It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:34 pm 

meppso wrote:
SilverRay88 wrote:
I need to try and get a good photo of the fluorescent converted MA60s on the Beverley bypass before they are v-maxxed along with everything else.

HiSilverRay88, Fluorescent converted Ma60s? They sound very interesting, have you managed to get any pics? I would love to see those

Regards,

Andrew.

Im working on it! Streetlights are quite tricky things to take photos of in action, especially to try and make out the detail of the two pl- t tubes.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:28 pm 

Good evening everybody,

Finally some images of the P-LL converted SRS201's. Its taken a fair few weeks of waiting to get the right lighting conditions, but I was determined to capture these before they are lost. I tried my best but I'm afraid I'm no photographer and these images came from a smartphone.

From what I can tell the East Riding first piloted the conversions sometime in 2008-2009, The first examples I saw were  on Beverley Road in Hull . This road area had  seen all but 6 of the 180w SOW MA60's replaced by Holophane QSM's. These remaining 6 were adapted to run 2 x PL-L.  These have now been replaced by Urbis Sapphires.

I assume these were trials ahead of the big white light drive in 2012, when 99% percent of all SRS and MA SOX lanterns were replaced by Thorn Celests. Randomly around the East Riding certain MA50's were also converted to run single PL-L tubes, probably also trials.

Beverley itself seems to have had a white light approach for the last 15 years, with CFL and CDM and being a very early adopter of the Stela. The A1035, which acts a Northern bypass for Beverley, had it its MA60's and SRS201's converted sometime in 2010.  Interestingly they are group switched, the road being split into 3-4 groups.

Reducing the shutter time allows us to see the two tubes more clearly.

No surprise in how they perform. Light distribution is even and without the glare of SON or LED.

A very grainy photo of a wet morning in November.

Whilst these will likely be replaced in the next couple of months by post-top VMAX's, I'm pleased these classic lanterns were given another lease of life in converted form.

Heres the GSV link   https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.85654 ... 312!8i6656

SilverRay88,

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:40 pm 

Wow, what a sight. Shame they are being lost.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:18 pm 
Random avatar

Anybody chasing these up? Would be worth saving a few?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:38 am 

Wow they do look great. I'd like to think someody is chasing after these... sadly I can't as I'm in full time work and so I'll struggle with York-based stuff which starts to come down in January let alone anywhere else.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:25 pm 

Same here as I restart work in early March and as such I won't have the funds to pop over to the East Riding before then.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:53 pm 
Random avatar

3rd time trying to post this without success.

Stepney Road. Light replacement.

One of 3 pics originally planned to be uploaded.

Attachments:
P1290691.JPG
P1290691.JPG [ 266.37 KiB | Viewed 16146 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:49 am 

Yes the whole stretch by the hospital has new columns with Orangetek LED lanterns. Unsurprising as its one of the longest remaining stretches of SOX left in Scarborough.

Interesting as it seems clear now that V-maxs have been used as casual replacements whereas brand new installations are always Orangetek.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:12 pm 
Random avatar

When we travelled through Hull last October (for the fair), I saw that the SOX lanterns had been converted to CFL/PLL. I thought this council had decided to convert rather than replace with LED, so it's a shame that they have now been replaced.  I do like the V-Max lantern.  Is there a big energy saving between CFL and LED?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:36 pm 

Now on Windows 7 since Vista died on me.

Easingwold retains some vintage stock including the Phosco P179. Sadly a few of the columns have since had Iridiums and two unknown LED lanterns (the latter two are up by the 'Helmsley turning' Mazeteam will know where I mean) installed since the last time I visited the town in early 2015.

The villages between Easingwold and Hemlsey still retain most of the AC848's that are in use, other than a few new columns everything else looked the same since passing through in 2014.

Profile  Personal album