It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:20 pm 
Site Administration

The A36 re-lighting by Highways England/National Highways or whatever they are called this week, still drags on. The Southampton Rd stretch is still unfinished.  However the old central res columns have finally gone from Churchill Way East.

On this section of dual carriageway, the columns are mostly on 1 side of the verge, with the lanterns having to light 4 lanes. The light is more even than  you would expect, but 1 carriageway is obviously brighter than the other.

However at the roundabout approaches and slip roads, the lighting is brighter. RF switching is
used so I don’t know if this brightness change is done by dimming or different rated lanterns. Having verge post top columns, at (I guess) 12m, its actually much less visually intrusive than the old 10m twin arm long bracket columns in the central res.

On the whole it looks quite good and provides appropriate lighting levels, its just taking forever to complete.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:09 pm 

Hopefully relighting on the A31 near Ferndown doesn't take as long. I think they may have just started. They are replacing 1970s and 1980s columns, of which there have been a couple along there where brackets or entire columns have collapsed due to corrosion, of which one brought down an 11kV overhead cable with it. Many of the columns have been chopped off at the base in recent years, and there are also missing brackets and lanterns, so relighting is much needed and better late than never.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:49 pm 
Random avatar

Hello this is my first time on forums:

Has anyone who is in Wilts seen if there is any surviving SOX lanterns - they’re supposed to be finished in 10 days but I can’t I imagine they will be especially around Salisbury?

Has anyone had any experience in getting lanterns off them or going to a depot?

Also has anyone got any really nice Wilts SOX streetlighting  pics or crew working? Have you managed to get anything off the contractors in Wilts?

Here are some holiday snaps from this year - enjoy - I know phosco152 will recognise some of these lanterns :  (all pics from Aug 2021)

Can’t seem to attach them

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:25 pm 
Site Administration

All of Wilts SOX is gone. There is the odd straggler of a few Beta 5s and I think the odd GEC9454 in Salisbury, but its certainly not worth a special visit.

You won't have any luck getting anything off the maintenance crews and there isn't anything left to have.

To post images I would suggest an image hosting site such as Imgur, or others. The forum attachment limit has now been reached so there is no space left.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:59 pm 

I've been to Wiltshire quite a lot recently. With regards SOX:

Nursery Road in Salisbury appeared to be fully lit with the golden glow of SOX last Saturday

This Beta 5 on Netherhampton Road was also still in existence last Saturday

This Beta 5 on the A36 at South Newton was also still lighting up last Saturday. Despite being a trunk road, some of the lighting in Stafford and South Newton appears to be maintained by Wiltshire Council whilst some of the lighting is maintained by National Highways, so it's a bit of a mixture. Since I last went along here, lots of Axia 3s have appeared.

A couple of Z9454s still existed on the A362 near Warminster last Saturday too, though one wasn't working

Three weeks ago, this Z9454 in Catherine Street in Salisbury was still present, as seen from Nando's

So, it would appear they have missed out replacing some SOX here and there. I haven't even mentioned SON lighting.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:04 pm 
Random avatar

It seems the Main bulk of the Wiltshire conversion to LED has now been completed, the crew have now turned their attention to heritage style lanterns. Interestingly they have decided to LED retrofit most of them (not sure who makes the led retrofits). However in Salisbury on the market square the fairly new Cosmo lanterns have been replaced for DW Windsor heritage lanterns, what’s lovely about these installs is they look like gas  lanterns!  

Most of the lanterns that survived the June 2020 replacements in Salisbury still remain, about 30% of  sox installs remaining  have now burnt out (predominately the all night lit 90w sox lanterns in the city) most of the residential stuff still going strong. I presume the  crew will replace these when all the heritage stuff has been retrofitted.  However, what became very clear in Salisbury was the huge amount of installs on residential roads that don’t use nodes which leads me to think they are private installs? But weirdly most of the lights are identical lights & columns that the council used so clearly Wiltshire installed them originally? Not sure if Wiltshire had a project of disowning street lanterns, perhaps the city of Salisbury maintains them?
What makes this more weird though as some of the installs have recently been replace with the axia 3 lantern with a SELC photocell leading me to think Wiltshire council still maintains and repairs them on behalf of the city or residents?

Any information would be very appreciated :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:29 am 
Site Administration

You are mistaken with respect to ownership of lighting in Salsibury - it is all mainatined on a county basis - the city has no ownership of any assets since the unitary Wiltshire Council was created more than a decade ago.  Lighting was not a devolved operation when Salisbury City Council existed.

There isn't a  a"huge amount of installs on residential roads that don’t use nodes". All legacy lighting was converted from conventional photocell to Telensa RF switching around 10 years ago when part night/selective switching was brought in.

You are also mistaken with respect to nodes and SELC cells. All the LED Axias use a new version of Telensa RF  CMS switching cell. See my extensive descripition here - post of 3rd Nov 2020. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144&start=130

Some SOX lighting was left, predominately on concrete columns that are slowly being sleeved, or installations which were in difficult locations where a "quick" swap wasn't possible or where traffic management would be required. These will be changed as they burn to exinction.

The market square installations are not new, again they have been there since at least mid 2000s so would be considered life expired especailly given energy costs. Cosmo is seen as an obsolete lamp given its high replacement cost.

Salisbury was only partly converted to LED in the summer of 2020. This was based on areas where the lamps were oldest with about half the city completed. The remaining parts were done in the summer of 2021. At the same time Highways England - or whatever they are called now, replaced the lighting on the A36, which took well over 18 months to complete.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:38 am 
Random avatar

Firstly, the fairly new heritage cosmo lanterns on the market square were replaced in July  for LED gas style lanterns. This is a fact as I was there in July and they had been replaced. The older style heritage  lanterns have been led retrofitted rather than replaced.

When I enquired about the what I branded as ‘private installs’ - these were lanterns on streets that weren’t replaced in the recent led programs, and also don’t have a Telensla node, they just have a conventional photocell.

Examples as follows….

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.07362 ... 384!8i8192

(Shows a 90s Beta 5, further up the road is an Iridium)(these were very standard lanterns for Wiltshire council) (still there in July 2022).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.08151 ... 384!8i8192

(Shows a road full of SOX & SON lanterns)(the SOX lanterns have LED retrofits used by Wiltshire as a stopgap).

You can see my confusion - who owns these lanterns? Did Wiltshire ever own these lanterns??

With regards to my SELC comment - I am aware the council installed their stock with the Telensla RF node - but some installs which were on private Beta 5s (I think) which were converted to Axia 3s have SELC photocells on them rather than  the Telensla stock. There is also a car park that has been going under some river regeneration - this has resulted more Axia 3s installed - they appear to be identical to the Wiltshire ones - just they use a photocell

I am just curious is it Wiltshire council installing these lanterns? Who owns them is it the city?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:17 pm 
Site Administration

They are all Wilts council owned as explained in my previous post. Some lighting did miss conversion to earlier Telensa RF nodes prior to the LED rollout. Salisbury "city" has not had ownership of lighting assets for decades. All Axia 3s have the latest Telensa combined RF/optical nodes. No new lighting is installed without RF switching. The newest RF nodes look very similar to an optical cell, but they are RF nodes.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:24 pm 

Might there be some form of agreement that Wiltshire Council will provide and maintain lighting on unadopted roads, but if capital replacement is desired they need to go to the residents of the road? As such, just being kept going? Different councils have different policies.

Profile  Personal album