It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:20 am 
Random avatar

I had always thought they were ZX2s, too many ZXs that are all the same shape. In some areas the new replacements use SON and I believe the lanterns here are ZX2s. They used ZX2s in Weardale in the past but with the frosted type bowls, many are still in situ but now fitted with nodes and running Cosmo.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:48 am 

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
GEC 'Boat' found in Thornaby located near to the railway station. Did Cleveland County Council (as it was then) use these lanterns in great masses?

I must have gone past that three or four times and never noticed it! I'm always either on the main road, or walking over the rail bridge in the background (which is high sided so you can't really see over it)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:22 pm 
Random avatar

This ex gas column in Saddler Street Durham has now been replaced after many years of service, the new column is of an Albany design and fitted on a black tapered column. It has a CDO-TT bulb in but is currently unlit despite the old column being removed. It was a strange example as at some point in time an extension was added to the column to allow for finger posts to be attached, however back in 2012 these were removed and a stand alone sign post installed, around this time the column height was lowered and the lantern seen was removed and an Urbis K lux installed. However a few months back this failed and a ZXU1 was mounted post top and looked awful. I had thought then that this was a temporary measure and that replacement was imminent.

Meanwhile in Durham the LED replacements are storming ahead replacing 70W SON and 35 & 55W SOX using a mixture of Thorn Isaros both bowled and cut off versions and Urbis Axias. I cant decide whether they suit the concrete columns or not.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:43 am 

That fingerpost extension just looks wierd. A K-lux would have suited this column, but any design of road lantern on such a low column would not look right at all. There is actually one of these lanterns from the bridge to the left for sale on Ebay at the moment, minus the mounting frog.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful-Ant ... 35cc66f422

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:07 pm 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
That fingerpost extension just looks wierd. A K-lux would have suited this column, but any design of road lantern on such a low column would not look right at all. There is actually one of these lanterns from the bridge to the left for sale on Ebay at the moment, minus the mounting frog.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful-Ant ... 35cc66f422

As far as I know all of that type of lantern are still intact on Elvet Bridge although painted black, I believe that particular one has came off Framwellgate bridge, which is located at the other side of  Durham Market and of identicle design to Elvet Bridge. However all the lanterns on this bridge have been replaced with K-Luxs and if I remember correctly were of this type of design but in very poor condition and a few had been targeted by vandals. I always remember there was a Gamma Six in place of one for years.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:49 pm 
Random avatar

The Newcastle Western Bypass A1 has had all its slip roads North of the Tyne replaced with what I believe are Phillips Speedstar LED lanterns. These replace 250W SON Sapphires that are approximately four year old. Also replaced with LED were some very low black Sapphires under overhead cables just before the Seaton Burn Junction.

In Gateshead the residential LED replacement is almost complete with very few installations not supporting new lanterns.

In Durham LED residential replacements are too pushing forward. This is being quickened by a programme to replace single overhead cables with stranded concentric ones in the area I live in. They are also replacing the mounting brackets to the wood/steel poles with Pudsey Diamond combination boxes. The lanterns being used are Thorn Isaros.

Northumberland is too using LED lanterns now for casual replacements on both major and minor roads, the lanterns are Urbis Axias.

Newcastle Airport has also replaced all of its SON A2000s with LED lanterns of numerous types which I couldn't identify from the road.

Consett McDonalds has also replaced its typical lanterns with WRTL Stelas.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:11 am 

It'd be nice to think in a year or two I could be approaching on the train and see a sea of white LED instead of horrible SON everywhere!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:19 pm 
Random avatar

The main barrier to that would be the thousands of SON Arcs installed in Newcastle and North Tyneside and SON Iridiums in South Tyneside which hopefully may start be replaced by the end of this decade. Likely helped by the electronic gear, rising power prices and LED price falls. Not to forget also that Durham and Gateahead installed new SON as part of their replacement schemes on busy or rural roads so it is likely to be 2020 at least before we see the back of SON, unless they take on Cumbria's approach and re-lamp them with metal halide bulbs.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:27 am 

I do really hope they get relamped with CDO... because I fail to see a purpose for SON now in 2013, nevermind in 2023!!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:06 pm 
Random avatar

There's also a nearly the whole of Sunderland and Teesside which is too SON dominated. On the A19 near Silverlink a good number of SON A2000s have been replaced with LED Speedstars.

What you have to remember is that most of the Newcastle PFI was carried out from around 2005 - 2009 when the light source for nearly all places was SON. It's only in the last two years that we've seen anything other than SON for new run of the mill installations up here apart from CFL which has now taken a backseat due to LED technology.

Profile  Personal album