It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Scotland
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:24 pm 
Random avatar

Some of the installations in my local area (Dunoon) are ... interesting, to say the least, so I got them while I was out taking photos this weekend. The following two in particular make me chuckle whenever I see them:

These triangular lamp posts seem to be particularly feeble, and incapable of properly supporting what they're designed for. In fairness, I imagine they weren't intended for use with anything much heavier than a Beta 5 - but the council seems to know how flaky the brackets are, as every few months they seem to mysteriously tighten up!

This second one, which isn't an isolated example I may add, seems to have been a wise decision seeing how heavy an Arc is. The council have decided to forgo the bracket entirely and instead simply shove it on to the post top!

The grub screws are sticking way out of the back, so I'd bet you a tenner they've literally plonked it on the post and tightened the screws into it hoping for the best. Possibly a bit unconventional, but as it's a triangular post it seems to do the job!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:17 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Glasgow starts work on major streetlight projects (Retweeted by @UKASTLE)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:49 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Concerns in Edinburgh surrounding LED installations (Retweeted by @UKASTLE)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:35 pm 
Random avatar

Attachment:
File comment: same lamps in East Kilbride though late 50's early 60's all originally has mercury lanterns and they looked much nicer.
IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1157.jpg [ 123.95 KiB | Viewed 18060 times ]
trencheel303 wrote:
Gamma 6s aren't just popular in the highlands, we still have an abundance of them here in the lowlands. There are several here that run mercury too. We also have a fair amount of Alpha 8s still in use but Arcs and Iridiums (mostly Arcs, to be honest) spread like wildfire as the most common casual replacements.

I took a trip to a sleepy post-war new town in East Kilbride this weekend, which had nice old metal lamp posts with swan neck brackets:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.76136 ... !2e0?hl=en

Given their design, height and positioning on the kerb, I'd say they're original to the road. I like the prongs at the top which I assume were to rest a ladder against. Most are using a lantern like the one in the image, however some have MI36s and there is the odd one that looks like, I can only describe as a "short" hyperion. Who knows how long they will remain as Iridiumification is happening around the area. No photos this time as I did not have my proper camera with me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:51 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

A visitor has been in touch via the contact page with the following information:

It would be worth visiting Alloa near Stirling as soon as possible. There are numerous low-pressure sodium lanterns in Mar Street, Glebe Terrace and elsewhere but they are slated for replacement imminently. In Mar Street and Mar Place there are a number of surviving high columns with curled brackets, 1950's at the latest. I cannot see well enough to identify the lanterns positively but I think most are Phosco but don't hold me to it

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 pm 

Alex wrote:
A visitor has been in touch via the contact page with the following information:

It would be worth visiting Alloa near Stirling as soon as possible. There are numerous low-pressure sodium lanterns in Mar Street, Glebe Terrace and elsewhere but they are slated for replacement imminently. In Mar Street and Mar Place there are a number of surviving high columns with curled brackets, 1950's at the latest. I cannot see well enough to identify the lanterns positively but I think most are Phosco but don't hold me to it

I took the liberty of popping a couple of GSVs on, showing the columns on Mar Place. Are they S&L with GEC Z9455s? They look very similar to those in Colchester (in a previous posting) before conversion to LED.

There can't be that many of these around nowadays, especially with their original brackets.

Attachments:
all3.jpg
all3.jpg [ 103.1 KiB | Viewed 17133 times ]
all2.jpg
all2.jpg [ 132.61 KiB | Viewed 17133 times ]
all1.jpg
all1.jpg [ 122.69 KiB | Viewed 17133 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:33 am 
Site Administration

They are GEC Z9455/65 lanterns (depending on if internal gear or not) on S&L columns. Colchester has similar columns as does Reading in Berkshire.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:36 am 
Random avatar

In August 2013, the-gog wrote:
Take a look at these beauties in Auchenharvie:

http://goo.gl/maps/H5XGI

Carry on up the road and you'll see plenty more. This is Hillside Street in Auchenharvie, which is close to Saltcoats in North Ayrshire. I was staying on Arran in May, and returned via Dumfries, and my trip took me through this area, so I can confirm that they were still extant at that time.

Richard

Phosco152 wrote:
Crumbs! CU Avenue 4D columns with their original brackets and all in good condition. What a find!

These are Springbank 'C' columns.  There used to be a lot of them around the Larbert and Grangemouth area.  They can still be seen on Google Earth.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:44 pm 
Site Administration

Thank's for the additional information.

Simon Cornwell's site has further information.

Now that the manufacturer has been correctly identified, and with reference to Simon's site, there are indeed slight detail differences at the top of the column shaft/bracket base, compared to the CU's - probably to avoid patent/registered design infringements.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:53 am 
Random avatar

Also in Larbert are these strange concrete lamp posts.  There are a lot more of them further down this road.  Don't know what make they are.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.03052 ... 312!8i6656