It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:30 am 

That geared Gamma 6 looks ancient.

The normal run-round York today drew another blank. I did see the HX04 van today, but it didn't have the normal crew inside, which is odd considering it isn't a York van. I believe it was on day scout duties. I don't know if I'm going to bother checking on tomorrow or Friday, I have other things to do and my bike is now in need of attention. The stupid road humps on Yearsley Grove have finally done the inevitable to my back wheel, and bent the metal rim to the point of splitting the metal... and the pressure of the air in the inner tube is bulging the rim out at this point to about 12mm, which is causing problems with braking and general vibrations while riding. The road humps in question are built with block paving and have kerb stones on the edges - and whilst this one is a good example, it is only the 2nd worst in the section of street from my road exit onto Yearsley/Whenby Grove. This exampled one has clear evidence that it has done damage to a vehicle, and since then the area of damage had had tarmac applied to it. The worst example seems to rise above the level of the pavement, and there is a slight dip in the centre of the hump too - but riding over the normal parts of the hump brings you down to earth with a such a bump that my back wheel grates against the mudguard.
this is the worst hump on that stretch - if you look closely you can see (1) it is higher than the pavement (2) there is marks on the roadway where car undersides have gauged out road on the descent. I keep meaning to get a measuring tape out there to see how high it is, because if it's over the legal limit then people will be able to claim compensation for the damage it has caused.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 38,,2,6.47

But tomorrow I will need to check the spare wheel I have in the garage. I think it is a bit warped, but may straighten out. It has more gears on it though, and so to make it work I will need to change the gear shifter and the gear cable - and if I don't have a suitable gear shifter then the bike cannot be used. This is my backup bike too, as the main bike is also out of service.

Yesterday and today I got a few pics of top entry lanterns - today's are just the two in Shambles, and yesterday's were a good few in Rawcliffe, including Z5590's with immaculate clear bowls and Beta 4's (at least 6). The glass bowled lanterns are Z5580's, and so probably won't have refractors fitted. Pics will appear at some point.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:00 am 

My gamble of not checking York on Thursday was OK, as nothing happened. The crew who normally do the replacements have instead been on replacing cells this week, changing 70lux nema cells to 55lux ones. They reckon they may still be on it next week.
I haven't been able to check Wheldrake this week, due to factors such as time, bike condition, and unusual weather (I'm not cycling for a nearly 2 hour round trip in snow!)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:16 am 

I doubt any replacements will go ahead because of this snow. Saying that, the council might but probably in the city centre where the main routes will have been treated.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:08 am 

What I said almost a year ago wrote:
We still have the ZX's at my end of the M62 although there are some old GEC lanterns with the side reflector around junction 25. These are original to the motorway opening.

These have since been replaced by Sapphires on the M62 and there are some new columns around junction 25 with Arc's fitted replacing the GEC's. Leading from the M62 to Brighouse centre the ZX3's remain in action as far as Sherwood Road where the lighting is provided by a selection of Eleco GR150's / GR200's and Phillips MA50's.

This GR150 has started to show signs of premature failure as the lamp has started to burn red where the electrodes are, the column and bracket are still sound. One of the Alpha 3's is out so either the lamps failed or the power supply has been transfered temporarily to the festive lights in the town.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:09 am 

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
I doubt any replacements will go ahead because of this snow. Saying that, the council might but probably in the city centre where the main routes will have been treated.

I was wondering about the replacements myself... and yet the crew were out on friday changing cells over (at a sign light further down my street - which is untreated). They have to go up in the bucket in the same way as when replacing lanterns, so it just depends on what duty the guys are put on next week.

It'd be nice if they were out next week, on the treated road anyway - because one road has some mercury lanterns to be replaced, Lendal Bridge, and I kinda think that road will be pretty well treated!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:14 pm 

Today in Howden there were blizzards and I couldn't see much apart from some ZX3's at Longs Corner and some Arc's near to the junction for Station Road. There is down the side of the Minster is an unknown mercury lantern.

