Founder
Random avatar

Acacia Cat wrote:
STEEEELAs

Wow - I've not seen that before!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:53 pm 
Site Administration

The so called Stela "round". Mazeteam had spotted some and here are some in the Netherlands and at night.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:48 pm 
Random avatar

South Gloucestershire council were LEDing the A4174 Filton Road last Tuesday when I drove past. The westbound carriage was being done at the time. Lanterns appeared to be Luma-like. May have been something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:44 pm 

Central government funding for street lighting upgrades has been announced for the following areas:

Devon -
To provide replacement street lighting on all main roads throughout Devon taking advantage of modern innovation in lighting design.

Gloucestershire -
With 34% council contribution this scheme will support the council’s £20m LED invest-to-save project, converting all street lighting to LED utilising a Central Management System (CMS) by March 2019, to maximise energy saving, CO2 reduction and maintenance savings. This includes replacing 6,135 aluminium/ concrete life-expired columns, which are only inspected visually.

Details listed are taken from Highways Magazine.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:36 pm 
Random avatar

Hi all, first time post here!

I live in Worthing which comes under the South Coast PFI - Iridiums, Libras & Arcs - as already discussed here.

After reading about Bournemouth's LED upgrade here, today I had a chance to visit Bournemouth so could get a peek at the new fixtures.

Bournemouth is having three different types of LED luminares installed - Phosco P852 for side roads, Roadway - can't remember type - for main roads and Urbis Amperas on larger roads.

The P852 looks fugly but of interesting and unique design, something that we'll never see over in Sussex! The Roadway type looks great, a properly built fixture like the Phosco P850, Urbis Senso and Philips Iridium2 instead of the uninspiring looking Indal Luma, Stela & Urbis Axia etc.

Bournemouth happened to choose the Roadway over the Phosco P850 for main roads, this may be down to costs or specs. I'm not a fan of the Bournemouth Amperas, these don't look good in black which grey would look better that I assume black may be the default colour.

It has been mentioned on here that Poole is to start its LED upgrade, I just happened to come across new installations being put up, at the border with Bournemouth, in Poole. I can confirm that Poole are following Bournemouth's lead by installing Roadways - no Amperas - however it seems side roads are getting smaller Roadways instead of P852s.

Hope this update helps!

Jake

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:38 am 

Thanks for the update. Last time I visited Bournemouth, significant progress had been made on side roads with Phosco P852s, and only a handful of streets had received LED Roadway NXT lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:33 pm 
Site Administration

Over the last year Wiltshire has been retrofitting the Telensa RF node system to its lighting.

But I wasn't aware if that part night switching had been implemented - a policy document published in 2012, indicated that part night was the preferred option to meet carbon targets and reduce energy costs.

New documentation shows that part night was implemented in Trowbridge 6 months ago, and that the roll out for the rest of the county will be over this summer as follows:

1st July:

Melksham,  Westbury,  Salisbury,  Laverstock,  Wilton

5th August:

Warminster,  Corsham,  Chippenham, Bradford on Avon

2nd September:

Calne,  Malmesbury,  Royal Wotton Bassett,  Devizes,  Marlborough,  Amesbury

Quote:
Lights at junctions, pedestrian crossings and where required for safety will remain on all
night. Lighting where there are CCTV systems, in the town centre, and in areas where
crime is a problem will remain on and at normal lighting levels

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:36 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Devon is next...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:42 pm 
Site Administration

Well before they all go, a few relics in Exeter spotted this weekend.

Revo Groveland column, Bleeco control box and Urbis ZXU1 with radio node. Column was one of several that had freshly been repainted. Note how close it is to the kerb.

Another Groveland, but very unusual. This example was outside a fire station. The fire station itself was a modern building but this column looks to be a link back to its past. It is not known if it actually lights up.

Early 1960s Stewarts and Lloyd fluted column with twin, square lock door and Urbis K-Lux lantern – the more unusual type 102 version.

Find of the day was this AC Ford wall box and bracket fitted with an original version Atlas Beta 4 with a glass refractor bowl. Incredibly rare, the original design was introduced in 1958.

It is not clear if this lantern is still in service. It is situated in an alley way, but redevelopment part way along, looks like it now leads to private land. There was a locked gate at the entrance to the alley, so it may no longer be a public right of way and the installation may be disused/forgotten.

Close up of lantern, bowl clip is partially undone, given the weight of the bowl, this unique installation may not survive intact much longer.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:49 pm 

That is actually a Revo Prefect, just with a more unusual style of bowl.

Profile  Personal album