It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:21 pm 
Site Administration

A fine array of Philips gear in body MA90s, 90W SOX still survive south of Marlborough at the start of the Burbage bypass on the A346.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:48 pm 

Highways England is starting a 10 month scheme to replace the street lighting on the A36 through Salisbury from the Bourne Way Roundabout to St Pauls Roundabout, at a cost of £4.5 million over the approx 3.9km length. That's quite a hefty price tag, as that works out at over £57k per 50m length of road, and 10 months is quite extreme for column replacements on one single road. Mind you, there are plans on another bit of Highways England network to replace literally two columns, taking them off DNO supply and introducing a new feeder pillar and cables to serve the two new columns in the process for a grand total of about £63km, so Highways England are brilliant at making cash disappear. Suggestion in the media is that the existing lighting is 44 years old. Whilst that is likely the case some lengths, a greater proportion of the lighting is actually early 1990s, so more like 25 years old.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:51 pm 
Site Administration

Some of it is definitely 80s vintage, the mid 70s installations (columns) are at the western end - perhaps not as old as I thought.The lanterns are around 10 years old. There are a lot of lanterns out especially on Southampton Rd - and with a renewal scheme due, that explains why. On the ring road there are numerous cable faults which are causing further outages.

The price does seem high, but given the extensive traffic management needed, probably night time working and the very limited access - there is no verge in many places on the ring road, so the new lighting will probably have to replace the existing central reservation columns, and the need for new supply feeder points, plus the usual contingency and management fee - it doesn't surprise me.

The entire traffic light system on the ring road, also HE owned is also of the same age and really could do with being replaced with a modern system to better optimise the timings at the same time.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:42 pm 

I've not seen anything written anywhere, but on a trip to Dorset today I spotted that a number of main roads as well as a few side roads had seen their Iridiums replaced with LED fittings, with some roads featuring Philips Lumas, and others (seemingly more recently) featuring Urbis Axia 3s. It's not just the odd location here and there. There seems to be some sort of strategy or larger programme. Question is, what is the scale of the programme?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:03 pm 
Random avatar

Long time without posting but since lockdown, I've been finding myself going on many more walks around my home town (Trowbridge). LED is becoming more common now, though as with a lot of Wiltshire, many areas are still predominantly SOX lit. The current contractor favourite seems to be the Urbis Axia 3 which I find somewhat ugly, but many seem to use 'warm white' LEDs as opposed to the normal cool white hue. Urbis Axia 3s seem to be the choice of casual replacement, the current contractor seems very keen to retain columns where possible. Other LED lanterns such as Axia 1s, Lumas and a white square body one I'm yet to identify can also be seen.

The thing that's most interesting is they seem to be installing an LED replacement lamp in Beta 5s of all varieties (including top entry versions on concrete brackets.) It is very surreal seeing some Beta 5s omit white light but they are quite effective. Obviously a way for the old lighting to hang around longer too which I'm not complaining about. Interesting point that so far this seems to have only been fitted in Beta 5s. All other 35w SOX lanterns (the town also has a fair amount of MI50/MI51s, P223/P225s,  Z9530s and Z9580s) still burn SOX but it wouldn't surprise me if eventually, LED lamps were fitted to these too.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 pm 

Wiltshire aren't fitting SOX lamps in their 35W SOX lanterns anymore. The LED 'lamps' are I believe a stopgap measure pending replacement with LED lanterns as part of the whole-county renewal.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:02 pm 
Random avatar

sotonsteve wrote:
Wiltshire aren't fitting SOX lamps in their 35W SOX lanterns anymore. The LED 'lamps' are I believe a stopgap measure pending replacement with LED lanterns as part of the whole-county renewal.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:43 am 
Site Administration

Good to hear from you Indust, its been a while..

Wiltshire appeared to stop repairing SOX lanterns back in May 2017. Lumas were used as casual replacements. There had been some early model Axias before then. Vmaxs were also used for some new schemes in Salisbury. SOX relamps were still taking place.

By 2019 SOX lamps were exhausted and LED retrofits started using Venture LED retrofits.

Their reliability isn't great in leaky Beta 5s were the bowl gaskets have long gone.

That lasted until around 6 months ago when Axia 3s started being used for even re-lamps of failed SOX lanterns, usually with the bracket removed and the lantern mounted post top.

Not sure what has happened with the mass LED replacement scheme. Chippenham should have been first and Salisbury was due before the end of 2019. No sign of it yet.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:08 pm 
Site Administration

The LED replacement program has now hit Salisbury with Axia 3s appearing on residential streets.

Surprisingly, the Telensa CMS, has been replaced by conventional NEMA cells, the plan was for the CMS to be retained and expanded in coverage, so whether this may just be interim.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:37 pm 
Site Administration

The new order in Salisbury Axia 3 on vintage Stanton 7b column.

Close up.

There are some black Axias as well.

Profile  Personal album