It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:14 pm 
Random avatar

Saw from passing through on the bus today that these ZX3s are in the process of being retrofitted with the usual fancy pants brackets and TRT Aspect lanterns. Further down on Cranbrook Road, even Redbridge's previous favourite lantern, the Furyo, isn't escaping replacement! The brackets being used for the TRT Aspects are the same as those that the Furyos are sitting on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:24 pm 
Formerly Paspie

It was difficult for me to identify a set of new lanterns (on maybe new columns) that have been installed on the access road that passes through the Riverside Estate, London Colney (probably privately-run), but they looked like Tamlite Tamcourts from the bypass heading eastbound.

The SOX on the M25 slips at J21, J23 and J24 are slowly getting eroded, as is the old lighting around where I live. The previously mentioned M1 and A1/A1(M) SOX survives in Hertfordshire, as does the bricks on the Thorpe Interchange slips.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:42 am 
Random avatar

The TRT Aspects are starting to grab a firm hold on the main roads in Redbridge, with about three roads of ZX3s, one road of ZX2s and even some Furyos installed no more than 6 years ago biting the dust over the last month or so. They are also taking to the side roads - over the last couple of months a quite wide, busy side road near my house has had all its ZX1s retrofitted, as have a few streets a bit further away in Seven Kings. It probably won't be long now until my road is overhauled, although LED mass replacement seems to have come to a stop on the side roads and is taking to the main roads now instead.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:26 pm 
Site Administration

Back in 2010 (was it really that long ago),  the HA as it was, replaced lighting on the A27/A259 interchange at Chichester with green painted aluminium columns.

Whilst the columns on the A27 approaching the roundabout are in reasonable condition, those on the roundabout itself are not. Many have been replaced with similar aluminium columns, but in plain finish. Last weekend I noticed that all of the original green painted columns left - 4 of them - have all been cut off at around 1.5m from ground level.

Structural issue or something else wrong with them? Even so, less than 6 years life is hardly an endorsement of modern equipment.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:58 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Whilst the columns on the A27 approaching the roundabout are in reasonable condition, those on the roundabout itself are not. Many have been replaced with similar aluminium columns, but in plain finish. Last weekend I noticed that all of the original green painted columns left - 4 of them - have all been cut off at around 1.5m from ground level.

Structural issue or something else wrong with them? Even so, less than 6 years life is hardly an endorsement of modern equipment.

The lights on that roundabout always seem to be out which is really dangerous considering how busy it gets.

There does seem to be something structurally wrong with those columns based on this strange invention.

Also could this be the last, new 55W SOX lantern installed in Portsmouth? Seemingly installed sometime between May 2015 and May 2016.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:07 pm 

I know when I visited the Colas depot many years ago that they kept back a selection of removed lanterns in good condition for reuse as casuals. It was stuff like MRL6s, MI26s, MA90s, Vectra Gaza Strips, etc. This could potentially be a reused lantern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:34 pm 
Formerly Paspie

Amperas continue to erode Hertfordshire's non-LED lighting stock, as the upgrade programme continues. In my home town it has meant the loss of most 135W SOX in the form of Z9554Ms and MA50/MA60s on distributor roads, and some old 35W SOX (Eleco GR525s, Beta 5s, XGS103s) and newer SON lanterns as well. On taller columns the brackets are shortened before the new lanterns are fitted, though in some cases the column is replaced. On hockey sticks the top-end is chopped off so the Ampera can be mounted post-top. The concrete columns, most with top-entry brackets, are being sleeved so that the Amperas can be mounted post-top. There is nothing particularly rare or special being lost, though I will miss the MA30s on Lower Kings Road in Berkhamsted.

Some lighting on the A-roads, particularly the fixtures serving underpasses and columns with 'saucers' have survived. Perhaps they have been left to be given special attention at a later date, as has also been done with the heritage lighting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:00 am 

The A27 has lost some SOX this year. In Worthing, a column replacement scheme is almost complete that will wipe out the MA60s west of the A24, which were fitted to Stanton and Staveley concretes and height-extended S&L columns. The new columns are aluminium hockeysticks with Lumas. Meanwhile, further west at Chichester, a significant number of the MA60s near the Oving crossroads have been lost due to a new access road being built to serve a development off the westbound carriageway.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:37 am 

The Lumas on the A27 slip roads in Portsmouth are some of the oldest in Hampshire, and were installed in 2012. The other day, I noticed that the optical compartments are getting blackened and dirty, especially at the "road" end. It is perhaps the heating and cooling effect drawing in dust and dirt from the atmosphere. So they are not quite install and forget.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:51 pm 
Random avatar

A road near where my sister lives in Hatfield called Briars Lane has an eclectic mix of Alpha 3s and MAs on S&Ls. Rather oddly, the MAs are casual replacements of Alpha 3s. So we have SON being casually replaced by SOX! Check out this example:

The 2008 view clearly shows an Alpha 3, but switch to the 2012 view and it morphs into an MA!