It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:10 pm 

There are news stories floating around that say Brighton and Hove is to embark on a district-wide LED/CMS upgrade. There is still a good amount of SOX in Brighton and Hove, so this will result in quite a loss.

East Sussex still has SOX, although numbers have dwindled thanks to main road replacements and residential LED upgrades in a few of the main towns. Of course, Kent to the east is going LED, and West Sussex to the west has had a PFI.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:51 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I cannot remember if anyone has posted about this but the A30 around Heathrow has recently lost its catenary lighting to standard TfL Phosco LED P850s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:41 pm 

Has all catenary from Hammersmith to Heathrow now gone?

Portsmouth is currently quite unusual in terms of street lighting (who would have thought I would say that a decade ago?). Their lighting stock is predominantly SON, also with a reasonable amount of SOX, and very little LED. They don't do part night lighting, they don't do dimming, and only a handful of locations have CMS. Hence, they are unusual in being high wattage with no energy saving measures in place.

All this could change though, as this document suggests. Portsmouth are looking into a large scale LED/CMS rollout in the city to reduce energy bills, following the trend of other authorities and PFIs of the same era. It looks like this kind of thing was first proposed in 2013 for residential roads, but this was put on hold. The new proposals would appear to be for all types of road, so an elimination of SON and SOX.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:48 pm 
Site Administration

The A316 in Richmond SW London still has small pockets of MA60s left following the conversion by TfL to P850s more than a year ago.

These examples on the left are still there, with the GSV image dating from Aug 2016.  The columns seem to get a coat of black paint and some brackets are trimmed, but there are plenty of columns that have been missed along this stretch.

Hampton Court Bridge still retains around 8 GEC Clearmains on the southern side of the bridge on its bespoke columns.

The GSV imagery is again from August 2016 and shows Iridiums on the north side of the bridge. These have since been removed and fitted with "Albany" style lanterns but within the same ornate frame as the Clearmains. It looks as if all of the Clearmains have been moved to one end of the bridge and the Albanies to the other. I suspect the Clearmains have been refurbished, but some were damaged, however it is good to see the lanterns being grouped together by type.

In Isleworth, a 1 mile stretch of classic 1960s 25ft S&L columns. They now sport Iridiums but under the drab olive green paint, grey bases and blue tubes show through on some columns. So it's likely they may have once sported MA90s like these, which in turn would have replaced much older lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:43 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

sotonsteve wrote:
Has all catenary from Hammersmith to Heathrow now gone?

I can only speak for this stretch:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:03 pm 

I've just found this PDF from Portsmouth City Council about their current street lighting strategy. As noted previously, all the existing 'functional' lighting is due to be replaced with LED.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 am 
Site Administration

Tottenham Court Rd in central London, has several vintage cast iron columns with carbon arc style fittings. These may well be original, although a couple with broken globes show they are now fitted with SON lamps.

Elsewhere in Camden another cast iron column. Research shows the column to be at least 80 years old.

Another 1930s installation, one of several, this time privately maintained, and made by Revo.

Finally, not strictly streetlighting, but a vintage art deco installation. Close up detail.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:14 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Thanks Phosco152 for that unique selection. I have seen the ones on TCR on a number of occasions - I am pleased they have been preserved, even if they are no longer the main source of lighting for that stretch.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:13 pm 

More info on the Portsmouth LED street lighting upgrade.

Apparently trial installations have just been installed in Washington Road, Garfield Road and Centaur Street. I found a picture online which appeared to show a Philips UniStreet. I'm not sure if these have been installed in all three trial roads or not.

The main phase of replacements will run from early 2018 to summer 2019.

UPDATE: the lanterns on Garfield Road and Centaur Street are black Philips LumiStreet Minis:

Attachment:
P1010166.JPG
P1010166.JPG [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 13174 times ]

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 pm 

In 2009 a street lighting PFI commenced in Surrey. Broadly speaking, main roads have Arcs running SON and side roads have 55W Libras. Initially more CosmoPolis was meant to be used on main roads, but this very quickly fell out of favour to save on costs.

A dimming regime was originally set up which saw lights on main roads dimmed by 25% and lights on side roads dimmed by 50% between 11pm and 5.30am. In order to make savings, in October 2015 the council extended the dimming period such that it started at 10pm. Despite the new equipment, the initial dimming and extended dimming, this was not deemed to be enough, and in October 2016 the council approved part night lighting in side roads. This was initially from midnight to 5am, but recently has been amended to 1am to 5am.

Surrey did consider LED lighting, but found that payback periods would be in excess of 10 years so decided against it. I'm not surprised. It's one thing if all your street lighting is SON and CosmoPolis, but when the bulk is compact fluorescent and you already have a central management system, the scope for saving with LED is significantly less.

Profile  Personal album