It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:44 pm 
Site Administration

sotonsteve wrote:
...Portsmouth city centre will still have a reasonable amount of main road SOX going into the next decade.

I hardly think that less than 100 columns 8m or above fitted with SOX in the entire city can be termed a "reasonable amount."   ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:23 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
sotonsteve wrote:
...Portsmouth city centre will still have a reasonable amount of main road SOX going into the next decade.

I hardly think that less than 100 columns 8m or above fitted with SOX in the entire city can be termed a "reasonable amount."   ;)

I'm talking about the city centre, not the entire city. Having said that, there is still a fair amount of SOX if you look in the right places, even MA50s from the mid-1980s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:47 pm 

New columns are starting to go in on the Havant Bypass. Where there was previously verge located lighting the new lighting is in the verges, and where there was previously central reservation located lighting the new lighting will be in the central reservation. No columns have been bolted to the central reservation yet, but new stepped aluminium columns have been installed on the verges. Column spacings are much closer than the old spacings. However, whilst the new columns do not yet have brackets, those on the A27 itself seem to be 10m in height, and those on the Broadmarsh slip roads 8m in height. It will be interesting to see what brackets get fitted, because I cannot imagine brackets for these aluminium columns being 2m in height. I may be proven wrong.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:56 pm 
Site Administration

Both the new M27 J4 lighting and that at the A33/M4 J11 improvements have columns which are fitted with "extension" brackets which increase the height of the column by 1.5-2m.

Sotonsteve remember the new brackets we saw at SEC for a 10m PJ/Stainton hex hockeystick and how big it looked on the ground?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:58 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Both the new M27 J4 lighting and that at the A33/M4 J11 improvements have columns which are fitted with "extension" brackets which increase the height of the column by 1.5-2m.

Those are not aluminium columns though, and the brackets used on the aluminium columns on the Guildford Bypass don't increase the column height by 2m, if I remember correctly, and they merely outreach the lantern at the height of the main column.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:10 pm 

Outside the rebuilt Tesco at Havant, some columns have been upgraded with new lanterns, with post-top TrafficVisions replaced with white post-top ZX3s. Yes, white ZX3s in Hampshire. Some new columns have been installed too, also with post-top white ZX3s. I saw one or two side entry white ZX3s too.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:14 pm 
Site Administration

Well Stoneham Way has them too. Are they HA or Southampton City owned?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:01 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Well Stoneham Way has them too. Are they HA or Southampton City owned?

The white ones are in Southampton City, the black ones are in Hampshire County. The ZX3s along Stoneham Way were all installed in 2000, so are coming up to 10 years old.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:41 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
However, whilst the new columns do not yet have brackets, those on the A27 itself seem to be 10m in height, and those on the Broadmarsh slip roads 8m in height. It will be interesting to see what brackets get fitted, because I cannot imagine brackets for these aluminium columns being 2m in height. I may be proven wrong.

The 10m columns have been fitted with brackets and oddly Urbis ZX3's, the shorter columns still have nothing in place.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:21 pm 
Site Administration

Those are a temporary installation. Between the Broadmarsh slip roads, west to where the A3(M) crosses over the A27 are about 5 or 6 verge mounted columns on either side. These are 15m second hand hex hockey stick columns. These are the ones Lampman mentioned. They have new brackets but 2nd hand ZX3s and the spacing is probably 2 or 3 times further apart than normal. The supply cable runs above ground. These were working last night.

All verge SOX lighting on the Havant bypass east from where those columns end, to the Iridiums on the central reservation at the east end of the bypass has now been switched off, although a couple of lamps were flashing red.

Travelling west, there are new verge mounted columns from where the Iridiums end, along the carriageway and all the way up the Broadmarsh slips. These are the columns sotonsteve mentions. In daylight they appear less than 8m tall, especially the slip road ones, so they must be having an extension bracket fitted. The eastbound column works are less advanced. None of the aluminium columns have lanterns fitted.

Profile  Personal album