It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:54 am 

versalift09 wrote:
Plymouth's replacement of all lanterns to LED began earlier in the summer and is now progressing through residential areas. In basic terms all lanterns will be replaced by Urbis Amperas.

I think Urbis Amperas look absolutely hideous. Along with the Teceo, it is among the worst looking things they have put out.

What's wrong with Axias?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:55 pm 

A trip to Bournemouth today revealed good progress with the LED conversions, mainly on side roads at the moment. On side roads Bournemouth are using Phosco P852 lanterns. These lanterns are smaller than I thought they would be, as their length and width is similar to that of a 55W SOX lantern. They are very slim indeed. Whilst they aren't the prettiest lanterns, they don't look as bad as I thought they would, thanks to their compact and slim nature. It does seem funny seeing LED on all those casties though, as they are merely taking off or chopping off the old lanterns and retaining brackets where they exist.

Meanwhile, a few main road LED lanterns have appeared. These are LED Roadway NXT fixtures, which are an American design which has spread overseas.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:50 pm 
Random avatar

Nice to know that Bournemouth is retaining an American theme with its streetlighting - the Phosco P235/6s it used on its side streets always reminded me of American lanterns! In fact, to me a lot of Phosco lanterns look American in design, especially the P678.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:57 pm 

The P678 was American, as it was a rebadged GE M250 with European control gear and a different optical system.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:10 pm 
Random avatar

danwho9 wrote:
versalift09 wrote:
Plymouth's replacement of all lanterns to LED began earlier in the summer and is now progressing through residential areas. In basic terms all lanterns will be replaced by Urbis Amperas.

I think Urbis Amperas look absolutely hideous. Along with the Teceo, it is among the worst looking things they have put out.

What's wrong with Axias?

Don't come to Plymouth then!

I believe they changed the spec from Axias to Amperas as they are cheaper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:21 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
Meanwhile, a few main road LED lanterns have appeared. These are LED Roadway NXT fixtures, which are an American design which has spread overseas.

I went to Bournemouth the other day (it rained!), and noticed the new lights. I have to say I'm not keen on the new Roadway NXTs, they're a little ugly.

Last edited by danwho9 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:09 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
It looks like time is running out for this GEC Z8270 fluorescent lantern adjacent to the car park at Trowbridge station. It is on the site of a long derelict factory and it looks like demolition of the site is now underway.

Went past here today on the train and the lantern has been removed. Both columns remain.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:38 pm 
Site Administration

Hmm, a few weeks ago it was still there. There has been a headless column for there a while but the one with the lantern on is quite tricky to see from the train - its at the "Salisbury end" of the site. Another relic lost.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:08 pm 
Random avatar

Clearly I must be blind, as the fluorescent fitting was still there today :) I must have mistaken a scaffolding pole or something for the column. Feel free to call me an idiot!

Rob.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:24 pm 
Site Administration

Ah it lives!  Any idea who the demolition contractor is?

Profile  Personal album