It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:50 pm 
Site Administration

As part of the ongoing works in the region by Highways England to convert their lighting stock from SON to LED, in the last week, the A34/A303 interchange in north Hampshire is in the process of having its slip road lighting converted from Urbis ZX3s to what I presume are Lumas (tricky to tell in the dark). As works are in progress, the interchange is a mix of SON and LED lighting at present.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:24 pm 
Site Administration

Phosco152 wrote:
As part of the ongoing works in the region by Highways England to convert their lighting stock from SON to LED, in the last week, the A34/A303 interchange in north Hampshire is in the process of having its slip road lighting converted from Urbis ZX3s to what I presume are Lumas (tricky to tell in the dark). As works are in progress, the interchange is a mix of SON and LED lighting at present.

Having now seen the junction in daylight, the LED lanterns - Lumas are actually on new aluminium hockey stick style columns rather than retrofits to the original steel hex section hockey sticks. ZX3s remain on the old columns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:55 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
The SGS204s on the adjacent old A12 seem to be safe from replacement, as this road is now owned by Redbridge Council rather than TfL (despite the SGS204s being installed as part of the construction of the new dual bypass in the late 1990s). The foreground column has been casually replaced with a TRT Aspect, Redbridge's most recent lantern, which proves it!

How wrong I was! Noticed a couple of weeks ago when I was in Wanstead that most of the SGS204s have had new brackets and TRT Aspect lanterns fitted, which confirms that Redbridge Council owns this road.

I can also report that the A127 through Havering is now entirely LED lit with the OrangeTek AriaLEDs. All installations up to the M25 bridge have been retrofitted. However, it's not all over for SOX on the A127, as after the M25 ownership of the road switches to Essex County Council. Therefore, there are still some MA50s and this fantastic long stretch of Z9554s and MAs still standing!

On the A12 between Gallows Corner and the M25 it's the same story. However, there is still a short stretch of MAs (as well as Arc retrofits and Iridium and MRL6 casual replacements) just before the M25 junction which have not yet been retrofitted (although they probably will be very soon). That means after the M25 this stretch of ZX3s still stands, as does this bizarre arrangement of Arcs, ZX3s and ZX4s. This was the result of junction re-alignment in 2008, where only the modified road had its ZX3s and Arcs replaced with the ZX4s. The ZXs date to the 1990s and the Arcs date back to 2004, when the previously unlit road was lit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:21 pm 

Rojojnr wrote:
That means after the M25 this stretch of ZX3s still stands, as does this bizarre arrangement of Arcs, ZX3s and ZX4s. This was the result of junction re-alignment in 2008, where only the modified road had its ZX3s and Arcs replaced with the ZX4s. The ZXs date to the 1990s and the Arcs date back to 2004, when the previously unlit road was lit.

The ZX3s were installed in 2000, I believe, at the time when the first Junction 28 improvement scheme took place (which removed the freeflow); with the ZX4s dating back to the second improvement scheme (which reinstated the freeflow!).

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:01 pm 
Random avatar

Noticed today that Ardleigh Green Road has lost its ZX3s and Squirrels Heath Road opposite its Airtraces (which were only about 2 years old - what a waste!) to LED lanterns. So we have LED lanterns on sleeved concrete columns which does look a little peculiar!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:53 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
This SOXy section has been looking all higgledy-piggledy for years, but now it is even more so as lanterns at random have been replaced with LED lanterns. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind which ones have been swapped but they aren't P860s as you might expect; the lanterns are a lot shorter and I was unable to identify them.

Sorry it's several months since you posted this, Alex, but GSV has updated its images of the A406 and I can confirm the LED lanterns on this stretch are Phosco P851s, the smaller, shorter sister of the P850.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:18 pm 

Volker Highways have been announced as the contractor who will carry out LED lighting schemes in Reading, Wokingham and Slough. The replacements will start in April next year and take two years to complete.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:31 am 
Founder
Random avatar

Rojojnr wrote:
Sorry it's several months since you posted this, Alex, but GSV has updated its images of the A406 and I can confirm the LED lanterns on this stretch are Phosco P851s, the smaller, shorter sister of the P850.

I notice that they've blindly (no doubt in a haste) retrofitted all the SOX lanterns with P851s without taking into account the state of the column! Take this example, where the bracket isn't even facing the right way!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:45 pm 
Random avatar

I've just found this video from TfL on Youtube about a bridge they are replacing on the A127 just beyond Gallows Corner. This has meant the removal of some 3-year-old WRTL Lumas! I'm not sure whether the columns will be reinstalled when the bridge works are complete, but if they aren't, it would be rather wasteful, as the columns are only about 6 years old (the Lumas aren't the original lanterns either - Iridiums were originally installed, which replaced MA60s in early 2009). I reckon the lanterns will definitely not be coming back though, as the rest of the road has had all its lighting (including the rest of the Lumas which were on this stretch) overhauled with Orangetek AriaLEDs.

Further down, on the A12 just past Romford, some of the Orangetek AriaLEDs here have been re-fitted to new columns as the pathway next to the carriageway is being resurfaced and widened and this has involved unearthing the columns.

Meanwhile, Havering Council have been installing more LED lanterns. A couple of MAs and an Iridium on Oldchurch Rise, an access road leading into Queens Hospital and a few of the MAs on Collier Row Lane have been retrofitted. I've also been driving past these a lot recently. These held MAs and SGS203s until recently, but towards the end of last year these LED lanterns (which are the staple lanterns on Havering's side streets) have been fitted. They do look peculiar on the end of these brackets (I thought at first the lanterns had been completely removed and the whole road had been left in darkness), but they are such tiny lanterns that you can hardly see them from a distance!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:46 pm 
Random avatar

I can report from driving over the A127 bridge last weekend that new columns have been installed on the bridge with no lanterns installed yet. The new lanterns will likely be Orangetek AriaLEDs as used on the rest of the road.

Meanwhile, Havering's LED scheme continues with avengeance, with MAs, SGS203s, recent Evolo casual replacements and Arcs being retrofitted.