It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Scotland
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:12 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Fantastic. I notice this installation has received a Tamlite 'Tamcourt' retrofit, though this lantern is manufactured as side entry so I'm assuming they've drilled through the Nema socket?!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:10 pm 

My camera's memory card was full after a few days on Arran, and I didn't have the time to stop and snap them anyway, else I'd have photographed them. Edit: perhaps not a good idea, considering the location. The Saltcoats/Stevenston/Ardrossan area is pretty rough.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:18 pm 
Random avatar

Oh that looks just awful ! They could at least have ground off the top entry mount and fit it side entry...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:40 am 
Random avatar

Hi, I have just come back from a coach-trip to see the Edinburgh tatoo, and  that involved an overnight stop in the centre of Glasgow.

I was very surprised to see various lighting installations which appeared original while in Edinburgh, noticably concrete columns with 90 watt GEC (type unknown) SOX lanterns, which were on a lot of the estate roads which run off from the main road as you travel into Edinburgh from the M8 Motorway.
Also of note were some Eleco (I think) SOX lanterns on old steel or iron columns in some of the small streets around the castle areas.
On an industrial estate visible from the M8, there were some lanterns which were open underneath, and the bowl was either white acylic or white glass. I couldn't get any pictures, as I was on the coach on the motorway, but these are due to come out as the new columns were already in place.

In Glasgow centre I saw some 55watt SOX, on steel columns, the unusual thing about them is they were still fed from overhead cables supported on porcelain insulators. I thought all this type of installations would have gone, especially as there was modern buildings around the area these lamps were in.

I am sorry I can't be more precise about locations or lantern types, and I couldn't get any pictures as it is not easy photographing anything from the window of a tour coach.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:03 am 
Random avatar

OK, I found out those unusal open-bowled lanterns are on a road called Royston Road, which is just outside Edinburgh. If anyone can save one, I would be willing to give it a home.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:10 pm 

I'm pretty sure the ones you are talking about are GEC Z9454C lanterns, as I've seen some of those on an industrial estate by the M8.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:04 am 
Random avatar

Scotland seems to be a bit of a treasure box for old lanterns. On a different Royston Road, I found these. There are so many of them too!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:52 am 
Site Administration

Those are the ones sotonsteve is referring to. We spotted those 2 and half years ago whilst we were on a trip that way.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16 am 
Random avatar

Unfortunately their days are seriously numbered now, as when I passed on the coach trip, the replacement columns were already in place. As it was daytime, I don't know if the new columns were already in use, or if the old lanterns were still in use.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:35 am 
Random avatar

Worrying times!

Profile  Personal album