It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:48 am 

Ours round here have now been up for a year. There's still the SOX pocket on Austhorpe Road, which has even been relamped this year! The remote geared MA60 still remains besides the Sainsbury's roundabout too.

I've not been round Leeds for a long time so I don't know the PFI's full extent. However, I think that SOX is endangered now in Leeds, with the only remnants existing in my bedroom and forgotten alleyways.

I wonder how this article from 2006 fairs now:
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 1430029.jp

I still don't know what wattages are used in the new Iridiums. It'd be interesting to find out as recently finished roads such as Dewsbury Road Beeston appear to have more new columns than old columns. Something that has happened elsewhere in Leeds and other cities.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:18 pm 

Stelmer wrote:
There's still the SOX pocket on Austhorpe Road, which has even been relamped this year! The remote geared MA60 still remains besides the Sainsbury's roundabout too ... I think that SOX is endangered now in Leeds, with the only remnants existing in my bedroom and forgotten alleyways.

It sounds like the SOX in the 'forgotten alleyways' might actually be borough/city-owned street lights, as opposed to County Council-owned lights, and therefore will escape the PFI :-)

In Colchester, I was astonished to hear from my contact that SOX was still being installed in the town, despite this year's decision by Essex County Council to install SON instead of SOX from now on. As well as Essex County Council owning street lights in Colchester (i.e. in the places that it is legally obliged to light) it turns out that the Borough Council also own lights that fill in areas that the County Council is not legally obliged to light, for example council-owned car parks, residential car parks on housing estates, Borough-owned social housing and public footpaths and cycle lanes. And they can carry on installing what they like - in Colchester's case it makes sense to continue installing SOX if the majority of the surrounding street lighting is still SOX.

Unfortunately for me, not all the Borough-owned street lighting is identifiable by the column numbers so where this stuff is is often a mystery to me. I wonder if column numbers in the forgotten SOX areas in Leeds is different to the column numbers of the PFI'd streets. It's worth a look!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:28 am 

Shame there isn't a way to determine between those light by looking at the sticker... up here, in New Earswick there are/were a lot of columns with the number stickers being black-on-yellow (as opposed to the normal black-on-white) - and the yellow stickers were on installations owned by the Joseph Rowntree trust (not owned by the council... probably explains why the Elecos marched on for so long). AMEY still maintained them though. If down your way the lanterns had a difference in stickers like that, then it'd be easier!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:22 pm 

Calderdale use black on white stickers to number up their columns although there are a few which are actually painted on the column on my street the numbers are painted on the coulmn except for one which is wall mounted and that has a sticker glued to the wall rather than the gear control box. Kirklees is the same.

I think the East Riding of Yorkshire Council uses black on yellow on main routes but white on yellow for minor routes, I think Derbyshire CC is the same, black on yellow.

Doncaster rivet small plastic 'number plates' to their columns as apposed to stickers. Ormesby (just inside the historic county boundary of North Yorkshire as apposed to Teeside) uses stickers but that was 2 years ago since I last went.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:10 am 

Remember a while ago I linked to some new fluorescents in Barnsley on concrete columns?

Well, here's a video of them working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSkJ65nnf7k

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:39 am 

And a firework thrown in for good measure!
You could probably use that on the mercury trail in York... so long as my voice is edited out! :lol:

Hopefully the weather forecast will be wrong - because the forecast is rain all week. I DON'T WANT RAIN! I didn't check anywhere for the crews today, as there was no point. Tomorrow I have the induction appointment for the 'course' that will take up all the useful hours of each weekday, and that goes on to 1 - hopefully the crews will be out and about, so I can have something to balance out the morning.

Anyway, here's some pics of two remaining Elecos in New Earswick:
671 670 669

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:50 am 

Don't talk..... ;)  :lol:

I wouldn't video without telling you anyhow. Hopefully i'll be ok to come up on Friday. Both your lanterns are safely in the van. The P111 is in a box that my replacement came in (a new P111 box) and the GR525 is wrapped in a coat.

PS, it has no lamp in it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:08 am 

If I did a voiceover it wouldn't sound like me at all as I'd voice it in an authoritative way i.e. in BBC English.

Anyway Dunford Bridge has a couple of PL-L lanterns one on wooden pole mounted while the other is on a sleeved concrete column. Near to the interchange PL-L lanterns (not sure which) is also employed on concretes, so this must be popular in Barnsley then.

In Leeds and I had only noticed this on Saturday that on Eastgate that one column fitted with Urbis Saturns run MH as opposed to glary, blinding, headache giving SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:34 am 

Stelmer wrote:
I wouldn't video without telling you anyhow.

It'd be good to get the Wheldrake run on video - as well as the Holgate terraces and Lendal Bridge. So long as I'm still free on Friday, then there won't be a time limit because Mum leaves for a concert at about 10.30am and is staying overnight in Sheffield. I may even set up my test column!

Quote:
Hopefully I'll be ok to come up on Friday. Both your lanterns are safely in the van. The P111 is in a box that my replacement came in (a new P111 box) and the GR525 is wrapped in a coat.

PS, it has no lamp in it.

I eagerly await my lanterns!

On Friday, I may make up an octagonal based P106 so we can compare that to the P111. Was a suitable cell found for it by the way?

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
Anyway Dunford Bridge has a couple of PL-L lanterns one is wooden pole mounted while the other is on a sleeved concrete column.

Those must have replaced Beta 79's then.

Quote:
Near to the interchange PL-L lanterns (not sure which) is also employed on concretes, so this must be popular in Barnsley then.

Is this still Dunford Bridge, or Barnsley? because the word 'interchange' doesn't really fit in with Dunford Bridge - considering that all DB has is a bus stop in a car park! unless you count a rail station that was demolished and the route torn up about 40 years ago as part of the 'interchange'!

Quote:
In Leeds and I had only noticed this on Saturday that on Eastgate that one column fitted with Urbis Saturns run MH as opposed to glary, blinding, headache giving SON.

About time that the centre got more CMH lamps fitted. The Selux lanterns on the Loop have a top/bottom split: the top 250-400w lanterns run SON, whilst the bottom lanterns illuminating the pathways run 70w CDO-TT.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:04 am 

The 'Interchange' bit I meant was in Barnsley itself and not in DB.

Profile  Personal album