It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:49 am 

The last of the residential road replacements in Portsmouth were meant to happen during the first week of March (the last of Zone 1). However, it seems everything came to a stop in February. I'm not sure if they are progressing with main road replacements like they should be, but they aren't updating their website about programme at present.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:45 pm 
Site Administration

Main road replacements have started. This morning they were doing Whale Island Way. Burrfields Rd, entire length has been done in the last few weeks.

Also of significant note, is that the LED retrofits have been fitted in the Anchorage Park residential area - Sywell Crescent and surrounding roads. This area was not touched by the main Portsmouth PFI back in the mid 2000s, despite the installations dating from around the late 1980s. As a result, it was one of the last areas of SOX left in the city. Sywell Crescent itself with its 8m columns, has also been done.

Stubbington Avenue still has its MA90s, given its proximity to Burrfields Rd, I would have thought the former would have been done early on, given the SOX phase out. Burrfields Rd of course, was SON Iridiums.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:39 pm 

Looking from the M27, side road replacements have happened in the last week at Port Solent which were meant to take place in early March. I wonder if Portsdown Road got done too, which is where the Hampshire PFI lantern swapped Portsmouth's columns a few years ago.

UPDATE: as of 16th April, Portsdown Road has not been touched. Given that other roads that were left out in the vicinity were all done last week, I suspect the crews have spotted that something is odd and reported back rather than carrying on with replacements.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 am 

Portsmouth's LED upgrade of 'functional' lanterns is not far off completion. Side road installations were supposedly completed back in March, main road replacements have nearly been completed on the island, and main road replacements are now spreading on the mainland.

Like many replacement schemes that have been seen, some installations do seem to have been missed. There is the odd footpath here and there which haven't had lantern swaps, including some Philips ME35s adjacent Mile End Road, and the odd main road lantern here and there that have been missed. We will have to see if that remains the case once we confirm the upgrade scheme is supposedly complete. Discharge lighting will still remain for heritage or contemporary lighting, so relamping is still going to be something that happens. I suspect attention may turn to upgrading this lighting in the near future, especially as some of the heritage lighting is ageing quite a bit now (eg. Phosco P109s from the 1970s and 1980s mostly running SON-E but a couple running mercury).

The new Philips LumiStreet lanterns are very streamlined and relatively small. Those on main roads are considerably thinner in profile than Lumas, and quite pleasing on the eye if you ignore the spigots which look oversized compared with the lanterns. And just for the record, on Mile End Road, where Urbis ZX4s were bolted to flange plates on top of columns, new aluminium brackets and side entry LumiStreets have been fitted, almost like what Highways England did on the M27, but without a flange and spacer arrangement.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:24 pm 

Housing Associations have become more prevalent with having their own street lighting in recent years on new build developments, and taking over street lighting from councils on older developments.

On the new North Stoneham development in Eastleigh, estate roads are being lit with black Mini Lumas and Micro Lumas on black 6m columns as per current Hampshire specifications. However, looking in a car parking area for some social housing, I spotted some black 4m columns, and to my surprise they were fitted with stub brackets and black-canopied Philips SGS203s. Yes, you heard right, SGS203s. Where on earth did they dig these out from? I'm sure these were discontinued a couple of years ago. The side entry, 4m column, black canopy, deep bowl looks very odd.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:19 pm 
Site Administration

In Portsmouth work is in progress on Allaway Avenue, Paulsgrove with new LED lanterns on one side of the road and Iridums still in place on the other side,  at the eastern end. Just over a decade ago, it was still 90W SOX and Eleco HW509s.  :cry:

The western end retains its pre PFI, SON MRL6s.

With the ZX4s going in Mile End Road in favour of LEDs as well, the Urbis ZX4 is almost extinct in Hampshire, they went from the Hampshire motorway network several years ago, and the only ones left in service are privately owned at the Leisure World carpark in Basingstoke.

However even these don't seem safe,  the column on the far right background of this image has lost its ZX4 to be replaced with twin Lumas on brackets like that used on the M27 at J12.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:02 pm 

Back at the weekend, I noted that a handful of MA50s on Port Way had been replaced, but most were still in place. I suspect these have all been wiped out by now. The LED replacements seem all but complete. There are quite a few missed installations around though, and the question is whether they will be finishing off these loose ends in the near future, or if they might hang on a while longer and get picked off in drips and drabs.

Portsmouth City Council's web page about LED street lighting has been updated. Quote:

Quote:
As part of our commitment to sustainability, we are replacing around 15,000 street lights in Portsmouth with new energy-efficient LED lighting technology.

The improvements to more sustainable street lighting will:

- reduce energy use by around 40%
- save about £400,000 of public money every year
- improve visibility with a whiter light
- reduce the amount of maintenance work that disrupts residents
- lead to safer streets and reduced crime
- be able to be adjusted remotely

We'll also be looking at how we could make the special heritage or ornate street lights more sustainable. This type of lighting is found in Old Portsmouth and parts of Southsea.

The work take place over 2 years:

Phase 1 - LED technology was put into most street lights along residential streets. A successful trial took place on three streets in Portsmouth in 2018.

Phase 2 - LED technology was put into street lights along most main roads.

Phase 3 - We will start adjusting the lighting levels across the city between 10pm and 6am. There will be a full consultation with ward councillors, the police, and the city safety team. A trial will begin in five areas across the city.

Phase 4 - We will make recommendations about improving the sustainability of street lighting in the city. This will include any special heritage or ornate street lights.

This suggests the council think the functional LED replacements are complete (Phases 1 and 2), despite what I said about stuff being missed out. To hear that dimming is going to be implemented is a fairly new thing, although something previously suggested as a future option. And the newest thing is hearing that they are going to investigate what to do to the decorative lighting stock, which doesn't come as a surprise.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:56 pm 

In Southampton, some Falks Beauforts at Bassett Tower have been relamped from CFL to LED, so these old lanterns have been given a new lease of life with a new light source.

Meanwhile, in The Parkway/Glenwood Avenue nearby, not only is a GEC ZD815 still surviving and burning mercury, but one of the two Atlas/Thorn Gamma 5s is also lighting up for the first time in about 12 years, now with an LED corn lamp in place of the previous domestic CFL lamp. The other Gamma 5 isn't working, but I have never seen this one working.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:05 am 
Site Administration

Good to see those old survivors with a new lease of life. With LED lamps available in so many forms and getting cheaper and cheaper, no real excuse to scrap old lanterns anymore. ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:46 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
Housing Associations have become more prevalent with having their own street lighting in recent years on new build developments, and taking over street lighting from councils on older developments.

On the new North Stoneham development in Eastleigh, estate roads are being lit with black Mini Lumas and Micro Lumas on black 6m columns as per current Hampshire specifications. However, looking in a car parking area for some social housing, I spotted some black 4m columns, and to my surprise they were fitted with stub brackets and black-canopied Philips SGS203s. Yes, you heard right, SGS203s. Where on earth did they dig these out from? I'm sure these were discontinued a couple of years ago. The side entry, 4m column, black canopy, deep bowl looks very odd.

For the record, these SGS203s run 50W SON:

Profile  Personal album