It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:36 pm 

On the part of the M275 that Portsmouth City Council own, I've noted some issues with the lighting that was installed a couple of years ago. There are a couple of columns missing, despite the crash barriers protecting them being intact and not replacements. There are also a number of columns starting to lean, so I think perhaps a poor job was done at installing the new columns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:32 pm 
Random avatar

The Urbis ZX1s on my street were replaced this morning with LED lanterns! This is not the first time LED has appeared on my road, however - there were three casual replacements last year, two using TRT Aspect Ecos and the other using the same lantern as used this morning. I believe the lanterns may be Thorn Civiteqs, but I'm not quite sure. Here are some pics of the two installations nearest my bedroom window:

Attachment:
DSC04871.JPG
DSC04871.JPG [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 13685 times ]

Attachment:
DSC04872.JPG
DSC04872.JPG [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 13685 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:33 pm 

Looks like something from the TRT Aspect range. The shape and styling is all the same, and distinct from competitors' products.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:09 pm 

Portsmouth have issued a map showing the schedule for LED upgrades. They will be targeting roads on an area by area basis, except for main roads which will all be done at the end.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:42 pm 
Site Administration

Widening works on the A27 at Segensworth Fareham, have in the last week seen the new columns from the Segensworth roundabout east to the Industrial Estate/Abbey Park/Farm Road, fitted with Hampshire Green Lumas. Not all are working as supply cables aren't complete. Many of these new columns originally had SON Iridiums, in some cases, for only a few months.

Further east on Titchfield Hill, even newer columns, have all been fitted with SON Iridiums - for the time being.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:43 pm 

At Chichester Bus Station there were two concrete columns with GEC "Three-Eighty" lanterns. These haven't worked for many years. Passing the area today, the column in the bus station has been retrofitted with a large deep bowled Iridium. Fortunately, the column across the road at the bus garage still has its original lantern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:35 pm 
Random avatar

Speaking of fluorescent lanterns at railway stations, I went past this a couple of weeks ago at Blackhorse Road tube station and it's still there in its original form! I'm not sure for how long though as that entrance of the station is currently up in scaffolding and hoarding and parts of the car park are closed off, which tells me some sort of refurbishment/redevelopment work is going on!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:36 pm 

Kent County Council is currently replacing all of its street lighting with LED. Tonbridge in Kent has undergone the change in the last two years, with Phosco P862s recently installed on the main roads and Phosco P852s installed some time ago in the side streets.

Phosco P852s have replaced the existing SOX and SON lighting in Tonbridge in Kent. This photograph was taken in December 2016.

Thankfully there are a few old stragglers left - notably difficult-to-get-to lanterns, some top-entry lighting on swan-necks, some heritage lighting and some street lighting with metal halide lamps in them, which all emit a white light not far away from the 4000K colour temperature chosen for the LED street lighting. Most people wouldn't notice the difference, and perhaps the street lighting crews didn't either!

Tonbridge High Street has these heritage lanterns which hark back to the days of the carbon arc lights. This photograph and the next eight photographs of the High Street were taken in October 2017.

Most of these heritage lanterns run SON lamps, but there is the occasional metal halide lamp.

A close-up of one of the brackets and carbon arc-style lanterns

Although it is excellent to see these carbon arc-style lanterns, as opposed to the usual (and sadly prosaic) main road heritage lanterns, the columns that hold these lanterns up do look incredibly thin.

Furthermore, a couple of the columns have their lanterns missing.

Having said that, it is a good-looking installation overall, and quite rare for a town centre these days.

Just off the High Street in Castle Street is this rare top-entry Metropolitan Vickers (Metro-Vick) SO 'Fifty' lantern. Sadly it has been replaced with the adjacent column here, but the original column and lantern are still in situ. This photograph was also taken in October 2017.

The main High Street bridge over the River Medway is lit with SON-running Phosco P109s. The River Medway temporarily splits into two in Tonbridge town centre, and the High Street bridge over the smaller of the two rivers is lit with these GEC Z8455 lanterns, which now run SON bulbs. This photograph was taken in September 2017.

A close-up photograph of the two GEC Z8455s taken in October 2017.

Also just off the High Street - in East Street - is this surviving old and deep-bowled top-entry SOX lantern - one of a pair. It looks like it could be a Phosco P122 (although there are no vertical ridges on the bowl ends), or an AEI Amberline Junior. This photograph was taken in October 2017, and I ought to revisit the lantern in daylight to see what it is.

A close-up of the mystery lantern (with the back of the bowl painted black). Photograph taken in October 2017.

The limited time left for this lantern can be foretold by looking further along East Street. Photograph taken in October 2017.

This Thorn Gamma Five lights a pedestrian route between the River Medway and the Sainsburys car park.

A close-up photograph of the day-burning Thorn Gamma Five.

Also on the edge of the Sainsburys car park is this GEC ZD10517. It sadly doesn't light up at night. This photograph was taken in July 2017.

A close-up photograph of the GEC ZD10517 also taken in July 2017.

Talking of lanterns not working, this GEC Z8260 on railway land east of Tonbridge railway station hasn't worked in all the time I've known of its existence. Another GEC Z8260 can be found on railway land to the west of Tonbridge railway station. This photograph was taken in March 2016.

In the railway station car park, this quad-bracket's lanterns has an unusual mix of light sources. This photograph and the next photograph were taken in October 2017.

A close-up photograph of the top of the column.

The station car park also has these five "open" main road lanterns for tungsten or mercury lamps. This photograph and the next two photographs were taken in July 2017.

Sadly I have never seen them lit at night, although the lantern missing its refractor ring at the rear appears to be holding an MBF or SON-E lamp.

A final close-up view of the unusual installation.

Although the conversion of the town of Tonbridge to LED is virtually complete, ther is still a few installations around for the enthusiast to enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:35 pm 
Random avatar

The ZX3s on my nearest main road have been replaced over the last couple of days with TRT Aspects! This has therefore bought an end to discharge lighting in the immediate area around my home! There is another road of ZX3s at the end of my nearest main road, which I'm not sure has been upgraded yet. If it has, this means my nearest remaining discharge lamps are now a couple of MRL6s that sit on a junction of a dual carriageway owned by Transport for London and a local main road owned by the council and so were missed in TfL's LED upgrade scheme back in 2015.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:58 pm 

Brighton and Hove are currently replacing their lanterns with LED, but that doesn't mean there aren't still relics to be found for the time being.

Yesterday I stumbled across a couple of Bleeco Sunstar Enclosed lanterns here and here. I bet if I had driven around the area a little more then I would have found more than two examples. A quick look on Google Street View indicates that there used to be quite a number more in recent years, but there have been many casuals.

Profile  Personal album