It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:23 pm 
Random avatar

Stelmer wrote:
I'd love the HW509 in my collection..... :roll:

I'm sure a lot of people would!

Is there something something wrong with the forum? Stelmer's ost appears on page 1 and the older stuff on page 2 but when I post this message, it appears on page 3!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm 
Site Administration

I'm afraid its just you!  :D Old stuff page 1, Stelmer's post page 2 and yours on page 3...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:54 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
I'm afraid its just you!  :D Old stuff page 1, Stelmer's post page 2 and yours on page 3...

Oh, it's OK now. Probably this piece of rubbish I am browsing on.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:35 am 
Random avatar

So [continued from SW thread]

The M4's lighting was pretty average, mainly ZX2s/3s, and loads of canopies had been blown off! New Sapphires on Stainton [?] columns were being installed next to the outside lane. There was also 1 random slip road that has geared MA50s, though it seemed the brackets couldn't cope! On some roads above, I saw Alpha 2000s that have also had their canopies blown off. There were also Trafficvisions with SGS 203 casual replacements.

The M25 was interesting, mainly ZXs, SGS 204s, MA60s [whch looked brilliant because they weren't all switched on at the same time], M25 geared turtles which I think look quite smart. I saw those Z9565s that phosco152 photographed too!

The M1 had really poring lighting, mainly Sapphires in central reservation on Stainton columns with Sapphires on the outside with rather fuggly brackets. As we went into Bedfordshire, there was a dual carriageway of not-very-well looked after Bricks [180w type], a lot of the brackets had turned, one lantern had turned on the bracket that had turned  which wouldn't be too good if it was lit up at night [only some were lit up when we went past... Dusk had only just started], some had bowls that were hanging on by about 3 clips [rather than 6] and that were hanging off at the end. Some had no bowls.

Luton itself had pretty average main road lighting. Some ElecoGR100s on 2 tone coloured columns which were nice, with a two-parter at the front of the lantern, some were MA50s on double short S&L brackets that looked rather odd. When we were waiting to leave, a number of uncelled Eleco GR150s, celled Arcs and these MA50s all turned on at once whioch was quite exciting, I think group switching is very interesting when not on motorways. There were also a numbeer of Alpha 9s [MKIII] but most had lost their bowls. I only saw on side road lantern, it was [I think] a GR501 on 5m column with 'stub' concrete bracket. Arcs and Iridiums tended to be the new lanterns installed.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:33 am 

The A27 Havant Bypass has its concrete barrier all in place, but the new lighting still hasn't been installed. On the section passing under the A3(M) junction at Broadmarsh, clusters of four bolts were visible on the concrete barrier, suggesting that this section will remain lit from the middle. However, either I did not notice the bolts on the crash barrier, or the section further east and previously lit from the verges will remain lit from the verges.

The M275 still has lots of lamp failures on the Highways Agency maintained section, and the M27 has a few failures at its eastern junction of the M275, including a large string of columns that haven't been lit since the last columns on the A27 were disconnected back in late 2007. Meanwhile, at the A3(M) junction a lot of the MA60s belonging to the Highways Agency are failing. Lots of MA60s flickering neon red, and quite a few that aren't working at all. When it comes to most basic street lighting maintenance, the Highways Agency has forgotten that Portsmouth exists.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:08 pm 
Site Administration

Given that section of the A27 is getting barrier and lighting works in phases over several years, what is the betting that those MA60s at the A3(M) junction are also on borrowed time?

Since traffic management will be required for even verge mounted lighting, the maintenance regime will probably allow for say 20% failures considering that traffic management costs more than the relamping.

The string of ZX4s out to the east of the M27 is probably due to it being fed from the east (rather than the M27 to the west) and of course the lighting to the east is decommissioned.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:55 pm 
Site Administration

Reading in Berkshire has a tradition of using large curved brackets for main road lighting. This still shot from 1963 shows them fitted with an unknown make of mercury lantern. It is not clear what columns those are, but they may be Stewarts and Lloyd columns. Later, SOX lanterns were fitted like this example on a S&L column which still retains the finial. Other lanterns used have been SGS203, GEC 9554 and Urbis ZX3 but not top entry!

Bang up to date, this ALC Nedal column is the latest version of this column style, fitted with a not so modern SGS203.

Meanwhile south of Reading, junction improvement works on the M4 J11 and south of the junction on the A33, have seen tapered tubular steel columns installed but with an unusual bracket design.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:53 am 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
Meanwhile south of Reading, junction improvement works on the M4 J11 and south of the junction on the A33, have seen tapered tubular steel columns installed but with an unusual bracket design.

That bracket seems to start lower down the column than usual. Perhaps the column is a 10m one and the bracket extends it to 12m. It looks like it could be made by CU.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:25 pm 
Site Administration

The height is a "nominal 12m", the bracket I estimate to be about 1.5m tall so the column may as you say be around 10m before the bracket.

The new lighting on the M27 at J4 has a similar extension to the top of the column but in that case there is no outreach bracket - the Sapphires are post top mounted on the extension which is more like 2m in height.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:58 am 

The replacements in Portsmouth city centre appear to have stalled. The new batch of Iridiums installed inbound on Mile End Road are not yet connected up, although the old columns in the central reservation inbound have been disconnected. The top part of Commercial Road past Sainsburys is still using its old columns, and the new columns have not yet been connected up. Meanwhile, no additional columns have been placed anywhere else, so Portsmouth city centre will still have a reasonable amount of main road SOX going into the next decade.

Profile  Personal album