The WRTL 'Fruitbowl' looked like from a distance a 'Soupbowl' because of the ice reflecting off the bowl. It started to snow when I was in Swinefleet souring round looking for more hidden gems and I kid you not but someone was actually using a bucket van to place festive lights on their house.

In Goole the ABP's Stanton 7B columns are still in one piece and the Alpha 3's in Old Goole still work - they do infact run mercury.

If I am out and about I am sticking to treated roads so I won't slip when I am searching for more lanterns apart from my own street which is unable to be treated because of the narrowness of the street.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:29 am 

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
I kid you not but someone was actually using a bucket van to place festive lights on their house.

I am not suprised by that... To be honest, in this weather that seems like the safe way to do it, rather than risk a ladder. The only other way is to buy/hire a skywinder.

Quote:
In Goole the ABP's Stanton 7B columns are still in one piece

They look wierd though, being top entry and yet having floodlights atatched and pointing downwards!

Quote:
the Alpha 3's in Old Goole still work - they do infact run mercury.

Hmm, didn't know about those. Then again, the last time I was there I came in to goole going past Morrisons, and back out via ABP and the many many sets of Wig Wag lights and bridges and what not.

Quote:
If I am out and about I am sticking to treated roads so I won't slip when I am searching for more lanterns apart from my own street which is unable to be treated because of the narrowness of the street.

Well if I go out tomorrow to check if any replacements are going ahead (I won't envy the crews if they are having to work outside), then I'll be altering my route according to road condition. Cycling on fresh snow is not too bad if it's below 3" thick, any more and it's like cycling on the dry sand you get at the top of a beach - you'll sink and stop dead. Cycling on compacted snow varies on what has compacted the snow - if it's car and truck tyres then you may be OK if you go fairly slowly in low gear and stick to the grooves making no sudden moves - if it's bike wheels compacting the snow then try to stay away from that, as you will be very unstable. I needed a couple of new power tools on saturday and so had to brave the snow to get to Osbaldwick - I didn't go onto the cycle paths that run parallel to the roads but are shared pavements, simply because I tried it for a very brief stint and didn't like it one bit. The rest of the route wasn't too bad, except that it took double the time each way. It was worth the trip though, because I used one of my tools today (a circular saw called the Evolution Fury) and it worked a treat - just cut through the wood like a knife through butter. Considering I needed to make a piece of wood 34mm x 44mm into an L shape profile for my window casement I'm making, it did a very neat job.

If there are any lantern replacements this week, I will need to line my box with plastic - because otherwise the box will go soggy and break!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:04 am 

Well, I went out for my checks and drew a blank again. The crew were out though, because I spotted them returning to depot at about 3.40pm turning onto Layerthorpe from Mill Lane (Heworth). From the area they came from, I am gathering they are either on cell duties in Dodsworth Avenue, or Huntington, or a bit more unlikely is that some sleeves have been obtained and some top entry columns were sleeved.

I may check Wheldrake tomorrow if I have time - might get some good pics of snow resting on the open lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:06 am 

Those Eleco Welwyns / GEC 'Open Refractor's' lanterns will look rather nice in this weather also it’ll be their last season in which the photo will be a souvenir snap.

The arched columns in Huddersfield heading up to Ainley Top are still there and in good condition, unfortunately there is no snow on them as they are still day burning. The other day a top entry Beta 5 was flickering like mad, you could just here a faint whine from the ballast and capacitor as it was trying to ignite, yesterday the same lantern (located on Thomas Street in Rastrick) was shining brightly once again. A Phillips MA60 135w SOX on Bradford Road was out, that too is getting a new lamp after I reported it in my detailed way.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:21 pm 

The Leeds PFI works have been spotted in residential streets off the A64 Crossgreen, East End Park and Lincoln Park areas.

I am now a Leeds engineer so I can report on this in more detail next week.

Profile  Personal album