It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Scotland
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:20 pm 

So much top entry SOX and concrete to be seen on GSV around Edinburgh.

http://goo.gl/maps/eqzHT
In this particular scene, they seem to be illuminating a private yard of some sort. Im sure there are plenty that cant be seen here. Normally you'd regard these as forgotten relics, surviving only because they're isolated, but this area has many examples still in service on public roads.

Brilliant!

OT: In the trees you can see two diamond shaped objects, I'm wondering if these are cross arms of disused transmission lines or an above ground transformer.

Or possible even older double brackets!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:11 pm 
Random avatar

The lanterns look similar to some used in Glasgow that I posted earlier in the thread, I think I decided they were some sort of old GEC lantern after looking around some websites.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:16 pm 
Site Administration

Look like GEC Z9455/65 lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:13 pm 
Random avatar

Eh, that's confusing.

Going from this http://www.midlandcountiesstreetlightin ... 6.html#GEC Z9450 lantern

I would say they were a Z9454. they're quite common in Glasgow as well, along with the flat bottomed Z9450 that I've seen on concretes. Doubting myself now, and the GEC numbering system confuses me no end.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:49 am 
Site Administration

I wasn't looking at the nearest one, that looks like a Phosco P156 given the ridges on the end of the bowl.  The far one on the right, appears to have a wedge shaped bowl bottom - GEC Z9455/65.

They definitely aren't a Z9454 which is a side entry lantern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:00 am 
Random avatar

Well after a trip up too the Highlands I can report that the lighting is changing. In Aviemore all of the Alpha 8s (MK11) have now been replaced with a combination of SGS203s in the town centre, and Blue DW Windsor Rios on the road leading north out of Aviemore. The S&L columns have been retained and painted blue.  The unusual wooden columns still remain.

In the other towns which all previously supported the same setup Stewart and Lloyds with Alpha 8s have had their columns either replaced or lantern swaps, the lantern of choice appears to be the Arc. Although a current scheme I saw was using Sapphires.

One thing that was nice too see was some SOX Gamma 6s in a caravan park. The last time I was there the Cairngorm Hotel was lit from the front with three 90W SOX floodlights at ground level. These have now been replaced with 250W SON floodlights.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:55 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
Well after a trip up too the Highlands I can report that the lighting is changing. In Aviemore all of the Alpha 8s (MK11) have now been replaced with a combination of SGS203s in the town centre, and Blue DW Windsor Rios on the road leading north out of Aviemore. The S&L columns have been retained and painted blue.  The unusual wooden columns still remain.

In the other towns which all previously supported the same setup Stewart and Lloyds with Alpha 8s have had their columns either replaced or lantern swaps, the lantern of choice appears to be the Arc. Although a current scheme I saw was using Sapphires.

One thing that was nice too see was some SOX Gamma 6s in a caravan park. The last time I was there the Cairngorm Hotel was lit from the front with three 90W SOX floodlights at ground level. These have now been replaced with 250W SON floodlights.

How very interesting! The authority has missed its opportunity to go for more modern technology and chosen the SGS203 instead. I would have thought it would have installed the Rios in the town centre and the SGS203s leading out of the town centre as well, but clearly the authority has other ideas! Nice to know that the S&L columns and those unusual wooden columns have been retained too, as I really like them!

The field centre and lodge I stayed in when I went to the Cairngorms back in 2010 had its car park lit with Gamma 6s as well, but running SON. It seems that the Gamma 6 is a popular private lantern in the Highlands!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:05 pm 
Random avatar

Those wooden columns are newish. They were installed around 6 years ago as part of a footpath improvement scheme. I visited as it was in progress. The columns replaced by them were Alpha8s on S&Ls.  They do look good.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:54 pm 
Random avatar

Gamma 6s aren't just popular in the highlands, we still have an abundance of them here in the lowlands. There are several here that run mercury too. We also have a fair amount of Alpha 8s still in use but Arcs and Iridiums (mostly Arcs, to be honest) spread like wildfire as the most common casual replacements.

I took a trip to a sleepy post-war new town in East Kilbride this weekend, which had nice old metal lamp posts with swan neck brackets:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.76136 ... !2e0?hl=en

Given their design, height and positioning on the kerb, I'd say they're original to the road. I like the prongs at the top which I assume were to rest a ladder against. Most are using a lantern like the one in the image, however some have MI36s and there is the odd one that looks like, I can only describe as a "short" hyperion. Who knows how long they will remain as Iridiumification is happening around the area. No photos this time as I did not have my proper camera with me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:04 am 
Site Administration

The columns are by Stewarts and Lloyds dating from the early 1960s. The lanterns are more modern Thorn Beta 2s probably 1990s vintage looking at the bowls. I wonder if they replaced earlier SOX lanterns or if mercury was originally fitted ?

Profile  Personal album