It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Overseas lighting
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:34 pm 

I found a bit of information regarding Belgium's motorway lighting policy, which helps to clarify some things. Belgium is a divided country that speaks two languages. It is broadly split into two regions, Flemish (Dutch) and Wallonia (French).

Since July 2011 there has been a new motorway lighting policy in the Flemish region. This has seen a considerable amount of motorway lighting permanently switched off, with another considerable proportion dynamically switched. Dynamic switching is a number of things. One aspect is part night lighting, switching off in the early hours. Another aspect is to keep the lighting switched off, but to switch it on depending on traffic volumes, weather conditions, the presence of roadworks or incidents. There is relatively little all night lighting on the mainlines of motorways. Slip roads are retaining all night lighting, as are sections of motorway where junctions are less than 3km apart, as are ring motorways around cities where traffic volumes are particularly high, and sections of motorway which are of a lower design standard.

To give a rough example of the extent of lighting switch off, prior to the policy being implemented around 84% of Flemish motorways were lit all night. Since then, this has dropped to less than 48%, or around 18% all-night lighting and 29% dynamically switched lighting. Apparently it saves the authorities around EUR 2million per year. I'm not sure what rate they are charged.

Below is a map of the Flemish region showing the status of motorway lighting. Green means all-night, orange means dynamically switched, and red means permanently switched off.

Interestingly there are motorways on the map which supposedly have all night or dynamically switched lighting, yet when we visited were unlit either due to failed lamps or the columns being chopped at the bases, so even where lighting isn't permanently switched off it doesn't guarantee the lighting is in full working order!

Meanwhile, in the Wallonia region lighting is retained, but lighting in the central reservation is part night. This applied in the Flemish region from 2007 to 2011.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:06 pm 
Random avatar

Just taken a look at Gibraltar's lighting and was quite surprised how much variety there is for such a small territory! The staple main road lantern at the moment seems to be the Thorn Jet installed double-bracket and post-top. It looks as if the staple lantern before the Jet was the MRL6, as there are loads of them dotted around. There are also Albanies installed top-entry on standard columns and even on a CONCRETE COLUMN, DW Windsor Dovers and Stratums, a few very early GEC Bricks, GEC Z9454s installed top-entry likethis and this, as well on unsleeved concrete columns (including one installed with a top-entry adapter with a side-entry extension), S&L columns, one on a stay bar column in an industrial area and a few top-entry and wall-mounted. There's these unknown post-top lanterns (which I believe are used to light some McDonalds car parks in the UK) which light the coastal road. An Alpha 4 and an unknown lantern light a car park, and a Thorn Riviera and a blue Arc light the entrance to the dock area.

On side roads, the staple lantern seems to be the SRL8, but these and DW Windsor Salisburysare also very common and the town centre has these. There's this and this on one street near the town centre. Here we have a GEC Z9536 installed on a wall bracket attached to a pipe and tucked away around the back of some flats are a couple of Thorn Gamma 5s, a WRTL 2000 and a couple of GEC Z5670 post-tops. There are some more of the latter lanterns in rather mint condition here. A rather camera-shy Philips XGS104 can be seen here. There's this elongated post-top lighting the entrance to a private drive. Finally, there are what look like Thorn Nellas lighting this car park, which I think are rather attractive!

Last edited by Rojojnr on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:10 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Fantastic post - great to see so many older products in situ abroad.

Rojojnr wrote:
There are also Albanies installed top-entry on standard columns and even on a CONCRETE COLUMN

Wow! Albany goes 'Plain Jane' - thank goodness our LAs don't take this approach to make for a half-baked attempt at 'heritage lighting'. The concrete example really is a rarity though and a good way of preserving the column through a top-entry retro-fit.

This is one of the best finds - and very popular with the birds too, it seems...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:35 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
Wow! Albany goes 'Plain Jane' - thank goodness our LAs don't take this approach to make for a half-baked attempt at 'heritage lighting'. The concrete example really is a rarity though and a good way of preserving the column through a top-entry retro-fit.

Yeah, Gibraltar seems to have a "make do and mend" policy with its lighting. I would imagine, from seeing other columns in the city, that the Albanys probably replaced Z9454s.

It's a shame GSV hasn't covered all the other British territories so we can see what lighting they use! The only way you can find out is by looking at the photos that are dotted about, but that would take forever!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:32 pm 
Random avatar

Also found this in Gibraltar!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:25 pm 
Random avatar

Indust wrote:
Also found this in Gibraltar!

Yep, I've linked to that and another wall-mounted one as well here:

Rojojnr wrote:
here's this and this on one street near the town centre

It's a GEC fluorescent, isn't it?

Just had a look at a place closer to home - Jersey - to see if I could find anything special there, but compared to Gibraltar it's very dull in lighting terms! The main roads are mostly lit with either MK II or MK III Alpha 8s. There are also some Albanies,including a roundabout installation with three Albanys installed on heritage brackets and Phosco (I think) Albany equivalents, occasional ZX2/3s and what I believe are Urbis Aledos lighting the road to the ferry terminal and a few roads in the town centre. There are also some Evolos and disc lanterns lighting the entrance to the airport, but all of those (except perhaps for the Aledos) are as common as muck! The only real rarities on the island are Thorn Alpha 30s on Victoria Avenue in St Helier, although a large number of these were replaced with Urbis Hestias in 2009/2010 following a resurfacing scheme). Some Alpha 30s still do survive near the 2 junctions with St Aubin's Road, however.

The side roads, meanwhile, are lit about 95% with Beta 79s. There is one ZX1 casual replacement by the harbour and some Victorian heritage lanterns in the town centre, but that's about it!

So certainly not as exciting as Gibraltar, although the Alpha 30s are a rarity and it is quite unusual to see the Beta 79 in such large usage! You don't see that many Aledos around these days, either!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:47 am 

When I went to Naples Bay on holiday, I saw many unidentifiable lanterns like these ones that look like distorted Alpha 3s
here
I also saw some MA series lanterns on the motorway near the airport, the only SOX lights I saw on my trip.
here

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:24 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I'm unable to view the GSV links but I know the MA60s you mean as I saw them when I visited back in 2011. However, there were quite a few examples of SOX tunnel lighting throughout the region too.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:35 pm 

Hello again!
I've been told that the post from yesterday has invalid links.
I'm not sure what's going on, so I'll include the locations to copy and paste into maps search below.

San Pietro, Province of Naples, Italy :for the Alpha-3-ish lanterns

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=San+Piet ... 3,,1,-9.73

Viadotto Capodichino, Naples, Province of Naples, Italy :for the MA60s (if you look at the interchange, you can find Iridiums).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Viadotto ... 0,,1,-9.11

Via Carbonara, Naples, Province of Naples, Italy :for suspended lanterns that look a bit like upside down Bakewell tart foil.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Via+Carb ... 7,,0,-6.03

Via Giuseppe Cosenza, Castellammare di Stabia, Province of Naples, Italy :for Sapphires (I know that isn't amazing, but Urbis is rare in that area).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Via+Gius ... 6,,1,-6.51

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:16 pm 
Site Administration

I've fixed your links. To make GSV work on the forum you need to drag the yellow man symbol to the street you want, once it zooms and opens the street scene, press the Link button (next to the print button) on GSV. A new window will open - cut and paste the URL from that new window into your message.

Profile  Personal album