It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:02 am 
Random avatar

Looks like SOX - what makes you think that it would be fluorescent?
Pulcroft Rd

https://goo.gl/maps/eWQw1pGx6GK2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:54 am 

Some the SOX MAs in Hull and East Riding were converted to PL-L. I uploaded some photos further back in the Yorkshire thread.

It was never a comprehensive rollout but it seems there were more converted than I thought at the time.

Plenty of MAs hanging on in Hull and North Lincs but all I think are SOX. Would love to proven wrong!

At the time it was a white light initiative rather than energy saving, and obviously LED is the king of everything now (apart from being interesting).

Was a rare and admirable moment of initiative and resourcefulness in a world obsessed by replace, replace replace!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:23 pm 
Random avatar

The MAs with SOX in North Lincolnshire are rapidly dying out, nearly every week I'm seeing more getting replaced with LEDs!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:34 pm 

Over the past year I have seen a lot more LED lanterns pop up in Calderdale and Kirklees. In the village of Rastrick one lantern has since been sleeved and a Luma plonked on the top replacing a Beta 5. Thornes Park, Rastrick Common, bits of Thornhill Road and parts of neighbouring Woodhouse has been Axia'd. On one road between Birds Royd Lane and Daisy Road had no lighting for two weeks upon the swap over.

Sometime last year the MRL6 on Dewsbury Road? between what was known as The Clough Inn at Fixby to the roundabout at Bradley Bar have been removed and replaced with large Luma's although one lantern is a V-Max for some strange reason.

One thing I will note is that the Wardle Aureoles at Cragg Vale are still in sterling service, these look great on an evening.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:27 pm 

Speaking of Yorkshire, apparently Leeds is going to roll out LED, having been stung by going high energy with its PFI.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 pm 

deadendwaterfall wrote:
Does anybody here know if the lighting on Boothferry Road going through Hessle was SOX or fluorescent immediately prior to being replaced with Holophane VMAXes? Thanks.
versalift09 wrote:
Looks like SOX - what makes you think that it would be fluorescent?
SilverRay88 wrote:
Some the SOX MAs in Hull and East Riding were converted to PL-L. I uploaded some photos further back in the Yorkshire thread.

It was never a comprehensive rollout but it seems there were more converted than I thought at the time.

Plenty of MAs hanging on in Hull and North Lincs but all I think are SOX. Would love to proven wrong!

At the time it was a white light initiative rather than energy saving, and obviously LED is the king of everything now (apart from being interesting).

Was a rare and admirable moment of initiative and resourcefulness in a world obsessed by replace, replace replace!

Having seen SilverRay88's earlier photographs of the Beverley northern bypass / A1035 Grange Way, and noting that I had never laid eyes on a similarly clever conversion here in the south east, I travelled up to Beverley on a rare day off work in December 2015 to see these for myself. These photographs are nearly 2.5 years old, but are still worth uploading as a way of a permanent record.

A photograph of the A1035 Grange Way, which is lit along its length. These Philips gear-in-bowl MA50s look unremarkable here.

But as the evening draws in, these MA50s light up with white light instead of the familiar orange SOX glow.

Looking west along the A1035 Grange Way from its junction with Hull Bridge Road.

The fluorescent lamps - assumed to be 2 No. PL-L tubes placed end to end - were a perfect retrofit for the old SOX lanterns.

All in all, the retrofit was a very clever adaption.

Another photograph for the record. I understand that these lanters were on borrowed time when these photographs were taken in December 2015.

The view from the footbridge near Marchant Close at dusk.

One of the lanterns performing well at night.

Having said that, the new light distribution pattern was interesting.

Further along the road, some rogue warm white PL-L tubes could be found.

The next three photographs show approximately the same view in daylight, at dusk and at night:

A final view from the footbridge near Marchant Close:

Although LED has now got us used to seeing white light ubiquitously installed on main roads once again, this clever upgrade of old SOX lanterns to white light was a delight to see. It was such a shame it was never adopted more widely.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 pm 

Hi David,

Those photographs are great, you have take some really nice pictures. It's amazing to see that they have used the old MA50s and converted them to PL. It's a shame a few more councils hadn't taken the same approach. I still think the MA range has a modern look about it.

Interesting point, in your last photograph there appears to be a ghostly image of an MA50 running SOX almost reflecting from the road :) :)

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:39 pm 
Site Administration

This GEC Z9454 on an equally vintage steel electricity pole is in Leyburn.

An unsleeved  Stanton and Staveley CS1805 column, still with original GEC Z9532 is located by the railway station.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:57 pm 

Great photos David. The other interesting thing about that installation was that they were group switched.

I still travel that route regularly and the LED's lanterns that replaced them are huge output and horribly glary, just like all the rest of them!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:58 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
Speaking of Yorkshire, apparently Leeds is going to roll out LED, having been stung by going high energy with its PFI.

Been a while since I posted....still keep an eye on things lighting but at a much reduced interest now.

The centre of Leeds has been LED for a few years now. No idea of their model or wattage but they have to be better than their 400W SON predecessors. I will keep an eye on LED progress and update their locations but there's alot of Leeds I don't see since I changed my career path.

*Edit 06/10/18*

LED has appeared on some main routes I frequenly travel. A64 is part LED.

Profile  Personal album