It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:00 pm 
Random avatar

Those decorations were only installed under Consett Urban District Council once it became Derwentside District Council  they were forgotten and now everything is under the control of Durham County Council, mores-the-pity as they say.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:40 pm 

Calderdale still mounts festive lighting to the concrete columns in Brighouse and Ripponden and also the metal columns in Halifax, Elland and the Upper Calder Valley.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:49 pm 

Looking at GSV it seems there used to be some pretty interesting lighting around Newcastle, lots of GEC stock including Bricks and this GEC ZD10517 post-top lantern. Im taking it there's a PFI that is homogenizing the area?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps?ll=54.964 ... ,,1,-17.04

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:59 am 
Random avatar

SilverRay88 wrote:
Looking at GSV it seems there used to be some pretty interesting lighting around Newcastle, lots of GEC stock including Bricks and this GEC ZD10517 post-top lantern. Im taking it there's a PFI that is homogenizing the area?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps?ll=54.964 ... ,,1,-17.04

These were all replaced during 2012/13 with a mixture of Sapphires and Iridiums. The 180W Blaydon Bricks were replaced with Iridiums running 250W SON, the smaller ones were replaced with Sapphires running 120W I believe Cosmo. All are fitted with node. Basically the whole lighting stock in Gateshead will have been replaced by the end of this year. They are currently hitting residential areas now at a fast pace.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:07 pm 
Random avatar

Nearly the whole Newcastle section of the A1 Western Bypass has had it's Sapphires swapped for LED Speedstars. The Sapphires have only been installed for around 5-4 years! The slip roads were swapped a few months back, but now the central reservation has too been completed between Blaydon Bridge and Gosforth. I believe they will be installed up to Seaton Burn junction once work on it is complete (preparatory work stage).

Gateshead has also installed it's first LEDs on a high mast in the place of 400w SON. I believe the lanterns are too Speedstars.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:57 pm 
Random avatar

The first lighting removals have started in County Durham. Columns to be disconnected and removed have been placed with a red X and a few days later either its is supply or the lanterns are removed. Lanterns which have been removed that are mounted on overhead poles have just their outreaches remaining.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:09 am 
Random avatar

Up here the Tees flyover is still SOX, along with a section of the A19 in County Durham. That is really the only large stocks of main road SOX around here. The A19 section in in very poor state with probably 1 in 3 units out. However the long SON lit section which follows is kept in a much better state.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:22 pm 
Random avatar

Claire wrote:
Scott15 wrote:
There is an Eleco (I think) concrete column still supports its SOX lantern but for how much longer I don't know. All other columns surrouding it have had their brackets removed and sapphires fitted. I imagine this will have a steel column installed in its place and will be pulled before long.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=dunston ... 7,,0,-5.67

As a bit of an update for Scott15 and the rest of you, I am in careful negotiation with the relevant people in trying to save this lantern along with its leak transformer. I understand that it's hung on because it is a total column replacement due in main to the existing concrete arm and the reluctance to sleeve. After this morning's phone call, I remain confident that the lantern will be saved. However, whether or not it comes down intact or in pieces remains to be seen.

Just out of interest, is this still going on? I pass that lamp on the bus to work most days and yesterday I noticed a grey post next to it suggesting it'll be gone soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:54 pm 
Random avatar

Just to add to the above post, I went past it today and got a better view of it. The grey lamp post is fitted with a Sapphire.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:37 pm 
Random avatar

Yes I've noticed this too, quite a while since I was last up that was but the A1 traffic took me up that route. It looks to be awaiting service transfer now.

Profile  Personal album