Thanks a lot  :)

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Overseas lighting
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:13 pm 

Excuse me but my post focused on the SS145 and SS163 intersection. I noticed the difference just now.

Just to let you know.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:14 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Acacia Cat wrote:
Excuse me but my post focused on the SS145 and SS163 intersection. I noticed the difference just now..

Ah - I'm just looking at the moderation details for that post and it appears the links that were modified might only be approximately where you intended. Feel free to edit the post to update whichever to the specified intersection. :)

Going back to SOX, I've just remembered I posted a few images on page 2 of this thread of some fairly new SRS201s installed at the Pompeii visitors centre:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:57 pm 
Random avatar

After a recent trip to El Campello in Spain, I was surprised to see the amount of MBF that has vanished in recent years, replaced mostly with SON and some very energy wasting setups.

This recently installed new paving here leading into the main street had its original lighting removed but only columns on that side of the road, the other side has been fitted with Albany type lanterns in a 'father and son' type setup. The new columns are installed as if there were no other lighting on the road leading to a significant amount of over lighting. Here is the particular street.

A nice exampleof a low height double arm MBF installation with unknown lanterns

This has to be one of the most wasteful lighting setups I have ever seen. The iridium runs a 100W SON bulb and the Oynx Runs a 250W SON bulb, both are in operation. The Oynx lanterns that can be seen further along have now been removed and replaced with modern lighting which runs SON. The new lanterns can be seen if you scroll forward. The double bracket Onyx installation is still in situ.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:10 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:

Those look like Simplex Jupiters to me!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:51 am 
Random avatar

Rojojnr wrote:
Quote:

Those look like Simplex Jupiters to me!

They look big in the street view but they are tiny when viewed up close, much to small for a Jupiter.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:39 am 
Site Administration

Copenhagen in Denmark is a catenary lighting delight. Practically the whole of the city centre is lit using this method. This is a typical scene with these dome shaped lanterns. Many are actually LED versions made by Phillips.. There are also white versions, and here. This makes a for a far less cluttered street scene  compared to columns. In many cases the catenary is live and provides power as well as support, but sometimes insulated feeds are used.

Older versions of the lanterns are used, some run SON but most use elliptical MH lamps here.. In some areas of the city the lanterns have been designed with a contemporary twist.  Made by the international lighting firm Louis Poulsen, the outer dome is translucent and glows at night. The lantern uses a MH lamp.

Columns are extremely rare but usually functional.  However there is a sign of the past in  these  columns
but not with original lanterns.  Very similar columns were found elsewhere but with different lanterns and decorations!. Nearby was a shorter cast column.

There were some old heritage lanterns that were originally gas and have been converted to electricity here and here, no modern repros!

The real surprise was finding some GEC lanterns, what looks to be very similar to a Clearmain on an old warehouse but the real find was in the former Carlsberg brewery, now a museum. GEC Z5640  lanterns but with copper canopies (they were green with copper verdigris, so not painted) rather than aluminium. The wide brimmed version was also present.

There was also a row of these fluorescent lanterns in a loading bay. Lanterns similar to this are still use to light streets in the suburbs near the airport.

I spotted a similar but longer lantern lighting a courtyard.

Saving the best to last... A look on GSV before I left showed a street lit with catenary fluorescents not far from my hotel. That imagery dated from 2009. However when I went to check them out, they had all been replaced with the Philips white domed LED lanterns apart from this single span. What a disappointment. The lanterns look to be 1980s vintage.

However it seems that “cul de sac luck” works outside the UK as well. A few hundred metres away in a cul de sac were 2 of these much older open fluorescent lanterns.  Now only fitted with one 5ft 80W tube, they give an insight to how Copenhagen must have been lit back in the 1950s and 60s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:52 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Fab photos - I love the fact you've captured all the variations of their standard catenary lantern design. I went to Copenhagen last year and remember it being very catenary-heavy, though I don't recall seeing any LED versions - how common are they now?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:25 pm 
Site Administration

There are probably more LED versions than discharge ones. They seem very new.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:44 pm 
Site Administration

I spotted in the coffee area at work, a "photo special" magazine by Cycling Weekly of the Tour de France but containing photos from the 1950s and 60s.

There is also some vintage streetlighting in shot - unfortunately they are not totally in focus as the cyclists were obvioulsy the subject matter of the photos.

No names are credited to the photos and the majority don't have an exact location, however they do give an insight into how rural lighting used to be in France - very similar to Dutch and German lighting that still survives today. These installations would have been installed during the reconstruction of France after WW2. Today, sadly France is mostly SON and these installations are long gone.

1968 and fluorescent lantern on long curved bracket.

1962 and twin lamp fluorescent on up tilt bracket.

1966 and similar installations.

1958, and the town of Guingamp.

Profile  Personal album