It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:59 pm 

I wish NYCC didn't use the AriaLED lantern. It's cheap and nasty. They're sporadically placing AriaLED lanterns around Ripon for no reason. There is a small stretch of road on the A61 where they randomly decided to replace 4 MA50s with AriaLEDs, it looks really weird as they're only on one side of the road (the other side still SOX), and they're randomly placed in the middle of the road.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:19 am 

Another phase of replacements for TerraLED's has just finished in York this week, with work once again carried out by Bouygues using crews normally based at Middlesbrough.

The only night work this time around was to upgrade Gillygate to LED - anybody who has visited York will know why the work on this street had to be done at night along with a partial closure. Most of the lights there have been upgraded to 3-tier 107w V-Maxes except one GEC Z8600 with only half a bowl left (this one is on a wall bracket next to 'Wackers' fish & chips restaurant). Other than this all the rest of the works have been on side streets.

The very first road to be relit for this phase was my street, which was quite pleasing. The former 70w SON WRTL 2600s are now a thing of the past and the road is lit by clean white 25w LED which automatically dims to 60% after true midnight - the synchronisation took from Monday of installation until Thursday night to activate.

Some here may complain about the lanterns being replaced by TerraLEDs, but I personally am very happy to see the back of SON here. Had the lanterns been running CFL, Cosmo or CDM capsule lamps then I might have not felt the same, but because they were SON I am glad to see them go.

This is the same for any lanterns with E27/E40 lampholders, because whilst they may occasionally have a CDO lamp fitted (some from new) all it takes is for there to be no suitable lamps on the van when it comes to clean-and-change or a one-off lamp change as a repair and then in goes a SON lamp and the lighting for the road is immediately downgraded.

The replacements were focused primarily over my end of the city in Huntington and New Earswick, with the focus being to swap SON for LED. The target was 900 lanterns to swap, and the vast majority of those which will have now gone to Marwood have been 2600s closely followed by QSM and QSS.

Some other areas got swaps too, such as the Bishophill area (between Skeldergate and Nunnery Lane) whereby sadly some 24w PL-L 2600s were replaced on a rainy day when I had no energy to get on my bike in my lunch break at work to check on them.

Also there have been some replacements in Osbaldwick (and the last 2 35W SOX Gamma 6s with China Hat canopy in Badger Hill have gone now too) and in The Groves, apparently there were 30 to do in Strensall but there has been no sign of activity at all there.

Despite there being SOX lanterns around in these areas, in a number of cases those lanterns weren't on the inventory and so haven't been replaced - which puts us in the odd situation of having sizeable areas whereby side road SON is more or less extinct yet the SOX remains (even post top and side entry lanterns, not just the ones locked onto top entry concretes).

Another example of an oddity in the replacements is that or Morritt Close: the road was extended with a few new dwellings in 2010, and as a trial the new columns for that section of road (columns 9 and 10) had Urbis ZXU1s fitted running 60w Cosmo - which turned out to then be the only side road Cosmo in the whole city - but when the street was swapped to LED the inventory only stated for columns 1-9 to be done and so the last column tucked away round the corner still retains its Cosmo ZXU1.

In a way I'd like to think there will be another phase to focus on 90W SOX and 100W SON, these being the 8m columns. During the previous LED replacement scheme 90W SOX had been getting replaced by 3-tier V-MAXes, however because these consume 107W of power the energy savings were only being made through gear losses of the SOX.

So replacements of 90W were cancelled in favour of focusing on SON; so we have the odd situation of roads previously lit by 135W SOX or 150W SON now being lit by V-MAXes, 35/55W SOX and 70W SON having been replaced by 25W TerraLEDs, but the intermediate roads retaining their SOX or SON lanterns.

Over at Water Lane where Green lane meets it, the lighting there is being upgraded due to junction improvement works (the former grain stores there are being developed into a massive area of housing) and the previous mixture of 150W ZX2s and 70W 2600s are being replaced by 2-tier V-MAXes...

But because Holophane haven't yet updated their website with the power consumption of the new 2nd generation re-rated V-MAXes I don't know the power of these 2-tier ones; 3-tier ones used to be about 160W but are now 107W. So going along this vein I would expect the 2-tier ones now to be around the 60W mark... the long and short being that if these 2-tier V-MAXes are decided to light the area well enough, it may be decided that 90W SOX and 100W SON can be replaced with these.

The weekend before the bulk replacement scheme started, Hobgate in Acomb had its DW Windsor York lanterns replaced for an LED heritage type lantern which looks like it may be a Candella design - however only 15 were ordered and so 3 of the DWWs remain on the 'stub' section of Hobgate on the other side of Moorgate. The DWW lanterns went up to Middlesbrough and are being stored there with the intention of possible redeployment somewhere up that way.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:50 pm 

East Riding news.

Inevitably, the fluorescent converted MA's started to be replaced by VMax's this week.

Some are still in situ. If anyone wants to try and save one I suggest getting in touch with the council immediately.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:39 pm 

As I drove through on Saturday I noticed that sadly the mercury stock in Escrick is mostly gone. Its the end of an era but it certainly survived longer can we could have hoped for.

Orangetek LEDs move in.

I wonder how far away we are from mercury extinction point in North Yorkshire?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:44 pm 

SilverRay88 wrote:
I wonder how far away we are from mercury extinction point in North Yorkshire?

When I was up in Danby on Easter weekend, there's about a handful of mercury lanterns left - these being the AC 848's. Elsewhere in North Yorkshire, I do believe that Sproxton still retains its mercury stock - when I went past in mid May it had.

Updates on any changes in the eastern parts of North Yorkshire from me will be sporadic as I'll be working non stop 'til about November so any updates will be few and far between.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:40 pm 

The LED programme has progressed into Scarborough town centre where a number of GEC Turtles and Thorn Alpha 3s have hung on. MA30s were used as casual replacements in decades gone by.

All will be replaced by the new standard installation of post top Orangetek Arialeds.

The view from the castle is losing its variety of colour.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:39 pm 
Random avatar

Streetlights have been replaced in East Ayton. These are around Chantry Road.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:38 am 

There's a new wave of column replacements about to occur in York, with a number of ESLA cast iron columns due to come out - most have swan necks converted to side entry for TerraLED's, but some are still top entry and are on my watchlist. Items of interest otherwise will mainly be brackets as the bulk of the columns coming out have either 2600's, TerraLED's or V-Max's fitted, there's a couple of Z9536's whch will come out and maybe the odd Jet here and there. The job of pulling the old columns has been subcontracted out.

East Riding is still doing the odd job here and there though the bulk of the programme has now finished - some columns in Snaith (after the junction with Selby Road if heading toward Pollington) with 26w Jets have replacements alongside. There was success in saving old Humberside stock including flourescent MA's, flourescent Delta's, SOX 2600's, and the ME35 'SOX Boxes'.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:09 pm 
Random avatar

I appreciate the original posts were many years ago but I wonder if someone can help, I have acquired an ornate cast iron lamp bracket/holder from my late father. I believe it was on the Foss Islands/Rowntrees/Layerthorpe branch line meeting the Derwent valley railway. The bracket was on a bridge over the lines. Can anyone shed any light on this?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:59 pm 
Random avatar

Does anybody here know if the lighting on Boothferry Road going through Hessle was SOX or fluorescent immediately prior to being replaced with Holophane VMAXes? Thanks.