It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:47 am 

Well that's a shame. Still, since the council seem to be big on recycling the P222s, if you have space for one it might be worth a shot banging off a politely worded email. You never know.... the worst they can do is say no or say they've already been broken up.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:41 am 

They may be refurbished and deployed elsewhere. Sadly I haven't got space for a P222 if they were offered to collectors.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:45 pm 
Random avatar

After a quiet time on replacements in Durham they seem to have re-started the mass replacements of residential SON and SOX lanterns but this time with Thorn Isaro LED lanterns, I am unsure of the wattage as I have only seen them whilst driving but they seem to be progressing fast with the replacements so it may not be long before SOX disappears from County Durham.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:07 pm 

Looking on the website, the Isaro looks to me like a flattened Civic.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:20 pm 

The Isaro to me looks like two reworked lanterns, the Jet and Civic sping to mind. If they are popular in County Durham, then its likely that it could spread elsewhere in the North East.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:37 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

A close up of one of Durham's new LED lanterns can be seen here - they are definitely not Thorn Isaros. Any takers?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:50 pm 
Random avatar

Alex wrote:
A close up of one of Durham's new LED lanterns can be seen here - they are definitely not Thorn Isaros. Any takers?

They are Urbis Axias

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:01 am 

GEC 'Boat' found in Thornaby located near to the railway station. Did Cleveland County Council (as it was then) use these lanterns in great masses?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:27 am 
Random avatar

They are using both Isaros and Urbis Axias They both look very strange on concrete columns I must say and the light output from the Axias is somewhat underpowered. As the ones fitted in Consett only have two of the LED clusters unlike the one pictured which has three. I will get out and get some more pictures when I get some time. As of yet there have been no replacements on main roads. The number of lanterns to be replaced is 40,000 over the next 6 years which will likely see the remainder of the street lighting stock replaced considering the number of Oracles and ZX2s that were rolled out in 2011. They are also planning to remove the lighting from certain illuminated road signs and replace them with reflective ones as well as the removal of street lighting on rural roads between towns. Around 7,000 units to be removed here.

Attachments:
photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG [ 81.56 KiB | Viewed 12060 times ]
 Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:40 pm 

Most of the new main road Cosmo lanterns I saw up in Co Durham recently were ZX12s. They use ZX12s rather than ZX2s because the smaller reflectors are better optimised to the Cosmo lamps. Of course, both the ZX12 and ZX2 have gone out of production.

Profile  Personal album