It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:45 pm 

According to Highways Magazine, central government has announced funding for street lighting improvements in the East Riding of Yorkshire and Darlington:

Quote:
The scheme will replace all 9,000 street lighting columns in East Riding aged over 40 years old, and will also upgrade the remaining 19,000 yellow/orange lamps to new LED light systems.

Quote:
Scheme includes two distinct elements (1) Strengthening of a key bridge and (2) upgrade of street lighting stock to address structural issues with columns and an upgrade to LED lighting.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:37 am 

Scott15 wrote:
Up here the Tees flyover is still SOX, along with a section of the A19 in County Durham. That is really the only large stocks of main road SOX around here. The A19 section in in very poor state with probably 1 in 3 units out. However the long SON lit section which follows is kept in a much better state.

The last time I was up that way after dark was a couple of years ago, and even then the flyover was looking a bit neglected - there was a section of about 4 columns near the Stockton end which were all out, and a number were dayburning too.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:23 am 
Random avatar

Northumberland County Council are upgrading all the streetlights in the county including newer ones too.

Ashington is about halfway through, my street has been highlighted for the renewal of the posts as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:49 pm 
Random avatar

Hello,

I'm new here but i have had an interest in street lightning for quite a long time and I'm currently building a collection, here's some of the street lighting in my hometown if your interested (sorry if it's in the wrong place)

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 656.72 KiB | Viewed 28699 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 620.53 KiB | Viewed 28699 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 422.69 KiB | Viewed 28699 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 730.69 KiB | Viewed 28699 times ]
image.png
image.png [ 2.27 MiB | Viewed 28699 times ]
image.png
image.png [ 4.75 MiB | Viewed 28699 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:51 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Gosh, that third one down looks a bit sorry for itself!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:18 am 
Random avatar

In the last two years there has been an invasion of Thorn LED lanterns in Durham, Newcastle, North and South Tyneside, Sunderland, Gateshead and Northumberland.

In Newcastle the thousands of Arcs  installed during the PFI have begun to be replaced with Thorn Isaro Pros of varying sizes.

Sunderland and South Tyneside are using a combination of R2L2 and CiviTecQ lanterns. These are replacing pre PFI son lanterns and the Iridiums installed during the PFI.

North Tyneside is using the CiviTecQ.  

Durham is using both R2L2 and CiviTecQ along with Amperas and Axias.

Gateshead is currently replacing all its main road lanterns with LED from a mix of SON iridiums and Cosmo sapphires with R2L2 in place of 250W SON and CiviTecQ in place of the lower wattage Cosmo lanterns.  They are running warm white LED which makes much better driving than the standard.

In Northumberland as part of its replacement scheme  the main lantern of choice has been the R2L2 running cool white, although some Amperas have appeared towards the end.

In all I’m pleased with the Thorn lanterns, they seem to outperform most of the others. I haven’t noticed too many design faults, too many Amperas dipping forward in the wind lately.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:25 pm 
Random avatar

Scott15 wrote:
In Newcastle the thousands of Arcs  installed during the PFI have begun to be replaced with Thorn Isaro Pros of varying sizes.

They have been used in Enfield as well also replacing Arcs, coincidentally on black columns in both areas.
Enfield example:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6386087 ... 384!8i8192
Newcastle example:
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.0015438 ... 312!8i6656

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:48 pm 
Random avatar

Scott15 wrote:
In the last two years there has been an invasion of Thorn LED lanterns in Durham, Newcastle, North and South Tyneside, Sunderland, Gateshead and Northumberland.

Sunderland and South Tyneside are using a combination of R2L2 and CiviTecQ lanterns. These are replacing pre PFI son lanterns and the Iridiums installed during the PFI.

North Tyneside is using the CiviTecQ.  

Durham is using both R2L2 and CiviTecQ along with Amperas and Axias.

Gateshead is currently replacing all its main road lanterns with LED from a mix of SON iridiums and Cosmo sapphires with R2L2 in place of 250W SON and CiviTecQ in place of the lower wattage Cosmo lanterns.  They are running warm white LED which makes much better driving than the standard.

In Northumberland as part of its replacement scheme  the main lantern of choice has been the R2L2 running cool white, although some Amperas have appeared towards the end.

In all I’m pleased with the Thorn lanterns, they seem to outperform most of the others. I haven’t noticed too many design faults, too many Amperas dipping forward in the wind lately.

The Arc's in Newcastle have actually been replaced by Phillips Lumistreet Gen1 and Gen2, and high mast lanterns replaced with Phosco P855's and P860's.

North Tyneside was originally using Thorn CiviTecQ, but its latest replacements use the Isaro Pro.

Gateshead now use 3000k CiviTecQ's for main roads and Schreder Axia 1 and 2 for side roads.

Stockton were one of the first to convert its entire stock to LED, and use only Schreder, namely the Ampera and Axia 1 and 2.

The A19 between Sunderland and the Tees flyover has the most interesting lighting at the moment. Starting at the Tees Flyover its partly lit by High Mast Phosco Columns with Schreder Omistar floods.
It then switches to a section of MA60's. Heading North away from the flyover they are followed by Ampera's, then Luma's, then a short unlit section.

Between Hartlepool and Sunderland there are 2 sections lit by Thorn Alpha 2000's, 1 large section by Siemens Broadways, a small section with MA 60's survived but a long stretch of those were replaced around 2 - 3 years ago with new columns and Ampera's.

What I find interesting is that the vast son-t lit section is still receiving replacement son-t lanterns. ZX2's, Sapphires, and Iridiums were most commonly used, with the last Iridiums going up within the last 6 months or so.

Now however Phosco P680's have shot up in large numbers! I have a feeling they haven't been set up properly as i'm sure these lanterns have several bulb/reflector positions and the optics are simply terrible! Very patchy on the road with dark spots and almost 'waves' of light (cant think of how else to describe it) but they really aren't very good at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:01 pm 
Random avatar

It seems that councils whose streetlighting was predominantly black Arcs on black columns have converted to black LumiStreets (Enfield, Camden, Newcastle etc), it is like they have the same contractor (although they don't and Camden dosen't have a PFI).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:34 am 
Random avatar

SpeedStar wrote:
It seems that councils whose streetlighting was predominantly black Arcs on black columns have converted to black LumiStreets (Enfield, Camden, Newcastle etc), it is like they have the same contractor (although they don't and Camden dosen't have a PFI).

It would seem that way.

Newcastle and North Tyneside Counsil's entered a Joint PFI with SSE when everything was replaced with black columns and Arc's. Whats odd is that the PFI is still active, however North Tyneside have replaced the Arc's with CivitecQ's and Isaro Pro's, where as Newcastle used entirely LumiStreets.