It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:10 am 
Random avatar

Update from Bath, several side roads in the Bathwick Road area have had lantern swaps in the last few weeks. Existing columns, some dating from the '60s have been retained, with what I believe to be Iridium gen3 minis installed. The swaps have included Cleveland Walk which had a fine array of original SOX lanterns.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:07 am 
Random avatar

Spotted a couple of old lanterns in an abandoned pub car park on the A338 south of Salisbury. Cannot remember what they are called.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:35 pm 
Site Administration

Falks Beaufort. I've known about them for years. The pub shut down a few years back.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:57 pm 

Last week I was in Trowbridge (Trow-vegas going by what the locals call it) and I noticed that near to the railway station this lantern and column has gone. Meanwhile in the town centre these Alpha 3's are still standing as of 30th July 2016.

I also popped down to Westbury too and noticed that there is still a large amount of SOX that still suvives in the town and each lantern has node fitted.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:27 pm 
Site Administration

The GEC fluorescent went several years ago and was reported on Ukastle at the time. Efforts to save it were to no avail.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:02 pm 
Site Administration

Scottish and Southern having been carrying out a program of LV pole replacement in South Wiltshire over the last few months.

2 poles in my village have been replaced, and they also both had pole mounted Beta 5s on them. One had a partially holed bowl and evidence of water ingress - I suspect this was actually from around the NEMA socket gasket as the bowl was rust marked, implying water damaging the gear tray, where as a bowl hole should just let water run out.

During pole replacement SSE were somewhat clumsy. During the removal of the lanterns onto the new poles they smashed both ends of the bowl even further, and the clip and also broke the bowl clip on the other lantern. Both bowls ended up being secured with tie wraps.

However the Beta 5 with signs of water ingress then failed to operate. Reporting the fault online, I was expecting the non operating lantern to be replaced with a SON Arc, which still seems to be the choice for casual replacements. Although LED lanterns are used for some new installations, that light source is not the defacto replacement.

I was surprised that only 48 hours after reporting the fault, Ringways had the lantern back in operation, with a replacement bowl, rather than a new lantern. The bowl is secured with tape, which seems to indicate the same canopy. The old bowl was too rust marked to see the gear tray, where as now the replacement bowl is in place, the gear tray looks "reasonable", so perhaps that was swapped as well.

The previous contractors, Balfour Beatty had also been noted for swapping bowls on Beta 5s and having spares, but perhaps a more measured approach to avoid unnecessary replacements is in place, probably driven by tight budgets.

Whatever the reason, 1 more SOX lantern lives a bit longer  :)  - unless it still fills up with water ... :?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:11 pm 
Site Administration

Wiltshire may have now stopped using SON lanterns for new installations in favour of LED. Although LED lanterns (Urbis Axias) had been used for the last 2 years on some footpaths on replacement columns, main roads and residential streets had still been using Philips (Indal) SON Arcs for new installations. However, this casual replacement of a GEC Z9480 35W SOX, uses a Philips Luma LED lantern. The same type of lantern has also been spotted on new columns that have replaced older concrete columns - a situation that had until recently, used Arcs.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:44 pm 
Random avatar

In Bath, the LED street light upgrades in the city (only replacing the lanterns, which use Philips iridium gen3 minis) finished around December 2016 and Bathnes have since been upgrading their lights around small towns and villages in the Bathnes area but using a white style iridium instead. The whole program is to finish in the Summer.

Also a side road in Bath called Caroline Place which is just off Lansdown Road has recently been installed with new swan neck street lights! I think they were installed around early 2017. I have never seen a council install swan neck street lights before for a normal side road. They are not any type of fancy swan neck, just ones that you would commonly find in Bath. There are 4 all together which had replaced 4 older swan neck street lights. They were all installed with iridium gen3 minis and most of the columns are concrete utilities. I don't know if this will be the new street light column for Bath or if the council is just trying them out as Bath is a heritage city.

Attachments:
File comment: 1 of the new swan neck street lights installed around early 2017 with iridium gen3 mini lanterns. Notice how the bracket seems slightly angular before the curve.
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG [ 906.88 KiB | Viewed 16412 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:13 pm 
Random avatar

New update from Bath, Bailbrook Lane has also had a new swan neck street light installed probably within the last month or so due to the previous old swan neck column being sawn off because there were building works going on. Bathnes/BANES council only seem to be using the new swan neck columns for swan neck columns which previously stood there, as I have also recently seen some common post top street lamps replacing some normal columns.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:55 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Thanks for the Bath updates, and welcome to the site.

Dartmouth's Stewart & Lloyd Alpha 7s (and MRL 6s) have finally been replaced with new heritage installations as of 2016.

Profile  Personal album