It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:45 am 
Site Administration

Indeed, the cost of a "new" column is primarily driven by the service transfer fees rather than the cost of the column and lantern.

I know of at least 5 manufacturers of sleeves so there shouldn't be a problem finding alternative supplies - although there will be a delay in having sufficient manufactured. Assuming that is the route taken.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:09 pm 

I wonder if this still suvives?

Near to the Brackenhall Asda I found this and this the first still retains its ladder bars the second is what lantern is this as I have never seen anything like it before.

Also what lantern is this ? As it is fitted to the building itself.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:39 pm 
Site Administration

The sleeved Stanton 7 has an Eleco GR 550/551 on it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:27 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Indeed, the cost of a "new" column is primarily driven by the service transfer fees rather than the cost of the column and lantern.

I know of at least 5 manufacturers of sleeves so there shouldn't be a problem finding alternative supplies - although there will be a delay in having sufficient manufactured. Assuming that is the route taken.

What manufacturers are they? If you have names and numbers, then I can pass the info on.

USL: the Z5590 on Millfield Lane went a couple of weeks ago, but SV hasn't been updated. There was also a Prefect a bit further up which I didn't know about. and as for your second SV link, that concrete swan neck bracket with ladderbars is the same as some in Rawcliffe.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 6,,1,-5.32

There were no replacements in the city centre. If the crew were here then they'll have been up in the villages like Dunnington, Askham Richard, and possibly Haxby.
I now know of two more small pockets of mercury lanterns that may be removed.... more on that in just over an hour.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:16 am 

I think GSV won't be updated in Yorkshire for at least a year or so just yet. I'm still at the moment looking for some more hidden gems in Calderdale and Kirklees. There is a house down the road which still has two Prefects to the walls of the house. Sadly they no longer work.

I am now scouting out for hidden lanes, tracks or at least a road-cum-bridalway in Calderdale or Kirklees in hope that I can find some long lost items of intrest.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:54 am 

I keep waiting to see the google car again. It'd be funny if the google car went past me as I was sorting out loading my bike! When it does go back round again, York will look quite different in terms of lighting stock. The Thorn Jet has become the primary side road lantern - and by time the bulk mercury replacement has finished, there will be over 2,000 Jets in service (more Jets than mercury lanterns, because some WRTL 2000's and 2600's have been replaced for Jets too, for uniformity of lighting.... It only seems to have been the crew from wakefield that have done this - the 'home crews' just skipped over the WRTL's and now we have a random orange light in a sea of white)

Right, well I found more mercury today.

First up is stuff that will probably stay - this is on land owned by a private housing association. On other sites like this in York, the mercury lanterns are either Thorn Gamma 5's, Gamma 8's, or Falks Beaufort's. Here at this site in Rawcliffe, it's more standard fayre - a rather old Mercury China Hat Gamma 6. There is also a P106 which has lost its bowl - but streetview only offers very poor pictures of this site anyway
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 12,,2,1.53
The lamp is rather dim in this lantern.

Then, nearby on another patch of housing just off Shipton Road is this:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... .2,,0,5.37
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 24,,0,7.51

And now for todays finds:
within spitting distance of the Minster, these two Globes run MBF lamps - here in Battle Garth
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 81,,1,3.15

There is also an AC Ford lantern around the next couple of corners, but Streetview doesn't show this - it magically transports you through the Save The Children shop!

this is also MBF, and there is a pathway behind the church with another Z5590 running MBF (it has a number 4 too! I think it's counted as column 4, Spen Lane)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 92,,1,1.57

This was replaced some time ago, with an Opalo kept on the same bracket and mounted onto the inline cell
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ,,1,-12.61
The globe on the next 'court' along isn't on streetview, but this has only just recently been replaced - as a Jet now stands there. The globe had previously been dayburning.

This Z5590 is still in place, and is running an MBF lamp
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 1,,0,10.76

I don't know what is happening to these Cubes - as the yard is technically private. The cube in the foreground has been dayburning since as long as I can remember, and has a very dim mercury lamp fitted
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 2,,0,11.72

And that is the end of the tour of todays finds!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:27 am 

This one must be a novelty as its actually fitted to a pipe. Similar to that one in Dent which is fitted to the guttering.  :D

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:46 am 

I'll have to have a look at that in person - it does seem rather odd!
I believe it'll be SON-E and not mercury though.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:27 pm 

No replacements today... although I did spot the HIAB with some new columns on the back, so I think the crew were planting rather than pulling today.

Anywhooo, here's that exploded Gamma 6

707 708

Next up is this old forgotten lantern that has been forgotten no more. The Jet went up a few months ago

This is still to be replaced

Whilst this is a relic - sadly it runs SON.
712 713

__

and now for something slightly different. Whilst checking for replacements, I happened to turn off to look at the Hungate development in the city centre. On the boardings there is a public collection/exhibition of old photos of York. Some were boring but others were interesting to me....

This building can still be seen in Fossgate - but the lantern is long gone. whatever it is.

The next few are from a picture of Parliement street, possibly 1950's - a few interesting bits and bobs

722 720 719 718

These ones are of Micklegate Bar

724 723

And saving the best for last, take a look at this
York's busiest shopping street - but what is it lit by? click the thumbnail below for more, and my large caption for both images

Kinda looks familiar to something....

I am SO HAPPY at finding this old picture... because I now know what was original to the brackets, and that what I have (in that last image above) is the last of the legacy

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:51 pm 

Interesting....especially as I now know what used to light Micklegate Bar. I wondered what lanterns the ZX3's murdered...

Murton is interesting too. Watch this space..... ;)

Profile  Personal album