It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:06 pm 
Random avatar

There's also a nearly the whole of Sunderland and Teesside which is too SON dominated. On the A19 near Silverlink a good number of SON A2000s have been replaced with LED Speedstars.

What you have to remember is that most of the Newcastle PFI was carried out from around 2005 - 2009 when the light source for nearly all places was SON. It's only in the last two years that we've seen anything other than SON for new run of the mill installations up here apart from CFL which has now taken a backseat due to LED technology.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:50 pm 
Random avatar

All of Northumberland's lighting stock is set to be replaced with LED technology. All cast iron, concrete and steel ones with design flaws are also set to be replaced as part of what sounds like a PFI style agreement. The total number of column replacements is set to be around 17000 out of Northumberland's stock of just over 46000 units. The scheme will last for 3 years, the document I was reading had a start date of Mid 2014 although it appears to have already started in places. Illuminated bollards will be replaced with non illuminated reflective ones too. All of the lanterns will be hooked up to a central management system to facilitate for dimming in the future.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:45 am 

It does sound like a PFI, or at least the result of some sort of grant. Sounds like a lot of any remaining interesting stock will go within the next 3 years then.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:48 pm 
Random avatar

Some columns have just been topped on a new housing estate on part of the former Shotley Bridge Hospital site. The first stage of the development is now complete, the second is nearing completion. However something which happened which surprised me was that when the columns were topped they were done so using Thorn Beta 2s running SOX. Don't get excited though they aren't here to stay. The first stage was topped out with Iridiums until building had finished, these were then replaced with Urbis Abbeys running CDO-TT. I believe that this was a precautionary measure in case any of the Abbeys were damaged during the ongoing building work. One of the Beta 2s  has a taped up bowl so the clip must of been damaged and some are yellowed showing they have been used elsewhere.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:43 am 

The developer might own those temporary lanterns, and it could be their policy to put up temporary lights during the building works.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:22 am 
Random avatar

They were installed by Acorn Lighting Services as I seen one of they're buckets coming out of there the other day.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:51 pm 
Random avatar
I know I don't normally post here but I just thought I'd post what the lanterns were on my last run up North in 2011 before I leave at the end of the year.

Hutton Henry:
An assortment of lanterns.
Beta 2: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hutton+h ... 61.94,,1,0
GEC Z9530M: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hutton+h ... .3,,1,0.09
Phillips MI36: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hutton+h ... 21,,0,0.18
Urbis ZX1: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hutton+h ... 21,,0,0.18

Elm Avenue, Sedgefield:
Revo Lucidor lanterns on wooden telegraph poles reside here.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=elm+aven ... .86,,1,-15

Main Street, Ferryhill:
Thorn Alpha 9 lanterns on wooden telegraph poles reside here. I always called them 'Angry Lanterns', because their deep bowl and the line on the top of the bowl looks like it is cross.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Mainsfor ... ,,1,-15.09

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:36 am 
Random avatar

These are a good example of some typical Durham installations in the past. I imagine the Alpha 9s are likely on borrowed time due to the council not replacing the lamps in main road SOX lanterns and instead replacing them. Presumably due to the huge numbers of SGS203s, Alpha 8s, ZX3s replaced in 2010-11 that are still in useable condition, making it uneconomical to purchase large SOX lamps. At the moment residential SOX is still replaced.

The links which show the side road lanterns is also a setup that is widely used in Durham but in my area is faced with serious decline. This is partly due to the LED programme which has replaced now most side street installations combined with the rolling out of radio switched Thorn Oracles on side streets in recent years.

Another factor that appears to be speeding this up too is the move by Northern Powergrid to replace all single overhead cables with insulated concentric ones. This has lead to the council installing they're new lanterns and combination boxes either above or below the existing installations awaiting connection at the time of the cable replacements, possibly this may save them a service connection cost?  

The new mounting devices are Pudsey Diamond combination boxes and the lanterns are Thorn Isaro LEDs and both bowled and cut off versions are used. It's also nice to see that the old AC Ford combination boxes are being refitted to the poles and reused with new lanterns instead of being replaced.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:22 pm 
Random avatar

This cropped up on a local history society page. Look on the column to the right of the pub and there is a plastic illuminated Santa Claus mounted upon it. These were put on columns all over the town. Imagine the risk assessment for that today, mounting things on new columns is bad enough, let alone a concrete one.

Attachments:
consett.png
consett.png [ 972.6 KiB | Viewed 20071 times ]
 Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:51 pm 
Random avatar
Yes, it could catch fire immediately or cause the lanterns to illuminate the sky..  :lol:

If these laws didn't exist, I'd love to see these on columns. They give a little festive hint to it.  :)