All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:38 am 

Arrowhead sounds like Holophane V-Max.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:54 pm 

^agreed

They trialled a few of these lanterns in Harrogate but they ended up choosing the AriaLED. V-MAX looks nicer though.

This is the lantern right you are seeing right?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:52 am 
Random avatar

The progression of the Sheffield PFI has just about reached where I live meaning I can easily get out and snap some decent pictures. Since all the new installs are pretty much the same, I'm hoping to get some pictures of the internals of the outgoing equipment. Only one picture for now as I just caught a glimpse of this while passing, expect more to come shortly.

Here is something I've never had a chance to see before - the insides of a group-switch control column. It consists of incoming and outgoing fuse carriers, a TOFCO cutout with separate fuses for the lantern and photocell (the lantern is fed from the switched side of the contactor rather than from the photocell attached to it, interestingly) and an override keyswitch that energises the contactor.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:55 pm 

Benjamin4792 wrote:
This is the lantern right you are seeing right?

Aye that's the one, but with one LED 'arrow' rather than a row of them. I do wonder if North Yorkshire County Council are now using these VMax's in place of Iridums.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:48 am 

The small Holophane V-MAX (or 'Wall-E') is NYCC's default lantern choice now.
The village of Bickerton has them fitted now, I spotted them when going through the village from a double decker bus (which was a tight squeeze).

----

Beta 5 wrote:
mazeteam wrote:
I went past there a couple of nights ago, and one is SON but the other MBF... basically all the older lanterns in that general area take ES cap lamps, so whatever the guys have on the van at the time gets fitted be it SON or MBFU!

The Eleco Way lanterns in New Earswick are very much on borrowed time now. One has gone in the last 3 weeks, replaced by a Terra LED... and it has been confirmed to me that the rest of them "do need to come down now".

The new lantern of choice for main road lighting is the Holophane V-MAX 48-LED lantern, black.

was it this one running SON:
/www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bedern+Hall/@53.961622,-1.077866,3a,42y,195.84h,87.89t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s8MXXQi9tkyY7vn5edgSQwg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x487931a59637b411:0x27c818e27efb434f

this is the one in the picture that was running MBF in april 2014

Well since Google made the new streetview system mandatory for all users, all links to streetview simply do not show the required images, just a black screen with irrelevant photos below. The column with the globe on the corner got whacked and so was cut down a couple of years ago but not replaced, the AC Ford is MBF and the Z5590 SON as I recall.

----

The York crews are now going round fitting TerraLED's up in the places the ERYDC subcontractors couldn't be bothered to do. The current focus has been Area 7 and so South Bank and Clementhorpe are now complete (don't know whether any more will be done in Middlethorpe and Tadcaster Road area)... and on Tuesday it meant the surviving Eleco Way in a street behind Bishopthorpe Road was removed, on a day I didn't go out due to repairing my bike as part of a circle of annoyance whereby I'd fix one fault and then a new one would arise. There could be further work in New earswick, as some Gamma 6 post tops didn't get replaced, and such work could also see the Eleco Way post tops removed from service some 5 years after their numbers were up.

Last week saw an unusual development in Heworth, an area where the bulk of Group A columns are Stewart and Lloyd types - brackets on these columnd which were deemed to be badly corroded were removed and brand new stub brackets were fitted in their place, but bizarrely the old lanterns were then re-fitted onto the new brackets! Except for one, the top entry Eleco on Harcourt Street... having escaped column replacements, this lantern was downgraded from 'orange' to 'yellow' status on my list, the new staus being that it may possibly be replaced sometime sooner rather than later but that no known replacement is due and so the lantern should be checked at least once a week - my check came after it had been replaced, and as this was a week ago since I enquired about it, it's probably now long gone.

New columns are up around Acomb to replace unsound ones, with one or two old ones having already been done (removals again being done by ERYDC rather than York). As well as a few with 57w PL-T Thorn Jets fitted, one which I knew would be replaced is this one in the centre of the Chapelfields estate. One of originally 6 columns that had the treatment, this got an 80w PL-L fluorescent lantern fitted in the shape of a Thorn Celest - along with 3 others, whilst the remaining 3 got Philips Residiums fitted. Originally believed to be a trial to see if 80w PL-L could replace 90w SOX due to the fact two different lantern types were being used, it turned out this was simply a one-off to increase the quality of light around the hub of York's most dodgy council estate... as can be seen in one photo, a column with a Residium has a CCTV camera fitted, which will be interesting in a year or two when that column gets replaced. The photos are slightly out of date, as there are excavations at the bottom of the column, the top has a 48 LED V-MAX fitted (three-tier arrowhead), and the service has been transferred across.

The columns with 57w Thorn Jets seem to be going at a rate of just 1 column per day!

In random spots around the city, odd concrete columns have been cut at the base and capped. These will have failed safety testing, and it is presumed replacements will eventually be installed. Currently the Stanton 7 with York's last GEC Z5560 (Blackthorn Drive) has survived.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:40 pm 

Sad news from Leeds - the P222 on the A6120/A660 roundabout has completely gone with nothing in it's place.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:02 am 
Random avatar

A few shots of the progression of the Sheffield PFI.

A nice old Thorn 55w SOX ballast for an Eleco GR550 lantern.

I just cannot comprehend this. It was rectified a few days after this photo was taken.

I'm a lover of cable ties myself but is taking structural integrity to a new level.

And another!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:58 am 

That is just bizarre... I'll have to tell Mark when I see him on the van about that use of cable ties, he'd laugh his head off at that!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:10 pm 

@Urbis Saturn Land

Yes it seems that NYCC are now using V-MAX instead of Iridiums. A lot of AC Ford and GEC mercuries in the Whitby area are now under ownership of NYCC (Hambleton DC previously) and are being replaced with V-MAXes, it is a shame to see them going but I am glad that they are starting to use the V-MAX instead of the horrible AriaLED

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:48 pm 

I've been watching out for that top entry eleco on Harcourt every time I've been in York. Sad times. I love the top entry silhouette. We will never see anything like that again.

Also I much prefer the AriaLed to the v-max. Cleaner design! Though N Yorks seem to love it at the moment.

Profile  Personal album