It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Scotland
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:22 pm 
Random avatar

Does any body like these modern wood column installations in Aviemore. I personally like them they look smart and something different from the bog standard post top Arc or Iridium on an Aluminium column.  They replaced Alpha8 MK2s on S&L columns. Further along the road post top SGS203s are installed but these date from the late 1990s by the looks of them.

Look at this and this which have replaced  post top SGS203s

Here are some more of the wooden columns, this view shows some supporting indirect lighting also. The taller columns lighting the road have a shorter bracket that the ones in the first link.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:18 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Nice find there - they've certainly gone very upmarket! I'm not sure I like any of the installations though; the wooden columns would take some getting used to.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:26 pm 

There's certainly an "Alpine ski village" feel they've got going with those wood columns... and it has to be said they are unique and so give a sense of regional identity. The first ones look OK, the ones in the last link look a bit too chunky for my liking...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:50 am 
Random avatar

They wouldn't suit every area. I imagine they cost an absolute bomb but at least they run some kind of metal halide lamps.

Here is the company that manufactures them - http://www.norbuild.co.uk/products/stre ... treetf.htm

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:43 pm 

Been working in Aberdeen all this week, and the whole city is like a tribute to 60s and 70s street lighting. Been trying to get some time away from work during the day to take some decent photos. So far I've seen GEC Z8403s, Z8430s (running mercury!), Thorn Alpha 3s by the truckload, Z8526 turtles on lovely curved columns, which take the lantern heads right into the middle of the carriageway - lovely. Unfortunately some of these have been replaced with modern columns and nasty post tops, completely devoid of character.

Will post up what I find!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:14 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
Does any body like these modern wood column installations in Aviemore. I personally like them they look smart and something different from the bog standard post top Arc or Iridium on an Aluminium column.  They replaced Alpha8 MK2s on S&L columns. Further along the road post top SGS203s are installed but these date from the late 1990s by the looks of them.

Look at this and this which have replaced  post top SGS203s

Here are some more of the wooden columns, this view shows some supporting indirect lighting also. The taller columns lighting the road have a shorter bracket that the ones in the first link.

Yes, saw those wooden columns when I was on a field trip in the Cairngorms in April 2010. I think they look great and add a touch of the surrounding forest to Aviemore village centre. Grampian Road certainly has quite an eclectic mix of lighting as it passes through Aviemore, that's for sure!

The indirect lights you mention are Abacus Sail lanterns. I love them as they add a rather nautical touch to an area, although it is rather irrelevant here in the Highlands!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:57 pm 
Random avatar

Yes, I really like those unique timber constructed columns, they definitely suit the area.  I used to go along that railway line between Edinburgh to Inverness in my old career.  It's one of my most favourite places in Inverness and their street lighting is nice in my opinion.  Last time I was there was September 2010.  Awhile ago now :( time has flown.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:15 am 
Founder
Random avatar

Scotland aims for 100% LED streetlights (Retweeted by @UKASTLE)

"The Scottish government expects to make energy savings of 60 per cent by replacing the country’s existing stock with LEDs."

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:48 pm 

Take a look at these beauties in Auchenharvie:

http://goo.gl/maps/H5XGI

Carry on up the road and you'll see plenty more. This is Hillside Street in Auchenharvie, which is close to Saltcoats in North Ayrshire. I was staying on Arran in May, and returned via Dumfries, and my trip took me through this area, so I can confirm that they were still extant at that time.

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:47 am 
Site Administration

Crumbs! CU Avenue 4D columns with their original brackets and all in good condition. What a find!

Profile  Personal album