It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:29 am 

Indeed, and this for me is the sweetner for these bulk replacements for LED: in that SON is bowing out from the streets too.

Acomb Road in York from the A59 to Front Street has had it's SON-burning ZX3's replaced with 3-tier V-MAX's, and the result is amazing... other roads which are tree-lined such as Knavesmire Road (LED'd just today) have all the greenery of the trees standing out in pure light as opposed to just greyed out under SON/SOX light.
Some crews doing main road work in York are starting at 0430 in order to replace lanterns before traffic levels build up.

As it stands in York, 6,000 lanterns are currently being replaced - with a possible contract extension for a further 10,000 units to be switched to LED. The inventory is all over the place (I would assume it was printed out over several sheets of paper and left beside a desk fan which was then switched on) and so I don't really have a definitive way to pinpoint where crews are going to be from one day to the next. Last week two crews worked a couple of streets around Monks Cross making a start on taking down the SOX there, the next day they'd gone and I later discovered they'd gone over to the A19 Shipton Road; on Friday they were in Osbaldwick, yesterday at Knavesmire Road (south bank), and today in Layerthorpe and Leeman Road.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:00 pm 

I need to try and get a good photo of the fluorescent converted MA60s on the Beverley bypass before they are v-maxxed along with everything else.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:12 pm 
Random avatar

SilverRay88 wrote:
I need to try and get a good photo of the fluorescent converted MA60s on the Beverley bypass before they are v-maxxed along with everything else.

Need saving if its possible..

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:39 am 

Everything seems to have ground to a halt in Calderdale. It seems that the budget has ran dry as a third of my village has been LED'd. Over in Todmorden nothing has changed which means that the old SOX lanterns may cling on to 2016.

Over in York, the Shambles sees two lanterns - one Jet and a heritage lantern, covered up in a binliner for some strange reason, would love to see what the view is at night.

In Bradfield, Sheffield the Eleco 'Ways' are still in service, sadly in nearby Stannington the mercuries there have gone (last seen in March 2015) and have since been replaced with LED lanterns (I couldn't tell as it was dark).

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:23 am 

The situation with the Shambles in York followed a lighting display as part of the 'illuminating York' light show which takes place for 3-4 days at the back end of the October half term holidays each year.

In Shambles a line or mirrorballs had been installed using catenary wires and LED spotlights mounted to the adjacent buildings. The bin bags over the street lights were to enable the best effect to be had, however the Z5590 on the corner of Shambles and a side entrance to the market didn't get covered up.

It seems as though those who were doing the light show just wanted to get done and out as quickly as possible, not reinstating the normal lighting after they had removed their own equipment

Elsewhere about 6 Philips Iridium 2s have popped up as singles in various places of York city centre... however there is a twist with these because they are not conventional street lights.

Instead these are projector lights fitted with intelligent circuitry and a radar-based system. Also installed as part of the light festival in the city, though the lanterns will remain in place until December.

The lanterns are being referred to as "Shadowing" lights, the radar system tracks people who move under the beam of the light and then a few seconds later a copy of their shadow is beamed across the pool of light (the idea being that the shadow from the previous person is shown just as the next person is walking along, so that a person is walking along with two shadows).

These lanterns are "Leased" from those who organised the light show, and after these are removed then either the previous lantern or an LED lantern will be fitted - in the case of the one outside the Minster it is highly likely a V-Max will be fitted

More recently, as part of the new Stadium project at Monks Cross, which includes a new multiscreen cinema with IMAX and more shops and eateries, the site area has now fenced off a section of Katryn Avenue.

This section contains three 8m columns with 2-month-old V-Max fitted whilst there is the now closed bus lane too which has two columns within the site fitted a DW Windsor lantern also badged as the Kingfisher Serika.

This road is eventually going to be ripped up, as is the curved section of cycle path which goes around the Park and Ride site; the new road will go around behind the new stadium and run parallel to Jockey Lane whilst the P&R carpark is to be extended and squared off with the new cycle path going around the perimeter of that.

This will see a fair few Urbis K-LUX 101s removed in addition to the base-hinged Abacus columns they are fitted to, the aforementioned V-Max and DWWs, and a row of what I believe are Thorn Beta 99s.

Jockey Lane itself has some new columns gone up, with one or two to replace existing columns with V-MAX fitted and and or two others to replace smaller columns sporting TerraLEDs with 8m columns and V-MAX as part of a new shared pathway on one side of the road which includes a new zebra crossing.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:35 am 

Those Iridium 2s fitted with laser projection are very interesting. Laser projection is nothing new, but for it to be fitted within a standard, functional street lighting lantern is most unusual.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:50 pm 

There's one of the those Philips Iridium 2 "Projector" fittings around at Red Tower, as I went past it yesterday with three cups of mulled wine wondering what it was.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:13 am 

They are indeed quite odd to see when up and operational. They're controlled either by bluetooth or wi-fi from a laptop... in one of the photos you can see the van parked to the right, as I happened to pass by on the night these were being set up - the owner of the lanterns was on his laptop entering command prompts of which the DOS-equivalent text was being displayed from the projection onto the ground.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm 

SilverRay88 wrote:

HiSilverRay88, Fluorescent converted Ma60s? They sound very interesting, have you managed to get any pics? I would love to see those.

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:54 am 

Some DW Windsor Serina lanterns may be coming down soon, if anybody is interested you know what to do.

Profile  Personal album