It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Overseas lighting
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:23 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
55W at 8m is common.

Speaking of which, we saw some 80W PL-L lanterns mounted at 10m on the equivalent of an A-road. They were perfectly good, and when we saw them weather conditions were poor, and the test of good street lighting is if it is good in poor weather.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:24 pm 
Site Administration

The link between Philips and Eleco has been previously documented.

Evidence of this via Marcel van der Kolk from the Netherlands.

Pictured in Apledoorn, Philips HPP153 or Eleco Way if you prefer.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:33 am 

I'm going to California on the 23rd and will come back on the 6th of August. After that (hopefully) I can post about the lighting situation over there. I am aware of these ancient lanterns, which I believe are not uncommon. There's also these rare concrete columns (concrete columns are relatively rare in the states). Although cobra heads are not, strictly speaking, the most attractive lantern, there are some rather interesting columns and brackets.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:31 am 
Random avatar

I far prefer a lot of the American cobra head designs than the ones we often have over here. The Westinghouse OV lanterns are among my favourites. If you are going to be near San-Jose then look out for the SOX towards lick observatory. Being the US I expect you'll see a lot of HPS mixed in with mercury.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:55 pm 

Hello, I'm back from the states. I'm sorry it took me so long to post, I had technical difficulties (jetlag, irritating electronics). This  post will use GSV and photos. Now, to begin...

San Fransisco uses a variety of SON and a few LEDs. Pictures start here. Some of the lanterns are untraceable, But I can identify M-400A2s (Cobraheads, M-400R2s, 201SAs, -250A2, M-400s(or similar and OVs. This is not a streetlight, but still of interest :D. This lantern was mentioned on the Heritage Topic, and I believe I've found one in China Town. America uses some of the longest brackets I've ever seen. These ones are longer than the columns! That's enough of San Fransisco, now on to Santa Cruz

On the way to Santa Cruz, I noticed some lanterns at a junction that looked like a cross between a P655 and a ZX3. I can't find the exact spot, but here's a similar installation. As a side note I found a night scene by accident! My camera messed up at Santa Cruz, but that didn't matter, because Santa Cruz is mostly lit with LEDs and the usual combination of SON lanterns.

What's the most rustic way to attach a street to a telephone column? With a bit of wood of course! Most of them sag considerably. The shovel flood is rather common in carparks and so are those massive fluorescents behind the camera!

In San Jose, I noticed Many SOX lanterns. There are [url]these[/url] MA50-ish lanterns and these Tamcourt-Z9554 hybrids. Oakland has used LED cobra heads on every regular street. Photos start here. Grand avenue uses old ex-mercury lanterns. Here's an attempted "arty" shot of one (my phone sometimes auto-enhances or filters photos, so they might look a bit strange). Most of Oakland's LEDs are size 1 or 2, except a few size 3s. Berkeley uses LED lanterns on side roads but still uses brown Cobraheads on main roads. I presume main roads will get LED lanterns soon.

Well, that's a basic summary of what I found.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:01 pm 

I was in the Neukölln area of Berlin at an event in the Estrel a few weeks ago.  The whole area is full of Fluorescent lighting. Was a magnificent sight.

Images are not mine.
Click
Click

Last edited by Stelmer on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:56 pm 
Site Administration

The links don't work.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:55 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
The links don't work.

Edited. Pics are uploaded to my dropbox.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:39 am 
Random avatar

sotonsteve wrote:
I've seen a picture of the Philips MA series in Canada before, although they were never all that common. I am not aware of any across the border in the USA.

Philips SOX lanterns were used on the Don Valley Parkway in Toronto in the late 70s to mid 90s

Thorn/and or GE lanterns resembling Alpha 4s/6s using Philips SOX lamps were also used on the Gardiner Expressway in Toronto over the same time period.

All info is available under the "History" menu option on this page, along with lots of pictures and a write-up on the lighting:

http://www.gettorontomoving.ca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:19 pm 
Site Administration

A recent trip to Malta was an eye opener for lighting.

The small Mediterranean island state of Malta has long had strategic military importance due to its location.  Suffering a longer period of continuous bombing during the 2nd World War than the London Blitz, the country was recognised for its bravery by the awarding of the George Cross by King George VI in 1942. Britain contributed £30m to aid rebuilding following WW2 and Malta became independent in 1964.

Perhaps it is a legacy of the ties to Britain and the aid provided for rebuilding, but a surprising amount of British lighting equipment dating from the late 1950s (and undoubtedly installed as part of the rebuild) still survives especially in the capital, Valletta. Other British lighting from the 1960s and 70s also survives but faces  the onslaught of the AEC Uno lantern, which now seems to be the favoured installation throughout Malta.

Catenary lighting is still widespread but with GEC refractor lanterns from the 1950s and another as well as Revo Horizons and what appears to be an Eleco HW720 variant.

I even found some disused SOX.

More SOX here in the most unusual of places.

GEC highmasts with early Z3430s, Z8896s, Z8832s, Turtles, and small Oxfords.

A few Revo products such as open reflector lantern, battered Solumbra and crispy Diadem.

There were even Thorn lanterns, a Mk3 Alpha 8.

Not much LED but there were some of these with "ring" canopies and also this.

However nothing will beat the sight of vintage catenary like this, once all mercury but now SON.

Profile  Personal album