the South Coast PFI?

The main road Iridiums, in the Dorset PFI, are mostly SON however with a very few running Cosmopolis. After being impressed by the white lighting on the A27 so I believe the Dorset PFI should abandon SON and start fitting Cosmopolis on main roads matching the side roads (which currently run Cosmopolis) but perhaps it is too costly to do this hence SON is being used for now.

When I went to get more petrol on one night, I had a drive through locations which are being relit using mini Iridiums. Whoa, I have to say the mini Iridiums are bloody bright!

The mini Iridium is more "glarry" than the previously used SGS252 size which could be down to the smaller optic than its larger sibling also the fact internal rear shields are fitted inside the bowls.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:01 pm 
Site Administration

I'm not sure what the main road light source will be. Although residential areas specified CFL, none of the press blurb has said if its SON or MH for main roads. Guess we will find out shortly, or I may be able to find out via my "reliable source".

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:51 pm 

Warnham still has heritage (possibly DW Windsor's) lanterns mounted post top and these run SON, would these be replaced by CFL or Cosmo lamps i wonder.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:18 pm 

Only one full day before the South Coast PFI begins and I saw a lorry in Southampton with a couple of new columns on it. The lorry was parked on the side of a main road into Southampton, the A335 Stoneham Way, with a "Keep Left" crash mat truck protecting it. This section of road was extensively rebuilt in 1987, so the existing 10m Stainton octagonal steel columns (fitted with ZX3s in 2000) would have no doubt met 1987 design standards. However, it looks like a bit of infill might be happening for some obscure reason, because as far as I could tell they were going to insert a couple of new columns in new positions, really stupid positions I must add. The PFI will be using Mallatite columns, and I believe they will have the Mallatite Abcite plastic coating. The columns I saw today though were Southampton-specification 10m Stainton columns, unpainted but with the column coating that gets applied to columns that will (or shall I say should) be painted. So it seems that the council are squeezing in a very last minute bit of madness.

Meanwhile, just up the road at M27 J5 I wonder what the start of the PFI will mean for the ongoing junction improvement scheme. A proportion of new columns have already been installed as part of the scheme, to Hampshire County Council specification, green painted Stainton columns with ZX3s. The lighting design for the junction was also done to Hampshire County Council specification. What will happen once the PFI gets underway though? Will new lighting at the junction be to the new PFI specification, or will it be to the old Hampshire specification? I suppose it depends on whether the PFI contractor orders the new lighting or if the junction improvement contractors order it. Only phase 1 is in progress, although advance site clearance works are in progress for the other phases. The County Council website does not suggest that a contract has been signed for phase 2 yet, which would probably start in the summer.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:33 pm 
Site Administration

Since the PFI doesn't legally start till 1st April (which is a "holiday") no real work will actually start before April 6th. Even then, design and site surveys will have to be carried out before any new columns are installed. I very much doubt any of this was done before the legal start date. Therefore it could well be a few weeks before anything happens on the ground apart from a perhaps a "press launch". Given that the old depot is still being shut down, I suspect the new one probably isn't at full capacity yet either.

A similar thing happened with the Portsmouth Highways PFI which took a few months to get into full swing.

As for J5, I suspect all materials will have been already purchased for phase 1 given that the budget is likely to have been in the FY about to end, so I doubt the PFI will have any effect.

As for later phases it depends if it was specified in the PFI or not (wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't) and if the contractor doing the works has to comply with exactly the PFI equipment or install "equivalent" equipment.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:38 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Since the PFI doesn't legally start till 1st April (which is a "holiday") no real work will actually start before April 6th.

Thursday is a holiday? I know Friday to Monday are holiday.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:43 pm 
Site Administration

Sorry dates wrong, but even more unlikely why no work will be done before a long weekend even allowing for the other points I made.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:58 am 

Well, no news stories about the South Coast PFI starting yet, but responsibility of street lighting in Southampton, Hampshire and West Sussex should have now transferred from these councils over to Tay Valley Lighting and their contractors Southern Electric Contracting.

New websites have been created:

Lights on in Southampton

Quote:
We are about to embark on one of the biggest street lighting projects in Europe where we will be replacing circa:
13,500 Lighting Columns on a ‘One for One’ and new position basis
11,000 Lanterns
3,000 Illuminated signs, bollards beacons etc

The project starts on the 1st of April, and the construction work will begin in the Peartree Ward.

Lights on in Hampshire

Quote:
We are about to embark on one of the biggest street lighting projects in Europe where we will be replacing circa:
78,000 Lighting Columns on a ‘One for One’ and new position basis
51,000 Lanterns
12,500 Illuminated signs, bollards beacons etc

he project starts on the 1st of April, and the construction work will begin in Popley, Basingstoke and Lee-On-Solent, Gosport.

Lights on in West Sussex

Quote:
52,000 Lighting Columns
2,600 Lanterns
11,500 Illuminated signs, bollards beacons etc

The project starts on the 1st of April, and the construction work will begin in Sompting and East Grinstead.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:06 pm 
Random avatar

Ha! The new websites seem identical to this one!

Perhaps Tay Valley are also responsible for Dorset too or is it just SEC itself?