It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:22 pm 
Random avatar

Tried to see this morning on the train, but there were no obvious signs.

Edit: According to this site it is a company called Matthews Group.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:34 pm 
Site Administration

Well I've contacted them, past history with demolition contractors has not been very successful.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:41 am 

I bring you sad news.

This old lantern has been removed. These lanterns used to be common around the town centre shortly after the war, but most have been replaced. The bracket appears to be tailored to fit the lantern, as it still remains with a metal loop that the lantern slotted into. I expect that the next one will follow and we will lose one of Bath's last main road S&Ls. :(

Meanwhile, the new column by Alexandra Park has been topped with an LED mini-iridium. Strangely, the lantern installed around October was a SON iridium. My guess is that it was a lantern from the pre-LED phase that they wanted to get rid of.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:05 am 

In March 2014, sotonsteve wrote:
All street lighting in Bournemouth is being upgraded to CU Phosco LED lighting this year as part of a nearly £8million investment. Most of the 16500 columns in the borough will have new lanterns retrofitted, but 1000 steel columns will be replaced. There is talk that the new lanterns will be capable of supporting WiFi too. The lighting will apparently result in energy savings of 73%, although that isn't hard given that Bournemouth uses SON lighting in about the most energy inefficient way possible.

So, all those Phosco P235s and P236s, all those Phosco P170s, GEC Turtles, Thorn Alpha 8s, etc, they're all on their way out!

It is a great shame to hear that this is happening and the old lanterns cannot soldier on for a little longer. The mix of old lanterns is arguably as unique to the town as the smell of the pine trees, and I hope they never chop all those down in the name of progress.

Although a considerable distance from Essex, I've been lucky enough to visit the town a few times for work over the last few years. I've even had the time to capture a few photographs between shifts, which I think are worth sharing here, as many of them were taken at night  :)

A Phosco P236, photographed in March 2008.

...and close-up (I think this image has been on UKASTLE for a number of years).

An ELECO PT1004 running a SON lamp, one of many such lanterns that once populated Bournemouth's side streets. Photographs taken in October 2013.

...and close-up of course.

A night view of the same lantern.

..and close-up. These are rare nowadays, so the extra photographs are worth it.

Perhaps the rarest and most visually pleasing of Bournemouth's old lanterns is the Thorn Gamma Two vertical fluorescent lantern...

This was one such lantern which was next to my hotel during a stay in October 2013, so there were plenty of chances to get the additional photographs below.

Another image of the same lantern. Of the very few examples I saw, they were only used on refuge islands at junctions and pedestrian crossing points.

...and close-up.

When viewed at night, the lantern looks stunning.

The mercury glow provides a good contrast to the surrounding SON lighting.

Sadly it's clear that the fluorescent tubes are gone, having been replaced with an 80w mercury lamp which maybe running on the same gear.

...and close-up.

And a final nocturnal view of the lantern in action. If this lantern and the few others have now gone, I hope they were saved into collections.

Lastly, photographs of two Phosco P170s taken in February 2014. I think this lantern is the same lantern Phosco152 photographed here.

On the other side of the same roundabout, this Phosco P170 is still running a mercury lamp.

A close-up view of the lantern.

I'm sure I'll be back in Bournemouth again someday soon, but I won't be looking up as much as I used to  :(

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:14 pm 

As always, some lovely images, David.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:36 pm 

Yes, those Gamma 2s are beautiful at night. It is a crying shame that their time is running out, but unfortunately they can't last forever!

P.S. This may seem like an odd question but does anyone know the manufacturer of the column that the Phosco P170 lantern on the roundabout is on? I really love those old columns.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:54 pm 
Site Administration

The "round" P170 roundabout column is by Stewarts and Lloyd and dates from around 1965-1975.

The zebra crossing folded metal column with the P170 is more difficult to tell. Phosco made such columns as did GEC during the 60s and 70s. The Stainton versions were late 70s onwards. It does look to chunky for that manufacturer though.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:21 pm 

Slowly but surely, the Arc is making it's way into Wiltshire. I know this because I went to the Melksham Aldi with 50% disabled spaces :?.

In Atworth, this telephone pole (i think) has an Arc, and so does this column. It won't be winning any awards!  One of these columns has an Arc on a new column. Other Arcs have appeared as casual replacements in the town. I hope they replace this endemic amount of Iridiums ( I may need a vomiting emoticon). This scene has lots of old GEC post tops and some I can't identify.

Elsewhere:

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:58 pm 

I read something about SSE in Dorset having to replace new columns due to being substandard.

Apparently SSE changed column supplier during the PFI bulk replacements and failed to correctly specify the column root protection. Combined with shoddy workmanship, this meant that around 5000 columns were "non compliant" with what was specified in the contract. The new columns were meant to have a design life of 50 years believe it or not. As a result, SSE has gone back and replaced these columns at its own cost.

Of course, aside from defective new columns, there were a number of old columns in Dorset that were due to be replaced that were forgotten thanks to SSE mismanagement, and are continuing to be maintained with no sign of replacement a good three years after bulk replacements ended. It's exactly the same mismanagement we are experiencing on the neighbouring South Coast PFI.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:12 pm 

Bristol is now converting to LED (Axias and Iridium2s). Their big list of recently installed lanterns is:

Pictures

This is now a LED mini-Iridium like the one further down.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album