It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:59 pm 
Site Administration

Phosco152 wrote:
After a delay of a few weeks, the Telensa nodes have now reached the centre of Salisbury. However, passing through Warminster by train yesterday, I noticed that some residential streets had yet to be fitted in that town.

I wrote that back in June, I noticed that the nodes have now reached Warminster in the last few weeks.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:40 pm 
Site Administration

Expansion of the Bishopdown Farm housing estate in Salisbury has seen these 8m columns with SGS203s replaced with new galvanised steel columns and Urbis Teceo LED lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:30 pm 

I went past that estate the same day I noticed the Axia and I didn't really like the look of the Teceo installation. They should have used Arcs or Axias.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:16 pm 
Site Administration

danwho9 wrote:
When I was in Salisbury yesterday visiting family I noticed that a side-entry Thorn Beta 5 on a sleeved concrete column was being replaced with a new shiny Urbis Axia. This was on a footpath off the London Road. I think it was around here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.08 ... sic&dg=opt

The new column with the Axia is mid-hinged, no doubt due to the difficult access - low tree branches, steps one side and a footpath on the other. Driving across grass to access columns is now frowned upon, no doubt to H&S but also the practicalities of driving a rear wheel drive vehicle of 3.5 tonnes over what could be wet grass - i.e likely to get stuck.

Phosco152 wrote:
Expansion of the Bishopdown Farm housing estate in Salisbury has seen these 8m columns with SGS203s replaced with new galvanised steel columns and Urbis Teceo LED lanterns.

danwho9 wrote:
I went past that estate the same day I noticed the Axia and I didn't really like the look of the Teceo installation.

It is likely these new columns have been paid for by the developer rather than Wiltshire, hence the use of Teceos rather than Axias.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:16 pm 

Something interesting has happened in Bath (finally). The MI26 in the trees here has been removed and a new mid-hinged Forest column stands there. The lantern has yet to be installed, but it is almost certainly going to be an LED mini iridium. It must have been installed recently, as there was still a blockade around it. There hasn't been much activity around that area, apart from when the SOX lanterns on Calton Gardens had new SOX lamps fitted  :D.

Other casual replacements have been popping up here and there. This lantern (thank goodness) and this one (you can see the column because GSV updated) are now gone. There could be more, but I have yet to look. I hope they replace Snow Hill soon, because it is not exactly friendly :? , and sodium is far from adequate.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:28 pm 

I decided to walk by that area to see if anything had changed… now I'm confused! I decided to investigate Greenway Lane, because I'd seen some new LEDs when I was going up to Odd Down. The new Lanterns were LED Iridiums… Iridium 1s. Up to now, I didn't even know the Iridium came with LED options. I suspect it doesn't, because the LEDs are in the same formation as Mini Iridiums.

Meanwhile, the new column has a SON iridium on it and a new column has popped up further down the footpath. It's strange how B&NES install LEDs on side and main roads, but SON on footpaths. I just don't get it. :?

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:35 pm 
Random avatar

danwho9 wrote:
I went past that estate the same day I noticed the Axia and I didn't really like the look of the Teceo installation. They should have used Arcs or Axias.

Agree about using the Arc (There is an LED & LED Retrofit option now), don't like the Axia AT ALL but the Urbis Senseo does look quite nice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:31 pm 
Site Administration

Another example of lighting not replaced by the Dorset PFI are these Philips MI55 lanterns on 1980s British Steel columns.

The SON lamps have scorched the bowls.

The A35 through Dorset is comes under the Highways Agency but maintenance is subcontracted out via a DBFO Contract  (SWH &  Balfour Beatty) and so these installations have been out of scope of the Dorset PFI.

The A35 at Chideock, west of Bridport used to contain a fine array of pole mounted Phosco P157 90W SOX lanterns. Even more unusual is that they are the rarer deep bowl variety.

Pictured among a tangle of overhead electricity wires and from a moving vehicle, this is the last example left in this location, old age has seen many retired recently. Only one other SOX lantern survives apart from the Phosco, a Philips MA90. Many of the replacement lanterns are Indal (Philips) Arcs.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:27 pm 
Random avatar

Plymouth's replacement of all lanterns to LED began earlier in the summer and is now progressing through residential areas. In basic terms all lanterns will be replaced by Urbis Amperas. Side roads with 5/6m columns see 16 Led Ampera Minis, 8m columns see 24 or 32 Led Ampera Midis, and 10m columns see 32 or 48 LED Ampera Midis.
Existing Axias may be retainied in some streets, but the majority are being replaced (after 1-2 years!!!!).
All "old" lanterns (ZX1s, ZXU1s, Iridiums, Libras, Aresas, Linfords, Arcs, Sapphires, Evolos, K-Luxs, ZX2s, ZX3s, Syracuses) are being skipped.
More decorative schemes will see other lanterns such as Abbeys, Kios, & Hestias used.

The desecration of the city has begun  :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:21 pm 
Random avatar

I stayed over in Plymouth last night and thankfully it is still mainly SON.