It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Scotland
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:12 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Following on from  trencheel303's Glasgow theme, look what Mike Barford has discovered:

Clicky :!:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:32 am 

Alex wrote:
Following on from  trencheel303's Glasgow theme, look what Mike Barford has discovered:

Clicky :!:

Might see these as I'm up there in a few weeks, lets hope that they're still standing.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:59 pm 
Random avatar

Oh, hello hello! I'll be able to check those in a short while so I'll let you guys know. Currently driving up the M6 after picking up a 135 watt'er from "classic.lamps" (in person!) and having circled the M60 twice to see the MA50s and 60s on there, of which there is TONS. Photos to follow - in the appropriate section obviously.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:00 pm 

These have been known about for some years, and efforts were made to save them. I can't recall why the 'save' never happened, but had something to do with the land owners.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:07 pm 
Random avatar

Does that mean they're still there and just not doing anything or they're scrapped?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:27 am 
Random avatar

I was a bit bored earlier so I figured there was nothing better to do on a Saturday evening than drive around my locality and look for some mercury...

...found some!

Pure mercury, this one's going rather green.

Mercury and SON. A few of them are like this. The funny thing is, a few seconds after I took a photo of one, the SON lamp went out. Now, going on the logical assumption that the mercury lamps are older than the SON, this attests to their long life.

Outside the fire station. This is another installation that the presumably older mercury has outlasted the SON, which was cycling.

Left the best till last. Hunters Quay Holiday Village caravan park is FULL of Gamma 6s running Mercury. There must have been 10+, and they're pretty much the sole light source. I've only got the one just now, but at a quieter time I'm determined to photograph more. This particular one was doing a fabulous job of illuminating a tree, as the pole was far too high.

The more I look the more I realise there's actually a load around here, it may even be more common than SOX. I do like the technical aspects of mercury but as a light source,  it is useless.  :lol:  It just doesn't seem to light anything more than three feet away from the bulb! I'm assuming the lamps I saw here were all the colour corrected kind, as when I attempted to analyse the spectral lines, it was mostly a blur of violet, green, yellow and red, which would make sense as I believe fluorescence looks this way on a spectro.

PS. What is the lantern type in the first two images? And, does anyone know what the ones on the fire station are likely to be?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:30 am 
Site Administration

The first 2 images are Thorn Precinct lanterns but mounted "back to back". Need a daytime image of the fire station ones to be sure of their type.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:49 pm 

I'm not surprised the SON lamp went out, it looks awfully red in that photo.

Those precincts are a great installation! The lantern on it's own is rare anyway, but finding a double version running mercury is an excellent spot! :D

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:25 pm 
Random avatar

That particular Precinct that I posted wasn't the SON one that blew, but another round the corner. There's quite a few of them but most are now running SON, I think the double mercury might have been the only one running pure mercury. I think the car park lights might be MV as well but they're in these sort of odd bollard things and must be no more than 50W or so as I've seen brighter candles.

I must get back up to that caravan park as those mercury Gamma 6s are a sight to behold, but I need to figure out how to put my brave hat on and ignore the fact that I'll probably have about 50 caravans' worth of people staring at me  :shock:

Here's the fire station in daylight, I don't know if there's enough resolution to ID the light holders:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dunoo ... c9b7b031dd

Also if you turn that around 180 degrees or so you'll see the hospital, that's where the Precincts are. The pure MV one is behind that big conifer tree I think.

As ever, thank you Phosco152 for help with identification.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:33 am 
Site Administration

The bulkhead between the red roller shutter doors may be a Holophane Wallpackette. These can run SON or MBF. The other bulkheads look to be modern but are too indistinct to name.

Profile  Personal album